LaunchBox Community Forums

Launchbox not starting.

srabadan

Hi there. I am finishing up a launchbox build on a removable SSD for a friend. Working on it today and all of a sudden the app won't launch anymore. It was working one moment, then after a game the launcher just spins. I have restarted, there are no issues with antivirus.

Need to know how to download/install a new copy of the app without having to copy out or move the 2tb game folder I spent the last 3 months organizing. I clicked the uninstall option and it asks me if I want to delete all the components. I definitely do not.

How to fix.

Thanks.

LB keeps copies of installer files in the ...\LaunchBox\Updates folder so you can rerun the installer from there as well as try an older version if think that is the issue.  It will over write and/or update any files that were missing/corrupted but doesn't touch your games, images, and metadata folders (i.e., your specific setup). 

It does sound to me like an antivirus issue if you double click and then nothing happens.  Some AVs would trigger due to the way more recent versions of LB running from the ..\\Launchbox\Core folder (symlinks).  So I would make sure the LB folder is excluded from your antivirus before rerunning the installer.  

I finally have some time to work on this tonight.

I have the updates folder open and I am looking at a .exe from the day my install got corrupted. I should run this and have it install into the existing folder? 

From there it will overwrite ONLY the corrupted files leaving my games, themes and everything else untouched? That sounds too good to be true.

I copying the corrupted install to make a backup of the game folder just in case something goes wrong. I think I would have to jump off a bridge if I had to reconfigure this thing again.

3 hours ago, srabadan said:

I finally have some time to work on this tonight.

I have the updates folder open and I am looking at a .exe from the day my install got corrupted. I should run this and have it install into the existing folder? 

From there it will overwrite ONLY the corrupted files leaving my games, themes and everything else untouched? That sounds too good to be true.

I copying the corrupted install to make a backup of the game folder just in case something goes wrong. I think I would have to jump off a bridge if I had to reconfigure this thing again.

As I said, if you re-run the installer it will not touch the games, themes folders other than reinstalling the files LB needs to run for whatever version you are launching from the updates folder.  Also LB keeps backups of the XML files (its settings, data, configuration) in the Launchbox\Backups folder.  Go to Tools, File Management, and Data Backup and you can force a backup before you do anything.  

• 1 year later...

Hi.

I am having the same issue. I have launchbox and bigbox. Been using it for the past month or so with no issues.
All of a sudden it will not launch. It stays stuck at the loading interface screen.

However, BigBox does launch (doesn't load my startup video anymore though).

I have tried all the solutions I can find:

• Reinstalling over the current install
  • Update DirectX and Distributables 
  • Update Video card drivers
  • Installing in C drive and Documents
  • I have no Anti-Virus installed
  • Windows update
  • Updating Launchbox from 13.5 (which was working) to 13.6

Why all of a sudden did it stop working?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

I kind of fixed it. I did a new fresh installation.
Then I copied over my data, images, videos, and metadata directories over the new installation.

That brought everything back however the themes do not work anymore.
Neither in launchbox or Big box.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
7 minutes ago, Sharley said:

This is the second Launchbox I've purchased and now this one stopped working. I am NOT HAPPY about this and now want my money back for both!!

You'll need to reach out to support@unbrokensoftware.com about a potential refund. If you'd instead like to work through your issue you can create a new forum thread or bug report explaining your issue and we can try to help.

@C-Beats

I got two errors on LB install:

(Inner Exception)

'/' is an unexpected token. The expected token is ';'. Line 36, position 70.

App:     LaunchBox
Version: 13.9
Theme:   Default
Type:    System.Xml.XmlException
Site:    Void Throw(System.Exception)
Source:  System.Private.Xml

at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Throw(Exception e)
   at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Throw(String res, String[] args)
   at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ThrowUnexpectedToken(String expectedToken1, String expectedToken2)
   at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ThrowUnexpectedToken(Int32 pos, String expectedToken1, String expectedToken2)
   at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.HandleEntityReference(Boolean isInAttributeValue, EntityExpandType expandType, Int32& charRefEndPos)
   at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ParseAttributeValueSlow(Int32 curPos, Char quoteChar, NodeData attr)
   at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ParseAttributes()
   at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ParseElement()
   at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ParseElementContent()
   at System.Xaml.XmlCompatibilityReader.Read()
   at MS.Internal.Xaml.Parser.XamlScanner.DoXmlRead()
   at MS.Internal.Xaml.Parser.XamlPullParser.P_EmptyElement()+MoveNext()
   at MS.Internal.Xaml.Parser.XamlPullParser.P_Element()+MoveNext()
   at MS.Internal.Xaml.Parser.XamlPullParser.P_ElementContent()+MoveNext()
   at MS.Internal.Xaml.Parser.XamlPullParser.P_ElementBody()+MoveNext()
   at MS.Internal.Xaml.Parser.XamlPullParser.P_PropertyContent()+MoveNext()
   at MS.Internal.Xaml.Parser.XamlPullParser.P_NonemptyPropertyElement()+MoveNext()
   at MS.Internal.Xaml.Parser.XamlPullParser.P_PropertyElement()+MoveNext()
   at MS.Internal.Xaml.Parser.XamlPullParser.Parse()+MoveNext()
   at MS.Internal.Xaml.NodeStreamSorter.ReadAheadToEndOfAttributes()
   at MS.Internal.Xaml.NodeStreamSorter.MoveNext()
   at System.Xaml.XamlXmlReader.Read()
   at System.Windows.Markup.WpfXamlLoader.TransformNodes(XamlReader xamlReader, XamlObjectWriter xamlWriter, Boolean onlyLoadOneNode, Boolean skipJournaledProperties, Boolean shouldPassLineNumberInfo, IXamlLineInfo xamlLineInfo, IXamlLineInfoConsumer xamlLineInfoConsumer, XamlContextStack`1 stack, IStyleConnector styleConnector)
   at System.Windows.Markup.WpfXamlLoader.Load(XamlReader xamlReader, IXamlObjectWriterFactory writerFactory, Boolean skipJournaledProperties, Object rootObject, XamlObjectWriterSettings settings, Uri baseUri)

(Outer Exception)

'/' is an unexpected token. The expected token is ';'. Line 36, position 70.

Type:    System.Windows.Markup.XamlParseException
Site:    Void RewrapException(System.Exception, System.Xaml.IXamlLineInfo, System.Uri)
Source:  PresentationFramework

at System.Windows.Markup.XamlReader.RewrapException(Exception e, IXamlLineInfo lineInfo, Uri baseUri)
   at System.Windows.Markup.WpfXamlLoader.Load(XamlReader xamlReader, IXamlObjectWriterFactory writerFactory, Boolean skipJournaledProperties, Object rootObject, XamlObjectWriterSettings settings, Uri baseUri)
   at System.Windows.Markup.WpfXamlLoader.Load(XamlReader xamlReader, Boolean skipJournaledProperties, Uri baseUri)
   at System.Windows.Markup.XamlReader.Load(XamlReader xamlReader, ParserContext parserContext)
   at System.Windows.Markup.XamlReader.Load(XmlReader reader, ParserContext parserContext, XamlParseMode parseMode, Boolean useRestrictiveXamlReader, List`1 safeTypes)
   at System.Windows.Markup.XamlReader.Load(Stream stream, ParserContext parserContext, Boolean useRestrictiveXamlReader)
   at System.Windows.Markup.XamlReader.Load(Stream stream)
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Windows.Desktop.Bootstrapper.CalculateInvalidParams(Object )
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Windows.Desktop.Bootstrapper.EnableStatelessParser(Object init)
   at RoleProducer.CustomizeInvalidState(String init, RoleProducer )
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Windows.Desktop.Bootstrapper.ForgotStatelessParser(Type item)
   at Caliburn.Micro.ViewLocator.<>c.<.cctor>b__10_7(Type modelType, DependencyObject displayLocation, Object context)
   at Caliburn.Micro.ViewLocator.<>c.<.cctor>b__10_8(Object model, DependencyObject displayLocation, Object context)
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Windows.Desktop.ViewModels.MainViewModel.get_ContentView()
   at IssuerItem.CustomizeInvalidState(Object , IssuerItem )
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Windows.Desktop.ViewModels.SideBarViewModel.<>c.DeleteStatelessState()
   at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.InvokeDelegateCore()
   at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.InvokeImpl()
--- End of stack trace from previous location ---
   at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.Wait(TimeSpan timeout)
   at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.InvokeImpl(DispatcherOperation operation, CancellationToken cancellationToken, TimeSpan timeout)
   at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.Invoke(Action callback, DispatcherPriority priority, CancellationToken cancellationToken, TimeSpan timeout)
   at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.Invoke(Action callback, DispatcherPriority priority)
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Windows.Threading.CheckTraversalGetter(Object , Object , DispatcherPriority )
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Windows.Threading.Invoke(Action callback, DispatcherPriority priority)
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Windows.Desktop.ViewModels.SideBarViewModel.IncludeStatelessComparator(Boolean isres, Boolean isresult, Node dir, Playlist t2, Boolean allowconfig3)
   at SingletonPool.CustomizeInvalidState(Object , Boolean isres, Boolean isresult, Node dir, Playlist t2, Boolean allowconfig3, SingletonPool )
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Windows.Desktop.ViewModels.SideBarViewModel.<>c__DisplayClass85_0.CreateStatelessConfiguration()
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Windows.Threading.<>c__DisplayClass0_0.ViewAbstractEvent(Object )
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Windows.Threading.<>c__DisplayClass0_0.MoveReflectiveConnection()
   at System.Threading.Thread.StartHelper.Callback(Object state)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
--- End of stack trace from previous location ---
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
   at System.Threading.Thread.StartCallback()

Recent Log:

8:29:54 PM Exception

(Inner Exception)

'/' is an unexpected token. The expected token is ';'. Line 126, position 182.

Type:    System.Xml.XmlException
Site:    Void Throw(System.Exception)
Source:  System.Private.Xml

at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Throw(Exception e)
   at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Throw(String res, String[] args)
   at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ThrowUnexpectedToken(String expectedToken1, String expectedToken2)
   at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ThrowUnexpectedToken(Int32 pos, String expectedToken1, String expectedToken2)
   at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.HandleEntityReference(Boolean isInAttributeValue, EntityExpandType expandType, Int32& charRefEndPos)
   at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ParseAttributeValueSlow(Int32 curPos, Char quoteChar, NodeData attr)
   at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ParseAttributes()
   at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ParseElement()
   at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ParseElementContent()
   at System.Xaml.XmlCompatibilityReader.Read()
   at MS.Internal.Xaml.Parser.XamlScanner.DoXmlRead()
   at MS.Internal.Xaml.Parser.XamlPullParser.Parse()+MoveNext()
   at MS.Internal.Xaml.NodeStreamSorter.ReadAheadToEndOfAttributes()
   at MS.Internal.Xaml.NodeStreamSorter.MoveNext()
   at System.Xaml.XamlXmlReader.Read()
   at System.Windows.Markup.WpfXamlLoader.TransformNodes(XamlReader xamlReader, XamlObjectWriter xamlWriter, Boolean onlyLoadOneNode, Boolean skipJournaledProperties, Boolean shouldPassLineNumberInfo, IXamlLineInfo xamlLineInfo, IXamlLineInfoConsumer xamlLineInfoConsumer, XamlContextStack`1 stack, IStyleConnector styleConnector)

(Outer Exception)

'/' is an unexpected token. The expected token is ';'. Line 126, position 182.

Type:    System.Windows.Markup.XamlParseException
Site:    Void RewrapException(System.Exception, System.Xaml.IXamlLineInfo, System.Uri)
Source:  PresentationFramework

at System.Windows.Markup.XamlReader.RewrapException(Exception e, IXamlLineInfo lineInfo, Uri baseUri)
   at System.Windows.Markup.WpfXamlLoader.Load(XamlReader xamlReader, Boolean skipJournaledProperties, Uri baseUri)
   at System.Windows.Markup.XamlReader.Load(XamlReader xamlReader, ParserContext parserContext)
   at System.Windows.Markup.XamlReader.Load(XmlReader reader, ParserContext parserContext, XamlParseMode parseMode, Boolean useRestrictiveXamlReader, List`1 safeTypes)
   at System.Windows.Markup.XamlReader.Load(Stream stream, ParserContext parserContext, Boolean useRestrictiveXamlReader)
   at System.Windows.Markup.XamlReader.Load(Stream stream)
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Windows.Desktop.Bootstrapper.CalculateInvalidParams(Object )
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Windows.Desktop.Bootstrapper.EnableStatelessParser(Object init)
   at RoleProducer.CustomizeInvalidState(String init, RoleProducer )
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Windows.Desktop.Bootstrapper.ForgotStatelessParser(Type item)
   at Caliburn.Micro.ViewLocator.<>c.<.cctor>b__10_7(Type modelType, DependencyObject displayLocation, Object context)
   at Caliburn.Micro.ViewLocator.<>c.<.cctor>b__10_8(Object model, DependencyObject displayLocation, Object context)
   at Caliburn.Micro.WindowManager.CreateWindow(Object rootModel, Boolean isDialog, Object context, IDictionary`2 settings)
   at Caliburn.Micro.WindowManager.ShowWindow(Object rootModel, Object context, IDictionary`2 settings)
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Windows.Desktop.Bootstrapper.OnStartup(Object sender, StartupEventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Application.OnStartup(StartupEventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Application.<.ctor>b__1_0(Object unused)
   at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs)
   at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.TryCatchWhen(Object source, Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs, Delegate catchHandler)

Recent Log:

8:29:56 PM Exception