LaunchBox Community Forums

Trouble with renaming platforms

hoderer

Hey Guys!

First of all: I love Launchbox/BigBox and I'm very happy with it. Thank you so much. I'm from germany and my englisch isn't that good, so I hope you understand, what my problem is.

A few versions ago, it was possible to rename the plaforms and I was very happy about it, since I want them with the year of the release first in the left side menu ("1977 - Atari 2600" and so on), but there are sideeffects. Since the whole platform (not only the name shown in the menu) is being renamed, EmuMovies doesn't find any videos. It needs the standard platform names I guess. What I don't understand is, why you can't just rename the platform-name for the left side menu and leave the "real" platform name untouched.

Would it be possible for future versions to change that? I know this is special and most users are probably fine the the standard platform names. I don't know if that helps, but I'm totally willing to donate some extra money for changing that function (like 150 bucks). I'm quite sure, some other users would be happy about this, too.

If someone has a hint or another solution for this, I'd be glad.

Thanks for your time and all the best from germany!

Edited by hoderer
typo

In LB in the left pane where your platform names are right click on a platform name and edit it. If your "Scrape as" is set to the common platform name it will search EmuMovies just fine. That is the point of the "Scrape as" field. This is what allows a user to name a platform any custom name, but scrape the correct platform name.

Screen Shot 2022-03-25 at 10.16.41 PM.png

• Like 1

Just tried again and emumovies said "couldn't find the platform in the emumovies system-list" (something like this - it's in german). I think it uses the information of the platform field of the game (as you can see on my screenshot), which is not "sega dreamcast", but "1998 - sega dreamcast ". so there seems to be an issue.

Edited by hoderer
did some testing

I did some random test with "Sega Rally 2" on my "1998 - Sega Dreamcast (PAL)"-platform and EmuMovies found something.

Then I tried to reproduce the issue. I chose a game on my "2000 - Sony Playstation 2"-platform, which was lacking metadata. I downloaded the meta data and it changed the platform in the game-info to the standard name "sony playstation 2". Then I changed that in to "2000 - sony playstation 2" and pressed ok. Then I tried to download from emumovies and the error pops up (it's saying PLATFORM, it's not saying "Couldn't find something for this particular game" - maybe it's just the wrong error message and EmuMovies means the game...). I took a screenshot of everything I did. I really hope you can reproduce it now. Thanks alot for looking into it.

EDIT: Did some more testing and wanted to know, if EmuMovies finds something right after (re-)downloading the metadata and BEFORE changing the platform name in the metadata windows manually - and it did! So changing the platform name right after downloading the metadata is the step, where it gets broken.

LB1.JPG

LB2.JPG

LB3.JPG

LB4.JPG

LB5.JPG

LB6.JPG

LB7.JPG

Edited by hoderer
did some more testing

Go to any game edit -> edit metadata/media

Delete the metadata

Re-Download the metadata (at this point emumovies would find something of course)

Change name in the platform field in the same window (for example "sony playstation 2" to "2000 - sony playstation 2")

Go to Media -> Images -> Download Media and wait if emumovies finds something

Edited by hoderer
added more detailed infos

1 minute ago, hoderer said:

Change name in the platform field (for example "sony playstation 2" to "2000 - sony playstation 2")

As has already been stated to you, you change the "scrape as" NOT the actual platform name. There is no such platform as "2000 - Sony Playstation 2" so no metadata or media is found, this is as expected and working as designed. You CAN rename the platform, but you HAVE to then set the "scrape as" to the correct platform otherwise you will find no metadata or images as the platform you have never existed.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, hoderer said:

Go to any game edit -> edit metadata/media

Delete the metadata

Re-Download the metadata (at this point emumovies would find something of course)

Change name in the platform field in the same window (for example "sony playstation 2" to "2000 - sony playstation 2")

Go to Media -> Images -> Download Media and wait if emumovies finds something

Followed this exactly on a game for the 1997 - TG16 platform I had pics of earlier. After deleting meta and re-downloading it changed it to “NEC- Turbo Grafx 16”. So I then changed that to “1997 - Turbo Grafx 16” and ran media downloader. Again, no issues with EmuMovies finding it. 

My only thoughts are either your Sony PS platform you provided pics on does not have the correct “Scrape As” name listed, I know your Dreamcast does since you gave pics, or perhaps it is an issue with the translation build LB you are using. 

• Like 1

Wow, that was a bummer. I'm totally embarrassed. That was some bad testing on my side. I could have sworn that "scrape as" was set right in my "2000 - sony playstation 2"-plattform. It was not, so I have to apologize. Thank you for your time and support.