LaunchBox Community Forums

Audio stops when attract mode switches from first game.

Scarecrow_Jack

Hi everyone, I'm terrible with forums, so I'll apologize in advance for any stupidity on my part.

I'm using the City Hunter 2 theme on BigBox and have for a while. I tried making a new sound pack with Mortal Kombat 1 sounds and it wouldn't let BigBox open so I had to revert to an older version to fix it. Since then I've lost sound when attract mode leaves the first game (1945) on my list. I've unfortunately changed a bunch of settings trying to fix it, so I'm not sure if I've clicked something I shouldn't have. Audio works again when I navigate to a new game, but goes away as soon as attract mode takes over after 30 seconds.

I've looked for the same issue in the forums, and all I can find is people looking to create this issue instead of fixing it.

As a side note, any ideas on why the sound pack didn't work?

I appreciate the response. Everything in my sound and attract mode has volume of at least 20, there still isn't anything playing unless I scroll to the game, or the initial start up game.

The sound pack was made by renaming mp3 files. Example; "mk1-00163.mp3" to "Startup.wav". They still play if I double click the file after renaming, so I assume they're functioning wav files now. I looked at other sound packs and tried to follow their lead, but when I tried to apply my pack and restart Big Box it never loaded, forcing me to revert to a previous state.

40 minutes ago, Scarecrow_Jack said:

I appreciate the response. Everything in my sound and attract mode has volume of at least 20, there still isn't anything playing unless I scroll to the game, or the initial start up game.

The sound pack was made by renaming mp3 files. Example; "mk1-00163.mp3" to "Startup.wav". They still play if I double click the file after renaming, so I assume they're functioning wav files now. I looked at other sound packs and tried to follow their lead, but when I tried to apply my pack and restart Big Box it never loaded, forcing me to revert to a previous state.

Unfortunately renaming an mp3 to a wav file will just result in a broken wav file. Some apps will ignore this error, but some won't. We're using DirectX to play those files directly, which isn't going to work with mp3s. So that's why the sound pack is broken. You'll need to convert the mp3s to wavs properly. For what it's worth, renaming file extensions like that will often break things lol, so it's generally just not a good idea at all.

There's also a setting to turn off navigation sounds while in attract mode, so assuming that you're referring to those navigation sounds, that's probably what's going on.

I’m having this issue now with the newest version of launchbox. All audio settings are correct and all audio works until after the first game gets switched away from. Then no more sound until I hit a button to stop attract mode and then sound from videos play again. 

Having the exact same issue as MrSco. All audio is fine in attract mode from categories to platforms to collections (if the theme uses them) and then games. Once the first game cycles in attract mode, video clip audio and interface audio (wheel spin) go silent. If I hit exit and back out or press play and select the game, all audio returns. Everything else is fine. Games launch when selected and in-game audio is present. Only by letting big box idle in attract mode does this issue appear.

I am using the theme "Unified Refried" but this seems to occur regardless of the theme selected.

Thanks in advance.

On 2/10/2022 at 1:03 PM, faeran said:

For anyone that has this issue, and has already made sure that under Options > Sound > Attract Mode Master Volume, you have that value set to something greater than 0%.

Please send us your BigBoxSettings.xml file (Located in LaunchBox\Data). You can post it here or PM myself and @C-Beats.

Thanks. That must be a new setting. Me likey. 

• 2 months later...
On 2/10/2022 at 1:03 PM, faeran said:

For anyone that has this issue, and has already made sure that under Options > Sound > Attract Mode Master Volume, you have that value set to something greater than 0%.

Please send us your BigBoxSettings.xml file (Located in LaunchBox\Data). You can post it here or PM myself and @C-Beats.

Ah thank you! Was having this same issue, did not realize this new feature had been added. Many thanks for the heads up!

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/17/2022 at 9:39 AM, chrisl23 said:

Ah thank you! Was having this same issue, did not realize this new feature had been added. Many thanks for the heads up!

Came here for the same thing. I was starting to trip out since the audio returns once you interact with the cabinet. haha.  Glad I find this post.