LaunchBox Community Forums

Asking for some buying advice please

Mr.Laor

I'm currently running an older i500 and a 1050 TI. I'd like to upgrade both by CPU and graphics card. 

I'm hoping the helpful community can give me some suggestions. Here are my guidelines.

1) I need a graphics card that is useful for a variety of purposes. I do not need a 4k top of the line card, but I do like to play some newer PC games on my 1080P projector. I also use newer emulators (Yuzu / RCPC3) quite often. Finally, I even hook up my Oculus 2 to stream PC VR games as well. Hoping to spend up to $500 for a card. My old 1050TI has been so steady, I wouldn't mind staying with a TI card - Any thoughts on these? PNY RTX 3060 Ti XLR8 Gaming REVEL EPIC-X RGB LHR Graphics Card / or MSI GeForce RTX 3060 Ti VENTUS 3X OC LHR Graphics Card? Other ideas? I don't think I want to switch to AMD.

2) Same requirements for my CPU - hopefully not more than 300-400$

Any guidance or suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

Derek

7 hours ago, Mr.Laor said:

'm currently running an older i500

If you mean an older intel I5 upgrading the cpu won't get you very far. In the past intel only supported 2 generations per motherboard model / cpu socket. In that case the best you can do is go from a I5 to a i7 of the next generation. But that's much less of a leap than you think. (Not to mention you should also consider if your current cpu cooling solution is still sufficient.)

Edited by Your Friendly A.I Overlord

7 hours ago, Mr.Laor said:

I'm currently running an older i500 and a 1050 TI. I'd like to upgrade both by CPU and graphics card. 

for emulators first the CPU is important. if you go with something like 12300 or so, you will gain a lot of more power compared on what you wrote. but new cpu means new mainboard and new ram as well. nearly 800% more power.

after that your 1050ti would be great again with the better cpu.