LaunchBox Community Forums

Launchbox/MAME button mapping won't save

darkgungage2008

Hello everyone.  So I have been trying for the longest time to see how to resolve this issue.  Here is the issue I am having... every time I setup my button mapping for MAME roms and exit out of Launchbox, the button mapping is gone.  So again, I have to setup the button mapping again for any game I wish to play.  I can save the configuration settings in the MAME stand alone emulator, but in Launchbox it just will not save when I exit.  The settings will not carry over from the MAME stand alone emulator to Launchbox for whatever reason.  I have interneted this issue and searched online everywhere but I can't find anything to help.  Does anyone have any resolution or tips that can help?  I appreciate it in advance.  

9 hours ago, darkgungage2008 said:

Hello everyone.  So I have been trying for the longest time to see how to resolve this issue.  Here is the issue I am having... every time I setup my button mapping for MAME roms and exit out of Launchbox, the button mapping is gone.  So again, I have to setup the button mapping again for any game I wish to play.  I can save the configuration settings in the MAME stand alone emulator, but in Launchbox it just will not save when I exit.  The settings will not carry over from the MAME stand alone emulator to Launchbox for whatever reason.  I have interneted this issue and searched online everywhere but I can't find anything to help.  Does anyone have any resolution or tips that can help?  I appreciate it in advance.  

Launchbox has no effect on actual emulator controls. The way your post reads is that you are setting controls in Launchbox and expecting them to then work in MAME itself, is that true? If so, then again that isn't how it works, the controls you are setting in Launchbox is to control Launchbox only, it will have no effect on any emulators you may use.

MAME Controller configuration can be pretty annoying. If the controller used to configure the controls isn't on and connected when you start MAME again MAME clears your input settings. Need to make sure the same controller is used and is on BEFORE hitting play or this will happen every time. There are ways to potentially prevent this (like setting the file to read-only) but they all have negatives as well.

3 hours ago, neil9000 said:

Launchbox has no effect on actual emulator controls. The way your post reads is that you are setting controls in Launchbox and expecting them to then work in MAME itself, is that true? If so, then again that isn't how it works, the controls you are setting in Launchbox is to control Launchbox only, it will have no effect on any emulators you may use.

Thank you for replying.  What is happening is, I have Launchbox as my frontend.  I have all my platforms listed and when I run a game through Launchbox, example is Double Dragon... I have to configure the buttons in game.  I want to be able to open Launchbox, and on my Arcade platform, be able to run an arcade game without having to setup the button mapping each time I want to play arcade roms. 

• 8 months later...
On 3/17/2022 at 9:49 AM, darkgungage2008 said:

Thank you for replying.  What is happening is, I have Launchbox as my frontend.  I have all my platforms listed and when I run a game through Launchbox, example is Double Dragon... I have to configure the buttons in game.  I want to be able to open Launchbox, and on my Arcade platform, be able to run an arcade game without having to setup the button mapping each time I want to play arcade roms. 

I do something similar.  I spent some time changing all of the arcade buttons while in BigBox.  Loaded it up yesterday and it didn't save my button changes.  I'm still trying to figure out the best way to SAVE the config for use to use.

1 hour ago, n8cermak said:

@darkgungage2008 Please share details when you have a free moment! I would love to not have to update my NBA JAM buttons for all 4-players every time! Thanks.

Did you map the controls in the emulator? LB/BB have nothing to do with in game controls. The bindings in the LB/BB UI are only for LB/BB. All game controls need to be mapped directly in each emulator you use.