LaunchBox Community Forums

Custom Platform Images

artician

My Theme is hyper-minimal, mostly text, but for the Platforms menu I want to have each platform represented by a simplified image of its controller.
I'm creating the controller images myself, but don't know how to implement them as graphics for a given Wheel.

Can someone illuminate that process for me?  The way BigBox/Themes/CTC store images for everything is confusing to me.  The initial thought I had was to overwrite a different Media directory (say, fanart, because I don't intend to use that category for anything else), then select that category of Media for the Wheel.

Is this a good approach?
Is there a simpler way to go about this?
Is this the kind of thing I should be doing in the XAML or XML directly, instead of the Editor UI?

Thank you for any advice.

If you want them inside of your Wheel, make sure they are all named the same as your Platforms in LaunchBox, and then place them inside of this folder:

• For Platforms: LAUNCHBOX\Themes\[your theme]\Images\Platforms\Clear Logo
  • For Categories: LAUNCHBOX\Themes\[your theme]\Images\Categories\Clear Logo
  • For Playlists: LAUNCHBOX\Themes\[your theme]\Images\Playlists\Clear Logo

Then refresh your image cache.

20 minutes ago, faeran said:

If you want them inside of your Wheel, make sure they are all named the same as your Platforms in LaunchBox, and then place them inside of this folder:

Thank you for your reply!  What if I am already using the Clear Logos in Platforms for something else?

If you don't want them in the actual wheel, then you can add them as an image element within your view.

If you are using the CTC, then you create a folder inside of your project's Media folder. Call it whatever you want. Place your images in there.

Then when you Edit a view, create an Image Element and choose:

• Image to display: Metadata
  • Metadata image: Platform
  • Image folder: [choose your folder you created above]

• 2 months later...
On 3/28/2022 at 3:14 PM, faeran said:

Sorry for bumping this, and please excuse my newbness, but today I finally started experimenting with custom platform images and stumbled upon this thread. Maybe I am doing something totally wrong, but I have all my Clear Logos in the correct place as suggested, but they are not being picked up. It will only work if there are sub-folders within the Platforms folder containing the Platform name e.g. Platforms\Commodore Amiga\Clear Logo. Is this a strict requirement now or am I missing something?

4 minutes ago, Captain Star Paw said:

Sorry for bumping this, and please excuse my newbness, but today I finally started experimenting with custom platform images and stumbled upon this thread. Maybe I am doing something totally wrong, but I have all my Clear Logos in the correct place as suggested, but they are not being picked up. It will only work if there are sub-folders within the Platforms folder containing the Platform name e.g. Platforms\Commodore Amiga\Clear Logo. Is this a strict requirement now or am I missing something?

The way Faeran described the filing is to use the images with that theme and that theme only. So if you file images in the theme's folder structure only that theme will use the images. If you file theme here and the images do not show you may need to refresh the image cache. Which is why he had that specific step also included in his notes. There is an option for it in your BB settings.

The way you filed it in your post if the default global image location. Images posted in the LaunchBox\Images folder will be shared by all themes.

28 minutes ago, Retro808 said:

The way Faeran described the filing is to use the images with that theme and that theme only. So if you file images in the theme's folder structure only that theme will use the images. If you file theme here and the images do not show you may need to refresh the image cache. There is an option for it in your BB settings.

The way you filed it in your post if the default global image location. Images posted in the LaunchBox\Images folder will be shared by all themes.

I want the BB theme to override everything placed within LaunchBox\Images. I have refreshed both the platform wheel and all images cache. I double checked the individual image names and they are all correct, but they still do not appear :(

Edited by Captain Star Paw