LaunchBox Community Forums

Mame 0.241 CHD How to do?

marcosgaming

Hi guys, 

I have 0.241 Romset merged and 0.241 CHD collection merged. 

I have simply a rom folders with inside all zip files and chd folders with same name of zip file. 

I follow the video guide etaprime or launchbox tutorial. It's all automatic and easy by new feature of LaunchBox (import full Romset mame) but system not import chds too.... Why? Maybe I need non merge or split version of Romset 0.241? Maybe merge not is a good Romset for chds? 

I'm downloading from pleasuredome. What I wrong? Why chds not are imported? 

Thanks. 

The CHD file is not imported the zipped rom for the CHD is. For example the CHD folder named kinst is the arcade disk image for Killer Instinct. LB will import kinst.zip NOT the chd. LB simply sends a command line to Mame to run kinst.zip. Mame then uses the CHD data.

The best thing to do is make sure the CHD folders are either located in the Mame rom folder or be sure you tell Mame where to find the CHD folders.

Not sure what ETA guide or LB guide you are watching, but I am sure neither of them tell you LB will import the actual CHD file.

Hi, thanks for fast answer.

Tomorrow I try. 

I'm using rom set 0.241 merged (about 70GB) with CHDs 0.241 (about 600GB).

It's best combination or i try to change Version base into split or no-merged? 

I see that no-merged version have more zip files with same name of folders chd respect merged version. 

Tell me and tomorrow I will try. Thanks

5 hours ago, marcosgaming said:

It's best combination or i try to change Version base into split or no-merged? 

It makes ZERO difference what set you use, and as stated only the MAME emulator cares about the CHD's. Try loading Killer Instinct, does it work? If so everything is working fine. You do keep asking for help recently, but seem to be ignoring the answers and repeating the issue you think you have, maybe actually test the things that are suggested to you first?

5 hours ago, marcosgaming said:

I see that no-merged version have more zip files with same name of folders chd respect merged version. 

It has more zips, but it does not have more games, and this is why that set is larger, it has many repeated files that you dont need repeated.

18 minutes ago, marcosgaming said:

Yes, all works fine but why non merged rom set contains for example 2spicy.zip while Romset merge not contains it?

These are my doubts.

Thanks.

Because that game like gtfore06 and gtfore05 are CHD only games and do not technically require a zip rom. Why the non-merged has it I am not sure. But again, it really is not needed. To run the game you simply need the CHD and the Lindbios.zip (which is already in the full rom set).

You are over thinking this and making Mame harder that it needs to be.

Download any set you want from PleasureDome and get the CHD set if you want (or just download the CHD for the games that actually work as most CHD are non working).

3 hours ago, zugswang said:

I only download the update packs, so I need the bios pack each time to update to the latest version.

That fine, and you should specify that. More often users are downloading the full mame set (which is clearly what this user is doing) and advising them they also need the bios back is giving them bad advice. . 

1 hour ago, zugswang said:

It's not going to do any harm is it ?

It's just overwriting the existing bios files if they are in the set already, plus 100's more that are NOT already in the set.

It will not harm anyone but telling someone to download something the do not need is an unnecessary step. 

45 minutes ago, zugswang said:

So now I find just overwriting the entire set with the bios pack is better for me before I then run my set through Clrmamepro.

99% of of people never use CLRmamepro, or want to for that matter, so rebuilding a romset to incorporate bios files they dont need in the first place is a pretty complicated and pointless step for most users who simply just want some of the games from their childhoods working.

1 hour ago, zugswang said:

That he can obviously make his own mind up to try it or not.

I have been downloading MAME packs since MAME 001 and there have been many times when a specific game would not load because the bios file was wrong on the main download set, that I then found in the bios pack.

So now I find just overwriting the entire set with the bios pack is better for me before I then run my set through Clrmamepro.

It does no harm, so no need to pull me up on it just because I don't do it exactly the same as you.

Thats actually a long winded way to do it, i keep one of my sets fully updated so i can test the no nags, all i do is download the update pack thats released every month, then by choice i just clrmamepro the update into the set. I have never needed to download a bios set as any changes to the bios file are always in the update pack, and it takes me less than 5mins to do.

But i agree with Neil, 99% will never use clrmamepro, or even know what it does, and if used wrongly can destroy a set in seconds, and as such would never tell anyone to download it.

Edited by MadK9