LaunchBox Community Forums

Predictive naming

FILIPINOY79

I just bought launch box and was wondering how come the program cannot figure out certain games cause simple parts of the name isn't exactly spelled out.  Windows cannot have a ":" and will miss some games cause of it.  Or how roms have extra text in the name but the majority of the name is there.  

4 hours ago, FILIPINOY79 said:

I just bought launch box and was wondering how come the program cannot figure out certain games cause simple parts of the name isn't exactly spelled out.  Windows cannot have a ":" and will miss some games cause of it.  Or how roms have extra text in the name but the majority of the name is there.  

WE cant help if your roms are badly named. All extra info like region, version, revision etc should be in parenthesis So "F-Zero (USA) (REV 3)" that takes the name and ignores the rest for matching the rom.  We do use some fuzzy matching at import, but not much so that you do not have a ton of games imported with the wrong name.

14 minutes ago, FILIPINOY79 said:

I'm just saying, Launchbox will miss looking for images for a game if it's missing a colon when you can't use them on windows.

Are you talking about downloading media through LB or manually adding images yourself?

This has not been a problem to date. There are plenty of games in my LB set-up named with ":" in the title and LB imported it fine. Of course the rom file imported does not have the ":".

If you are manually adding the image file you need to replace the ":" with and underscore "_". For example the game below would have an image named 1943_The Battle of Midway.png or you could even name the image after the exact rom name and LB would still see it.

Example for NES.

rom title: 1943 - The Battle of Midway (USA).zip

LB title: 1943: The Battle of Midway

Screen Shot 2022-03-29 at 8.10.46 AM.png

• 2 weeks later...

LOl, I litterally copying the title of the game from the launch box site.  Now it came up.  I guess it was the number 4 that threw it off.  Now you can't say anything wrong about how the roms are named cause this came from steam.

image.png

Edited by FILIPINOY79