LaunchBox Community Forums

Unable to launch games with RetroArch in 12.3, no BIOS prompt

Pottypotsworth

Hey guys.

I was looking forward to the new RetroArch integration but things have gone awry in my case.

In demo video - https://youtu.be/vXfkDPg9cJU?t=86 - after importing a Rom the user is then asked about configuring RetroArch and selecting BIOS etc, however I am on 12.3 and I do not get this option at all. I select RetroArch from the dropdown list and it then just skips anything to do about RetroArch or the core and just has the same prompts as previous versions about copy rom files etc.

I went to manage > emulators and deleted RetroArch from there, and then reinstalled it from manage > retroarch > install, and it seemed to install fine, but now all my games that were using retroarch without any issue don't load and say that the emulator cannot be found.

If i manually edit a game (such as a PS1 game) the emulator field is blank (despite manage > emulation > retroarch showing as associated with PS1) but if select RetroArch for that field and try and play the game then nothing happens. Literally selecting play means nothing happens.

There doesn't seem any way to have RetroArch install and then ask you about all the BIOS etc for your existing libraries.

I am at a total loss here. I have no idea how I am supposed to launch a PS1 or PS2 game with RetroArch since there is seemingly nothing in LaunchBox that asks me where the PS1 & PS2 BIOS are? If I delete RetroArch and delete a library, when i important Roms again i get no prompt to install RetroArch and select BIOS etc like the YT video shows.

Is there any part of the RetroArch manager that allows me to apply RetroArch, cores, BIOS to an existing library, say PS1?

Edited by Pottypotsworth

Ok, so I just installed a fresh version of launchbox on a different machine and when I selected Playstation Roms on a fresh install i DO get the RetroArch install and BIOS dialog options.

However, if i try and install PS2 ROMs then there is no such dialog.

I am still in the dark about to to edit an existing PS1 library to use the "internal" version on RetroArch and select the Bios so it loads.

4 hours ago, Pottypotsworth said:

I am still in the dark about to to edit an existing PS1 library to use the "internal" version on RetroArch and select the Bios so it loads.

Not sure that what you want to do is actually possible. The new feature is for new imports, you already have your systems setup, As for changing the emulator that's easy. click a game in a platform, then CTRL-A to highlight them all, right click one, edit, emulators, pick the emulator you want to use from the list.

I have not used the new RA installer since I have had it set up for years. However, I believe the prompt will only show up if you do not have the bios already inside Retroarch folders. In your case was the bios already in the correct RA folder?

On 11/10/2021 at 2:59 PM, Pottypotsworth said:

I went to manage > emulators and deleted RetroArch from there, and then reinstalled it from manage > retroarch > install, and it seemed to install fine, but now all my games that were using retroarch without any issue don't load and say that the emulator cannot be found.

If i manually edit a game (such as a PS1 game) the emulator field is blank (despite manage > emulation > retroarch showing as associated with PS1) but if select RetroArch for that field and try and play the game then nothing happens. Literally selecting play means nothing happens.

Just setting the platform name is the associated platform does not link games already in a library to Retroarch if those games are already using another emulator. You need to select existing games (you can select one, several, or all) and then bulk edit them and change the emulator to RA. This will set it as the default emulator for existing games. Also to note, since you deleted Retroarch it removed RA from all those games.

4 minutes ago, Retro808 said:

I have not used the new RA installer since I have had it set up for years. However, I believe the prompt will only show up if you do not have the bios already inside Retroarch folders. In your case was the bios already in the correct RA folder?

Just setting the platform name is the associated platform does not link games already in a library to Retroarch if those games are already using another emulator. You need to select existing games (you can select one, several, or all) and then bulk edit them and change the emulator to RA. This will set it as the default emulator for existing games. Also to note, since you deleted Retroarch it removed RA from all those games.

Could also bee that PS2 isnt included as its not the recommended emulator to use, the standalone is still better. So it just may be unaware of that platform and what bios files it needs.

2 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

Could also bee that PS2 isnt included as its not the recommended emulator to use, the standalone is still better. SDo it just may be unaware of that platform and what bios files it needs.

Ah.I did not even notice he mentioned PS2. I was focused on PS1.

Just tested and it does not work for PS2. PS1 install does work as it was designed. So does look like PS2 is not recognized as @neil9000 mentioned..