LaunchBox Community Forums

Questions for devs about Itch.io integration

Klona

1. When this gets implemented will we be able to import just a single playlist from Itch instead of every single game on the account? 

2. Will the game previews remain if the game's creator deletes their game page?

This is my biggest concern at the moment, Its frustrating when it happens because then you have to try and hunt down what exactly got removed to fix it, I don't know how you guys will go about implementing it but as long as it can grab the Title, main thumbnail, plus screenshots/preview gifs I'd be ok with manually having to do the game description ( mainly because some use images instead of text, in that case I can manually add it as the last image preview )

Also would be nice if it grabs the blurb under the game title and adds it to the game description like pic below

2021-11-08_20-40-38.png.53edc3e1ee89016b16e12af01761858b.png

That and include the other info like dev name + tags

2021-11-08_20-38-16.thumb.png.256ce4fa4a3ebe7b0c09e7aabeeb82f6.png

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

@Klona To be honest, we don't plan to implement the Itch.io integration any time soon, since it was voted so low on the poll. It was the last-voted item on the poll. Generally that tells us that users aren't very interested in it.

The questions I asked had nothing to do with " When will this come out? " They were about how will those issues be handled if/when it did 😐

6 hours ago, Klona said:

They were about how will those issues be handled if/when it did 😐

And the answer was it will likely never come to Launchbox as it's not something our users are interested in, so i doubt there has been any thought given to how a feature that won't happen, will be implemented.

1 hour ago, neil9000 said:

And the answer was it will likely never come to Launchbox as it's not something our users are interested in,

It got enough votes to make the top 10 requests, so yeah, there is interest there. Not only that, it got more votes than the parental block feature and that got added.........so....

There were only 10 requests and we picked them. That item got a pretty abysmal score. So much so that we decided it probably isn't even worth it to pursue integrating it (at least not anytime in the foreseeable future). We also do NOT have a parental control feature (or least not the one mentioned in the poll) so you're entirely off base.

10 hours ago, C-Beats said:

There were only 10 requests and we picked them. That item got a pretty abysmal score. So much so that we decided it probably isn't even worth it to pursue integrating it (at least not anytime in the foreseeable future). We also do NOT have a parental control feature (or least not the one mentioned in the poll) so you're entirely off base.

Wait, the parental thing never got added? I swear I saw an update a long time ago about it 🤔

• 4 months later...

On the other hand, I’m trying out Launchbox and I have tons of itch.io games. I found this thread while searching for how to add them. But if Launchbox doesn’t support itch.io, then I won’t actually become a Launchbox user, you know…? In other words, there’s significant sample bias - you mostly surveyed people who don’t heavily value itch.io integration because those who do don’t stick around.  😉 That said, it’s valid to focus on what your existing users want instead of growing the audience if that’s your choice, just be sure it’s the choice you mean to make. Wishing you the best!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, technicalleigh said:

On the other hand, I’m trying out Launchbox and I have tons of itch.io games. I found this thread while searching for how to add them. But if Launchbox doesn’t support itch.io, then I won’t actually become a Launchbox user, you know…? In other words, there’s significant sample bias - you mostly surveyed people who don’t heavily value itch.io integration because those who do don’t stick around.  😉 That said, it’s valid to focus on what your existing users want instead of growing the audience if that’s your choice, just be sure it’s the choice you mean to make. Wishing you the best!

Itch.io has turned me off pretty hardcore as a user because of how awfully the platform is ran, and because of frankly the false advertisement they use in their more popular bundles. A lot of the bigger bundles (like the BLM bundle) have a TON of content but there is no way to add them all to your library automatically so you have to manually add each one, because of this a lot of items you have access to don't show up as owned on their website or app. They told people during the bundle they were adding the ability but it wouldn't be added until AFTER the bundle completed (they had to dev it in, so understandable) but then came back after the bundle was over stating they weren't going to pursue it. Their platform has a lot of other similar issues in it and if we would add any integration to it we would get peppered with questions asking why certain things don't show up etc.

That being said, LaunchBox can use anything that can be launched via command line so you can still import your itch.io games, just drag the shortcuts to LaunchBox and import them (select none in the window that pops up). After that use the process as usual and it should work fine. If not importing to the Windows platform though you will want to make sure you set the "Scrape As" value to Windows on the platform you're importing to or you won't get any metadata/media.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...