LaunchBox Community Forums

How to display banners from consoles or computers ?

Sebiohazard

Good morning all !

I've been looking for a long time how to display the banners of consoles or computers on the LaunchBox start page (see image below):

spacer.png

I only have game media why ? I should see the images of the consoles (Genesis + SNES) ? On Android the banners are present, how to display them on Windows ?

Greetings :)

Edited by Sebiohazard

You cannot display them in LB. It is not a feature in LB.

Android has it becuase Android is mirroring BigBox capabilities. Android is being developed as a graphical front end along the same lines BB is the graphical front end to LB.

8 hours ago, Sebiohazard said:

Hello !

I don't understand why this is not possible ??? It's the whole point of a front end to have beautiful images of the games but also of the consoles ??? I am very disappointed with LaunchBox !!!

Likely because LB is the Windows UI versus BB being the graphical cabinet style UI. Users typically are using LB with text style lists and showing images only for games. There really have not been people asking to show banner media for platforms in LB. So it is not possible since it is not something users have wanted in LB.

@Retro808 hello !

OK, it's a shame because all the other front end allow you to display images from consoles or computers (Attract Mode - HyperSpin - EmulationStation)... another question, why is BigBix paying while all the others are free ?!

Greetings !

Edited by Sebiohazard

9 minutes ago, Sebiohazard said:

@Retro808 hello !

OK, it's a shame because all the other front end allow you to display images from consoles or computers (Attract Mode - HyperSpin - EmulationStation)...

And those are the equivalent to our BigBox. BigBox can do what you are asking.

9 minutes ago, Sebiohazard said:

. another question, why is BigBix paying while all the others are free ?!

Greetings !

Because our devs do this as their job and they are constantly and consistently upgrading the product. In addition our devs take feedback and work with the community to further develop the software. Sometimes it is worth paying developers to support them as they support our want in a program.

4 minutes ago, Retro808 said:

Because our devs do this as their job and they are constantly and consistently upgrading the product. In addition our devs take feedback and work with the community to further develop the software. Sometimes it is worth paying developers to support them as they support our want in a program.

The other teams are also constantly working to improve their software... the world of emulation must remain free in my opinion... I don't like the philosophy of LaunchBox... if you want console banners you have to pay ???

There are already a lot of people profiting from the world of retro gaming by making a profit with things that are given away for free, it's just sickening !

This is not normal sorry...

4 minutes ago, Sebiohazard said:

This is not normal sorry...

Paid software is perfectly normal, windows, Office, Adobe, VPN's, Antivirus, all paid software. If you dont like it, or want to pay for it, go and use one of the free programs which have less features, less functionality, less customization, fewer updates. Your argument here doesnt seem to be that Launchbox has two versions, one free, one paid, it's more that you don't want to pay, period, and that is your choice, but if that is the case then you will be limited to Launchbox only, which is NOT the same as the other programs you mention.

29 minutes ago, Sebiohazard said:

The other teams are also constantly working to improve their software... the world of emulation must remain free in my opinion... I don't like the philosophy of LaunchBox... if you want console banners you have to pay ???

That's a perfectly valid opinion to have. The good thing about the emulation world is if you do not want to pay for something there are other options. Platform banners just are not in LB yet, as mentioned, because it was never really something users wanted since BigBox is there. That does not mean if more people want platform banners in LB it will not eventually be added. Having to pay for something you want is absolutely normal. My opinion it is perfectly valid to pay someone for their hard work and labor. 

29 minutes ago, Sebiohazard said:

There are already a lot of people profiting from the world of retro gaming by making a profit with things that are given away for free, it's just sickening !

You are right. There are also a lot of people stealing in emulation world. Along with a lot of people stealing and selling to profit in emulation world. That is more sickening then legitimately paying for something someone works hard on.

35 minutes ago, Retro808 said:

That's a perfectly valid opinion to have. The good thing about the emulation world is if you do not want to pay for something there are other options. Platform banners just are not in LB yet, as mentioned, because it was never really something users wanted since BigBox is there. That does not mean if more people want platform banners in LB it will not eventually be added. Having to pay for something you want is absolutely normal. My opinion it is perfectly valid to pay someone for their hard work and labor. 

OK but then again why the Android version offers banners ?!

35 minutes ago, Retro808 said:

You are right. There are also a lot of people stealing in emulation world. Along with a lot of people stealing and selling to profit in emulation world. That is more sickening then legitimately paying for something someone works hard on.

I don't agree with you sorry... look at what RecalBox - Batocera or RetroPie offers their work is just as difficult as for LaunchBox developers don't you think ?! & yet their work is offered for free to beginners with the addition of a Discord for help...

Edited by Sebiohazard

3 minutes ago, Sebiohazard said:

OK but then again why the Android version offers banners ?!

Because as already stated the Android version is essentially Bigbox and not Launchbox. It's also worth noting that the Android version costs money as well, just like Bigbox, so its the same case on Windows or Android, both need payment to get what you want.

6 minutes ago, Sebiohazard said:

I don't agree with you sorry... look at what RecalBox - Batocera or RetroPie offers their work is just as difficult as for LaunchBox developers don't you think ?!

No, it is not just as difficult. Those programs use Retroarch for most systems, and you cant choose other emulators a lot of the time. They are very locked down, and you use what they tell you to use. Launchbox is completely user configurable, meaning you have access to tons of emulators that distros like emuelec and batocera don't allow you to use. also those distros are Linux based, meaning you miss out on some of the great emulators that are available on Windows, that are not available on Linux, again because these distros are so locked down and lack customization. I should also mention that i am not just fanboying for Launchbox, i also have a Batocera setup, and i like it, but it does not compare in the slightest to Launchbox/Bigbox, it is way too restrictive and locked down, it's their way or the highway for those distros, which it is not for Launchbox, where you can use any emulator, any image types, any folder name and location, all things you cannot change on the other distros.

4 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

No, it is not just as difficult. Those programs use Retroarch for most systems, and you cant choose other emulators a lot of the time. They are very locked down, and you use what they tell you to use. Launchbox is completely user configurable, meaning you have access to tons of emulators that distros like emuelec and batocera don't allow you to use. also those distros are Linux based, meaning you miss out on some of the great emulators that are available on Windows, that are not available on Linux, again because these distros are so locked down and lack customization. I should also mention that i am not just fanboying for Launchbox, i also have a Batocera setup, and i like it, but it does not compare in the slightest to Launchbox/Bigbox, it is way too restrictive and locked down, it's their way or the highway for those distros, which it is not for Launchbox, where you can use any emulator, any image types, any folder name and location, all things you cannot change on the other distros.

I come from the world of Attract Mode & we can do absolutely ANYTHING as you say... but it's free :) the Adnroid version I installed with the banners is also free :) I don't understand what you're saying... even if RecalBox or Batocera is locked it does not prevent that there is a lot of work behind it & that voluntarily...

Locking this thread and it's turned into meaningless debate on whether we deserve to charge for our product and work. I'm grateful to those that are willing to pay for our products, without you none of this would be possible. That being said I can understand people wanting to get the most of their limited funds. If you don't feel the product is worth the cost of entry, then please do not make a purchase. It's why all of our products have a free version, to help you come to a conclusion that is right for you. That being said we have no plans on changing our business model any time soon so any discussion regarding doing so is pointless and will just cause a lot of unneeded hostility.

• Like 1