LaunchBox Community Forums

Pc games added from shortcuts not updating art work and other question

lovemehate

So I tried both manually adding, and dropping/dragging a few game shortcuts, They find them when searching for metadata. They launch/play just fine. but no matter what the art, box art. nothing shows up even after refreshing. what am I doing wrong?

also, other topic Does big box mode support any kind of youtube, netflix, hulu or anything like that? I rather not use Kodi cause thats a hot mess to get going.

one more question, does big box have a shortcut to end any game/program? even Pc games? In retrobat you can hold L + R + Start + Select to end any game that's running.

thanks if you can help with some of this.

Edit: I added a gif to show what happens.

lanchbox.gif

Edited by lovemehate

8 hours ago, lovemehate said:

So I tried both manually adding, and dropping/dragging a few game shortcuts, They find them when searching for metadata. They launch/play just fine. but no matter what the art, box art. nothing shows up even after refreshing. what am I doing wrong?

Your gif shows what is wrong. You are downloading a "Box - Front" image but are using the 3D Box image group. Your game doesn't HAVE a 3D box image and you don't have Box - Front set up as a back up priority in options and so LaunchBox doesn't display anything.

also, other topic Does big box mode support any kind of youtube, netflix, hulu or anything like that? I rather not use Kodi cause thats a hot mess to get going.

You can add anything that you can run via command line. I've seen several users add websites to their LaunchBox build in the past, but know that they aren't officially support and we don't have any metadata or media for non-game entries and so you'd have to manually add those as well.

one more question, does big box have a shortcut to end any game/program? even Pc games? In retrobat you can hold L + R + Start + Select to end any game that's running.

Should be listed as "Close Active Window" in the controller bindings (or keyboard automation)

You should never just kill a PC game like that, unless you want corrupted saves that is, always close PC games via their own in game menu.

4 hours ago, C-Beats said:

Your gif shows what is wrong. You are downloading a "Box - Front" image but are using the 3D Box image group. Your game doesn't HAVE a 3D box image and you don't have Box - Front set up as a back up priority in options and so LaunchBox doesn't display anything.

You can add anything that you can run via command line. I've seen several users add websites to their LaunchBox build in the past, but know that they aren't officially support and we don't have any metadata or media for non-game entries and so you'd have to manually add those as well.

Should be listed as "Close Active Window" in the controller bindings (or keyboard automation)

Thanks for the replies/info. am looking into what your talking about the box and all that. Am kind of confused cause I don't see other box art options. So what option exactly am I looking for? Idealy Id like videos, box art of some sort and Logos to show up in big box (going to buy it this week)

LB2.jpg

Edited by lovemehate

4 hours ago, neil9000 said:

You should never just kill a PC game like that, unless you want corrupted saves that is, always close PC games via their own in game menu.

I pretty much always save manually, but there are some pc games am kind just trying out and messing around with. some? for some annoying reason have no easy way to exit the game. I don't know why but devs think you should go into the options and other pages to "exit" game, even in newer games. I hate it.

20 minutes ago, lovemehate said:

Am kind of confused cause I don't see other box art options.

Look for "Image Group" in the LaunchBox top menu bar.

19 minutes ago, lovemehate said:

I don't know why but devs think you should go into the options and other pages to "exit" game, even in newer games. I hate it.

Most pc games have a quit or exit menu option in the main menu, but those who don't usually exit with Escape or a controller button (B) from the main menu. I have one game that exits with the q key. In that case I use a keymapper (JoyToKey) to map the q key to my controller. (Although I could use a script that sends a q keystroke, so it will still close in the intended way.)

10 minutes ago, Koroth said:

Look for "Image Group" in the LaunchBox top menu bar.

I forgot to mention. If you have a licensed version of LaunchBox, you can set up the image priority in Tools > Options > Media. Here you can set up the order of which image groups LauchBox should display if you have missing media.

8 hours ago, Koroth said:

I forgot to mention. If you have a licensed version of LaunchBox, you can set up the image priority in Tools > Options > Media. Here you can set up the order of which image groups LauchBox should display if you have missing media.

ah yes, I just saw that, So when you are in big box, does it default to box art, and not 3d box?

Most likely buy a Lic tonight. just a bit sour I missed out on the black Friday sale.

Thanks for the help.

Edited by lovemehate

19 minutes ago, lovemehate said:

ah yes, I just saw that, So when you are in big box, does it default to box art, and not 3d box?

I do not remember what the defaults are. But yes, in BigBox you can select what image type to show. Also BigBox adheres to the media priorities you have set up in LaunchBox.

363987830_Schermopname(16).thumb.jpg.7063e8197393176210e870f9fa838df3.jpg

But if I'm not mistaken, the image type shown can also be theme dependent. Some themes might only support 2D boxes.