LaunchBox Community Forums

LaunchBox Won't Download Gameplay Videos From EMU Movies?

Wonderboy

I am new to launchbox and I am trying to get the artwork including movies for about 60 Mame fighting games I have inported to  launchbox at the moment. I have managed to get launchbox to download artwork okay and the theme videos are all downloading okay too (I have a premium Emu movies account and details have been entered into launchbox) but when I look in the movies folder in explorer there are only about 23 of the gameplay videos there. I tried downloading just these videos again several times but it just wont download them.

They are all very popular fighting games and I thought Emu movies had videos for just about every mame game there is, so I'm a bit confused here. Does anyone know how to fix this please?

I'm also wondering how to tell launchbox which movie folder to use as an option because I would generally prefer the gameplay videos to show in my Bigbox theme rather than the ones from the theme videos folder. Is there an easy way to do this?

Thanks for your help :)

Videos have a priority setting in LB.

Go to >Tools >Options Under the Media section choose >Video Priorities. You can select all the options you want and then when you click on each line you can use the "Move Selected" to place each of them in priority order. Highest one will show first and in the absence of that video the next one in line will show.

As far as Emu download goes I would try 1 game first. Edit it and download the video from Emumovies and see if it works. If it does try a couple game next time. Then let us know if that worked. There have been some random user issues.

12 minutes ago, Retro808 said:

Videos have a priority setting in LB.

Go to >Tools >Options Under the Media section choose >Video Priorities. You can select all the options you want and then when you click on each line you can use the "Move Selected" to place each of them in priority order. Highest one will show first and in the absence of that video the next one in line will show.

As far as Emu download goes I would try 1 game first. Edit it and download the video from Emumovies and see if it works. If it does try a couple game next time. Then let us know if that worked. There have been some random user issues.

Thanks Retro808, I changed the video priorities option as instructed and it is working well. I tried downloading the gameplay video for just one of the games as you suggested but unfortunately it failed both times I tried. I definitely think there is something wrong.

2 minutes ago, Wonderboy said:

Thanks Retro808, I changed the video priorities option as instructed and it is working well. I tried downloading the gameplay video for just one of the games as you suggested but unfortunately it failed both times I tried. I definitely think there is something wrong.

Are you able to get any other media from Emumovies for the game you tried?

What game is it?

14 minutes ago, Wonderboy said:

Yes, I just tried downloading a gameselect screen image for that one game from EMU and it worked. The game I tried is The King of Fighters 94'

Just tested that game and I was able to get videos. EmuMovies did however take over 2:00 to query and show me what was available. So not sure why you cannot even get videos on just one game.

When you tried this game the LB UI did show check boxes in the videos from EmuMovies, correct?

Screen Shot 2021-11-26 at 9.35.29 AM.png

Yeah it's really wierd because at the same time I tried to import all the gameplay videos of those 60+ mame fighting games from EMU, I was able to get every one of the theme videos, but just won't get the gameplay ones?

I have been using the import feature when trying multiple games and just one game too, and I have made sure I checked the box for HQ gameplay movies each time, but still doesnt work. The green bar at the bottom just says searching EMU for HQ gameplay video.mp4 and then it just stops searching and no video appears in folder.

When I tried the edit game option as you suggested earlier and then selected Movies>Download Movies>EMU Movies Tab it just hangs for over a minute with the blue circle turning and nothing happening. I don't think I waited a full 2 minutes though.

Edited by Wonderboy

4 minutes ago, Wonderboy said:

When I tried the edit game option as you suggested earlier and then selected Movies and then the EMU tab it just hangs for over a minute with the blue circle turning and nothing happening. I don't think I waited a full 2 minutes though.

If you closed it out and did not wait can you retry this and wait until it finalizes? It did take over a good 2:00.

Sorry quote feature not working... "Could also be a file name issue as it sounds like you have randomly downloaded some roms, you may have US clones only for example and the movies on emumovies may be for the parent non US version, so if the names dont match then you may not get a download. "

No, these are from a full set off all Mame roms and using all parent/original roms with launchbox, just placed them in a seperate folder for using in launchbox so I can get used to setting up launchbox.

I have managed to download the HQ and LQ gameplay videos from EMU, took about 7 minutes to query EMU but then it downloaded them quite fast. But the thing is they downloaded to the metadata folder inside another folder called temp, instead of just going to the videos folder like they are supposed to?

Also the names were totally jacked-up, here is what one of them was called: 39f8f0bc-b1db-4213-86b5-ba1a04e72f29.mp4

Videos playing fine though.

Something definitely wrong me thinks...

Just an update on things, I have spent hours and hours trying it over and over and there is still the same issue.

I still can't download the movies reliably in batch mode, I can only get the movies if I select each individual game and then edit and then select videos and download. This is of course very tedious and frustrating but what makes it unbearable is that it takes about 10 minutes to query EMU movie for what is available and then I can download them at a fairly normal speed and they are working,

So I don't understand why if the movies are there on EMU I can't just get them in the batch mode and also if they are there why does it take 10 minutes to find them for one game?

Another confusing thing is that on other occasions while using the batch mode to fetch art and movies for the Mame fighting games it has fetched all the thememovies I selected but only a fraction of the gameplay ones. But then later I was able to get all of the Wii gameplay movies I asked it for, but again only a fraction of the thememovies this time.

Then when fetching GameCube movies it fetched only a fraction of the gameplay movies, but also only a handful of thememovies. But again if I do it manually for any of the games that failed (Mame, GameCube, Wii) it eventually after 10 minutes finds them and downloads them without having to change any names of the games, so it's not that they are all named badly, which I checked before hand anyway.

And another confusing thing is that for the most part it's getting every other type of media no problem, well maybe 95%, there is still the odd box art or something that won't download via batch fetch, yet can be downloaded manually, which is still pretty annoying, but you see my point.

As you can imagine, I am baffled as to what is going on as the problem seems to be completely random!

Has anyone ever experienced this before with EMU movies or maybe the problem is with the LaunchBox software?

My LaunchBox was updated yesterday to what I presume is the latest version.

Edited by Wonderboy

On 11/27/2021 at 1:39 AM, Retro808 said:

Just tested that game and I was able to get videos. EmuMovies did however take over 2:00 to query and show me what was available. So not sure why you cannot even get videos on just one game.

When you tried this game the LB UI did show check boxes in the videos from EmuMovies, correct?

Screen Shot 2021-11-26 at 9.35.29 AM.png

Glad I found this post. I am having a similar problem. But I don't get "Videos" as an option at all. I tried first looking to download media for all games last night which doesn't show any videos, so I chose screenshot-gameplay and let those download. Worked fine. But I cannot get any form of video to show up as your screenshot shows, I tried king of fighters 95 since it was close to waht you were talking about and also tried rise of the tomb raider individually, but nowhere do i get option for videos. i checked the general priority and they were ordered fine, just marquee unchecked. image.thumb.png.a90f3235c2dbf6edd5c378080f60667e.png

7 hours ago, jackmeat said:

Glad I found this post. I am having a similar problem. But I don't get "Videos" as an option at all. I tried first looking to download media for all games last night which doesn't show any videos, so I chose screenshot-gameplay and let those download. Worked fine. But I cannot get any form of video to show up as your screenshot shows, I tried king of fighters 95 since it was close to waht you were talking about and also tried rise of the tomb raider individually, but nowhere do i get option for videos. i checked the general priority and they were ordered fine, just marquee unchecked. image.thumb.png.a90f3235c2dbf6edd5c378080f60667e.png

You also dont have the options for manuals or music, so i'm gonna assume you only have a free account, you need a premium emumovies account for manuals, music and videos. Here is what i get with KOF99 Millennium Battle.

image.thumb.png.5054cc854a60c21bb70af4808a0d1ebc.png

32 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

You also dont have the options for manuals or music, so i'm gonna assume you only have a free account, you need a premium emumovies account for manuals, music and videos. Here is what i get with KOF99 Millennium Battle.

image.thumb.png.5054cc854a60c21bb70af4808a0d1ebc.png

I thought about that after I already posted and was doing some other stuff. Duh, since when are things free lol. It makes sense though, thanks for letting me know. I am sure I'll be asking other stupid questions as they come up. I have had launch box for years and never bothered getting much past launching games. So very much a newbie and now with big box, I want it to work properly. Thanks again!!

1 minute ago, jackmeat said:

I thought about that after I already posted and was doing some other stuff. Duh, since when are things free lol. It makes sense though, thanks for letting me know. I am sure I'll be asking other stupid questions as they come up. I have had launch box for years and never bothered getting much past launching games. So very much a newbie and now with big box, I want it to work properly. Thanks again!!

Yeah, the more bandwidth eating file types are restricted, cause servers are not free unfortunately so they need to maintain them somehow.

30 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

Yeah, the more bandwidth eating file types are restricted, cause servers are not free unfortunately so they need to maintain them somehow.

Nope, they aren't. I'll be looking into it later on. Most likely wait until they get their issues resolved. 5 minutes to search for images for 10 DC games is quite annoying. Seems they are fully aware of it so I doubt it will take long