LaunchBox Community Forums

Is there a way to remove the double dots " : " from all the game's names?

Tackskull

Hi there, I have so many games within launchbox, and rename them one by one it would require so much time. There is a way to remove the double dots " : " from the name of the games? Thi character basically it brokes the game natural order.

For example: 

metal slug 2

metal slug 3

metal slug 4

metal slug 5

metal slug: super vehicle

Basically the system see the double dots as a character that must be isted after the letters, and in other many cases as metal slug, the first title of a series is listed as the last one.

Another possibility would let the system see the double dts character to be listed before the letters in the alphabetic order.

3 hours ago, Tackskull said:

Basically the system see the double dots as a character that must be isted after the letters, and in other many cases as metal slug, the first title of a series is listed as the last one.

Another possibility would let the system see the double dts character to be listed before the letters in the alphabetic order.

I haven't heavily looked into this, but one would think that a game that has a colon in it wouldn't always be the first in a game series, so if you were to change a global setting of some kind, you would end up messing with the order of other series.

So, while not the answer you were looking for (since you said it would take too much time), LaunchBox does have a special field called the Sort Title, for every game, which can change the position of a game in your list, without needing to alter the game's name. You can find this if you edit any game, and go into the Sort Title section.

Don't change the names!! You'll only make your life harder having your own unique naming standard different from the community one.

You can always change the sort name of the game if the order is your main concern, I'd suggest sort naming as the series plus the release year so you'll avoid weird organization problems like having a recent reboot game next to the first one instead of at the end. Mortal Kombat series is a clear offender of this, they have very inconsistent naming, sometimes they'll use decimal numerals (Mortal Kombat 4), sometimes roman numerals (Mortal Kombat II and Mortal Kombat X), sometimes they don't have any number (Mortal Kombat Komplete Edition which is actually Mortal Kombat 9).

Edited by Suhrvivor

3 hours ago, Knowcontrol said:

Bulk Rename Utility by Jim Willsher. You can specify the character to find and then define what is to replace it. Your changes are shown in real time before you commit.

I think you are speaking about rename the rom and iso files right? I know the program you say, but what I wont to to is to modify the metadata name in launchbox.

2 hours ago, faeran said:

I haven't heavily looked into this, but one would think that a game that has a colon in it wouldn't always be the first in a game series, so if you were to change a global setting of some kind, you would end up messing with the order of other series.

So, while not the answer you were looking for (since you said it would take too much time), LaunchBox does have a special field called the Sort Title, for every game, which can change the position of a game in your list, without needing to alter the game's name. You can find this if you edit any game, and go into the Sort Title section.

Where I can find this "Sort title" feature in launchbox?

Thanks a lot. Anyawy I would suggetst to the launchbox stuff just to remove the double dots, they are useless and make the games in a strange order.

Instead the double dots, would be better  an empty space and a " - ", for example:

Metal slug - super vehicle

metal slug 2

metal slug 3

metal slug 4

metal slug 5

Yes the order of many games would remain messed up, as the series with roman number, but an ampty space followed by a " - " will resolve many many games order without change each series.