LaunchBox Community Forums

Ppsspp error loading file: IdentifyFile: File doesn't exist

Kaio0411

Hello, 

I try using launch box to start my PSP Game ISOs with launch box, but every time I want to start a game from launch box ppsspp gives me an error saying that the selected file doesnt exist. 

I tried to change the game directories to the Ppsspp Game folder instead of the root folder but it doesn't work either. 

I tried to uninstall and install Ppsspp a few times but no success... 

Can someone help me out? 

2 minutes ago, Kaio0411 said:

Yes, I tested this out and if I use only ppsspp theyre just working fine 

Can you right click a game and edit then post a couple pics. The error you see means LB is looking where the rom is not located.

>Pic of the Launching page and a Pic of the Emulation page.

Also just to cover bases in Manage Emulators in LB. Edit PPSSPP and post a couple pics from there.

>Pic of the Details Page and Pic of the Associated Platforms page.

Are you using Android 11?

I'm getting the same thing.

I've read that android has changed the way that file information is shared between applications.

Here's what the developer of M64Plus FZ had to say about it:

https://digdroid.com/forums/discussion/9140/android-11-scoped-storage-saf-support

Edited by PhenomenJan

I'm not sure it's all on LaunchBox.

I managed to get it working with Pegasus FrontEnd, because it lets you send the file location as a ContentUri.

However, that required a change to ppsspp, because they were expecting differently formatted ContentUris.

We'll see if my pull request gets accepted.

In case the developer sees this, here is the commit where Pegasus FrontEnd added ContentUri support.

I'd try adding it myself, but I think LaunchBox maybe isn't open source?

3 hours ago, PhenomenJan said:

I'm not sure it's all on LaunchBox.

I managed to get it working with Pegasus FrontEnd, because it lets you send the file location as a ContentUri.

However, that required a change to ppsspp, because they were expecting differently formatted ContentUris.

We'll see if my pull request gets accepted.

In case the developer sees this, here is the commit where Pegasus FrontEnd added ContentUri support.

I'd try adding it myself, but I think LaunchBox maybe isn't open source?

Pegasus added it recently. Because they were searching for a way to solve the scoped storage problem. Here is the page

https://github.com/mmatyas/pegasus-frontend/issues/915#issuecomment-993139861

By the way PPSSPP can be opened through front end apps. No need for them to change anything.

Edited by Goodmango

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all, I finally have an update to this stuff. LaunchBox for Android 1.0-beta-2 is out now. Details are here:

However, unfortunately updating everything to Google's new security model did not solve the issues with PPSSPP that some users are seeing. I believe this is because PPSSPP still needs to implement the content URIs properly. I'm hoping to reach out to the development team here soon to see if we can tag team a solution. If anyone has any good contact info for them, please let me know.

Also, to explain why some people are using PPSSPP just fine on Android 11 while others aren't able to, it's because of Google's terrible design decisions. Permissions are allowed when upgrading from older versions of PPSSPP, but not when installing the latest version fresh. So, for those of you who are unable to launch PPSSPP, you may be able to fix the issue for now by uninstalling PPSSPP, installing an old version of it (somehow), and then upgrading to the latest version. You can thank Google for the unnecessary rigamarole.

Finally, if anyone is aware of a frontend that is able to properly launch a completely fresh install of the latest version of PPSSPP on Android 11, please let me know. As far as I am currently aware, it's not possible, but I can't say for certain because Google's documentation is very poor. Also, this stuff could not be more confusing, especially with the upgrade permissions thing.

Quick update guys, the latest beta does fix the issues launching games with Dolphin and Mupen64Plus FZ. However, AetherSX2, Citra, PPSSPP, and Redream all have issues launching games on Android 11+, and they need updates/fixes from the emulator developers to make them work. More details are here in this post:

Also, I have a new beta coming out here shortly to fix some additional issues, so you might want to wait to update until beta 4 comes out in an hour or two.

• 1 year later...
On 1/18/2022 at 9:51 PM, Jason Carr said:

Quick update guys, the latest beta does fix the issues launching games with Dolphin and Mupen64Plus FZ. However, AetherSX2, Citra, PPSSPP, and Redream all have issues launching games on Android 11+, and they need updates/fixes from the emulator developers to make them work. More details are here in this post:

Also, I have a new beta coming out here shortly to fix some additional issues, so you might want to wait to update until beta 4 comes out in an hour or two.

@Jason Carr The Retroid launcher for the Retroid Pocket 3 can launch games using PPSSPP Gold without any issue - maybe you could investigate on why a free stock launcher has this feature and LaunchBox does not. It's really a shame, since LaunchBox for Android is handling other cases and systems pretty well and better than any other Launcher. Let me know if I can support in any way

• 10 months later...

I had the same issue and i fixed it installing a demo in the homebrew and demos tab. i installed flower for psp, played for a couple seconds and then exit to the menu and go to load and find the iso manualy (dont ask me how but it worked for me) sorry for my english