LaunchBox Community Forums

Arc's Carts (Need helpers)

Arcanthur

I've started working on cartridge front artwork for multiple systems.  But I need help adding the label artwork for each game and naming each file appropriately.  Much like the bezel project, this is a massive undertaking, and I'd rather spend my time creating the cart art so I can get more systems done, while the labels are done for each game.  I can create easy to use PSD templates if anyone is interested in helping with this project.  Let me know if you'd be interested in helping out and I will set you up with a google drive link with psd's and we can create some fresh, high quality art.

Here are the systems I've done so far:

Carts6.png

Edited by Arcanthur
  • Like 2
  • Unusual Gem 2

• Arcanthur changed the title to Arc's Carts (Need helpers)

This is pretty interesting stylized look. I like the attempt at what your doing but the way some of these templates are laid out I'd find quite a bit confusing. Your templates aren't at a consistent angle or skew. Angles applied to the bottom of the cart where you're displaying the physical card poke out are at an angle but the tops are strait on. This gives the carts an appearance like what are warped U shape. Even if you were using an angled orthographic camera you'd see a bit the same angled stretch at the top of the cart that doesn't exist in these templates.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, C-Beats said:

This is pretty interesting stylized look. I like the attempt at what your doing but the way some of these templates are laid out I'd find quite a bit confusing. Your templates aren't at a consistent angle or skew. Angles applied to the bottom of the cart where you're displaying the physical card poke out are at an angle but the tops are strait on. This gives the carts an appearance like what are warped U shape. Even if you were using an angled orthographic camera you'd see a bit the same angled stretch at the top of the cart that doesn't exist in these templates.

I'm aware that the angle doesn't represent what would be possible in physical reality.  However, this is a stylistic choice that I made so that the cart front wouldn't be skewed.  I understand that it may not be for everyone, and I respect that opinion.  One could perceivably just cut the bottoms off and be left with a standard front facing cart.  I'm totally fine if someone wants to do that after the fact, but I plan to proceed with this style.

I do appreciate the criticism though.

• Game On 1

1 minute ago, Arcanthur said:

I'm aware that the angle doesn't represent what would be possible in physical reality.  However, this is a stylistic choice that I made so that the cart front wouldn't be skewed.  I understand that it may not be for everyone, and I respect that opinion.  One could perceivably just cut the bottoms off and be left with a standard front facing cart.  I'm totally fine if someone wants to do that after the fact, but I plan to proceed with this style.

I do appreciate the criticism though.

Cool. Yeah I had a feeling it probably was a style choice, thanks for confirming though. I personally don't use cart artwork but I can see these becoming pretty popular. Glad to have another artist in the community. Always fun to see new faces bringing some interesting new things to the community.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, C-Beats said:

Cool. Yeah I had a feeling it probably was a style choice, thanks for confirming though. I personally don't use cart artwork but I can see these becoming pretty popular. Glad to have another artist in the community. Always fun to see new faces bringing some interesting new things to the community.

Thanks!  I don't typically use cart artwork either, but I feel like part of that is lack of consistency.  The carts that I've scraped are generally scans, and while some of them are high quality, the minor differences in color grading from cart to cart, and items not lining up 100% give it kind of chaotic appearance when looking at a large collection.  That's why I wanted to create something really detailed and unique, but most importantly consistency when scrolling though carts in each system.  

3 hours ago, Mr.Laor said:

Conflicted. Overall I really like the illustrated and vibrant style, but I agree w/ CBeats, the bottoms throw me off a little too much. Nice work though.

That's understandable, I know they won't be for everybody.  I am trying to be cognizant of the angle though, and to make the transition as subtle as I can while still showing the bottom.  For instance, I just edited the Super Famicom cart design to better reflect those ideas.  I angled the side ridges slightly so the transition to the bottom wouldn't be as stark.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

As others have said, I'm conflicted with the design choice showing off the cartridge's connector. On the one hand, I can appreciate these being accurately represented. On the other, my brain won't stop telling me it looks wrong given the angle. Overall though I appreciate the effort and its high-quality work. In the end, I think the uniformity of this is going to be a really attractive addition to a BigBox. I could definitely see myself making use of these.

Thanks!

13 hours ago, Whatscheizer said:

As others have said, I'm conflicted with the design choice showing off the cartridge's connector. On the one hand, I can appreciate these being accurately represented. On the other, my brain won't stop telling me it looks wrong given the angle. Overall though I appreciate the effort and its high-quality work. In the end, I think the uniformity of this is going to be a really attractive addition to a BigBox. I could definitely see myself making use of these.

Thanks!

This is an artistic choice by the author, and is no different than the "2.5D" box fronts that are also being created and posted to this site. Some love them, some don't. There are choices everywhere!