LaunchBox Community Forums

Big Box launches games incorrectly, but opens retroarch correctly

Papadon

Running a dual monitor setup with a CRT - everything is configured correctly and working, but launching games directly from BigBox opens Retroarch in somewhat of a 'windowed' mode and the CRT doesn't flash and change resolution. It also leaves a small gap at the bottom of the screen almost like it's avoiding filling the space where the windows taskbar sits. Once this happens, I have to go into Video Output in Retroarch and manually switch the output resolution to force Retroarch to go full-screen and everything works at that point. If I don't do this, the games run in what appears to be almost 30-40fps, which is strange. 

If I use the OPEN RETROARCH command within BigBox, Retroarch launches properly every time and you can see the resolution and fullscreen mode change/activate and all is great. 

I'm wondering what is happening behind the scenes when directly launching a game in BigBox that allows Retroarch to not switch resolution and to leave that small gap where the taskbar sits. 

Any help/advice is appreciated!

i dont have a CRT, so i cant say anything to that specifically, but it sounds like your settings for the cores you are launching are different from when you just load the UI without a core/game loaded. So i would start there, load a game in a core and check the video settings to make sure its fullscreen, and whether you are or are not using interger scaling (as i'm not sure what if anything that does on a CRT).

Maybe i can bug @Lordmonkus or @Retro808for a little info as i think they have messed with Retroarch on a CRT before.

Thanks guys. I played with SAVE CORE OVERRIDES a bit more and thought I had it figured out, but no dice. It still randomly will do this without any good reason. I'm running all cores at 2560x224, except for PC Engine (2560x240) and PSX (2560x480). The issue again is that Retroarch launches without being in ' fullscreen mode' and shows a resolution of 2560x240, but it runs at 30fps until I go in and manually change the resolution to ANYTHING ELSE and then I can even put it back to 240p - it's the act of changing the resolution that fixes the issue and forces it into fullscreen mode at 60fps. The FPS counter even shows 60fps but it clearly is running in 30. So weird. I'll try to get a video of it happening.