LaunchBox Community Forums

GamerKeags_YT

I have the same problem.  Nothing syncing and no virus scanner quarantining it.  I do not use Dropbox.  LB starts up and runs with no issues, but when I try to update it via the in-program link, I get the same message.  Once updated via a file download, it also loads and runs with no issues.  This is a longstanding problem.

We do get reports of this and similar things with the auto-updater from time to time, but they are very rare. Unfortunately we've never been able to reproduce any of these issues. If you guys can share as many details as possible about your system specs and what version of Windows you're running, that might help.

Windows 10, using Defender and Malware Bytes as security software.  I do have Google Drive in use, but nothing in it relates in any way to Launchbox, its data, or any games.

An update to my earlier post:  I wrote it before I downloaded and updated to v12.14.  When I did download the update, I got a warning in Firefox that the file might harm my computer with an option to keep or discard it.  I kept it, and ran it.  After running the install (I run the program from my D:\Launchbox folder), I got the same "trouble starting the setup" warning when I tried to run LB.  However, after I dismissed the warning, LB ran just fine and was fully updated.  Could Defender or Malwarebytes be interfering?

1 hour ago, BlancoDC said:

Windows 10, using Defender and Malware Bytes as security software.  I do have Google Drive in use, but nothing in it relates in any way to Launchbox, its data, or any games.

An update to my earlier post:  I wrote it before I downloaded and updated to v12.14.  When I did download the update, I got a warning in Firefox that the file might harm my computer with an option to keep or discard it.  I kept it, and ran it.  After running the install (I run the program from my D:\Launchbox folder), I got the same "trouble starting the setup" warning when I tried to run LB.  However, after I dismissed the warning, LB ran just fine and was fully updated.  Could Defender or Malwarebytes be interfering?

I'm almost positive that Malwarebytes is the cause of your problems. I believe I've heard specifically of this issue with that software before, now that I think about it,