LaunchBox Community Forums

Database update: DSiWare (in Nintendo DS platform)

kurzih

Anyone interested about digital only Nintendo DS(i) games: most of the DSiWare game entries have now been added to the database, initially there was just a few dozen of them and now there's a few hundred :)

This is what's on the menu (didn't add applications or "samples" of full games) - some still missing from the database, but please feel free to contribute them - I don't think I'll add anything more myself:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_DSiWare_games_and_applications

Recommended emulation with Launchbox: Retroarch/MelonDS Core (needs a special setup & boot from DSi Nand/Firmware and some files in Systems dir).
Most games work pretty well, unless requiring the DSi Camera. Note that MelonDS's DSi emulation is a WIP.

344942737_Puffins-LetsFish!(Europe)(EnFrDeEsIt)-220312-123430.png.affd35603a53a499e9dfe244d6c47236.png  1033024161_Puffins-LetsFish!(Europe)(EnFrDeEsIt)-220312-123521.png.48b59093db7358046614f87d87eedc76.png

Edited by kurzih

• 1 year later...
On 3/12/2022 at 11:33 AM, kurzih said:

Anyone interested about digital only Nintendo DS(i) games: most of the DSiWare game entries have now been added to the database, initially there was just a few dozen of them and now there's a few hundred :)

This is what's on the menu (didn't add applications or "samples" of full games) - some still missing from the database, but please feel free to contribute them - I don't think I'll add anything more myself:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_DSiWare_games_and_applications

Recommended emulation with Launchbox: Retroarch/MelonDS Core (needs a special setup & boot from DSi Nand/Firmware and some files in Systems dir).
Most games work pretty well, unless requiring the DSi Camera. Note that MelonDS's DSi emulation is a WIP.

344942737_Puffins-LetsFish!(Europe)(EnFrDeEsIt)-220312-123430.png.affd35603a53a499e9dfe244d6c47236.png  1033024161_Puffins-LetsFish!(Europe)(EnFrDeEsIt)-220312-123521.png.48b59093db7358046614f87d87eedc76.png

Does a solution exist to somehow add individual DSiWare games to launchbox and have them launch in MelonDS. Every tutorial I found to achieve this is too inconvenient (such as having to add a retroarch instance for EVERY game one adds to the platform.)

On 6/28/2023 at 5:30 PM, kurzih said:

Not sure how much things have evolved today, but back then I could start individual DSiWare files with No$GBA (direct emulation, not with Retroarch). Would be nice to have it in Retroarch..

Are you sure? From what I found, that is not possible. You CAN launch individsual DSi games, but DSiWare games need to be installed do a nand file and then must be launched from the internal DSi menu. Same with MelonDS. Do you remember how you set up the emulator to launch DSiWare games directly?

Yes, you can start them individually - I'm afraid I don't remember all the steps I took to get there. Here's my basic setup:

image.png.bab9cb75acd0ff3747f76513a91ce700.png

And in Launchbox no command lines needed. I use dsiware .nds files as roms and they start directly skipping the DSi Menu.

I did dump the nand from my own Nintendo DSi console. There are some incompatibility issues with saving if I recall.