LaunchBox Community Forums

Different versions of the same game

Sath

Hi there,

how can i manage to launch different versions of the same game without add a single game in LB for each version?

Example:

The Secret of Monkey Island EGA Floppy DOS Version

The Secret of Monkey Island VGA Floppy DOS Version Eng

The Secret of Monkey Island VGA Floppy DOS Version Ita

The Secret of Monkey Island CD-Rom DOS Version

etc.

of course i have each different folders with each game in them, but in LB i prefer have "one" game (TSoMI for MS-DOS) and select which version launch each time, maybe right clicking on the game.

I hope I have explained and that it is possible, thanks

When you import games you can tell LB in to combine games with matching titles (this only works when you are importing them all at the same time). There is a check box for that in the import UI.

As an FYI...If you have games that were already imported as individual games into LB you can select them all, right click, then choose the option to combine (or highlight them all and CTRL+SHIFT+C).

• Like 1

Thanks for hint but it seems doesn't work for me.

I added another version of the game, selecting "combine..." during the wizard. Automatically don't combine them.

So i do it manually after, and LB combine them.

But now? How can i select to launch one rather than the other?

If you already have a game of that name imported and then are importing another game with the same name LB does not combine the new one with the one already imported. That "combine" option during import is only for games you are importing at the same time.

If combined you can right click and edit the game and will see the other versions under the "Additional Apps" listing.

35 minutes ago, Sath said:

TBut now? How can i select to launch one rather than the other?

Right click the game you should see am option to select the alternate versions.

If you are in BigBox and have "Game Details" showing (or you bind a button to show Game Details) the other versions will be showing there.

Screen Shot 2022-09-18 at 11.00.02 AM.png

• Like 1

i don't get that option right clicking on game....

image.thumb.jpeg.3810a8ab81176aa4edd622f4293b8eb0.jpeg

For better explain my situation, i launch the game with RetroArch with scumvmm libretro and this is the path of the executable.

image.thumb.jpeg.f13065fa794e9f805725787e9950c313.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.6121742238966a72719fbd87b5ee4043.jpeg

i added another executable at Games\MS-DOS\Monkey Island 2 - LeChuck's Revenge\Eng\monkey2.scummvm, combined both..... but nothing.

On 9/18/2022 at 4:13 PM, Sath said:

i don't get that option right clicking on game....

image.thumb.jpeg.3810a8ab81176aa4edd622f4293b8eb0.jpeg

For better explain my situation, i launch the game with RetroArch with scumvmm libretro and this is the path of the executable.

image.thumb.jpeg.f13065fa794e9f805725787e9950c313.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.6121742238966a72719fbd87b5ee4043.jpeg

i added another executable at Games\MS-DOS\Monkey Island 2 - LeChuck's Revenge\Eng\monkey2.scummvm, combined both..... but nothing.

In your second image you have -L folder/core name, that is not needed there as its already set at the Associated platform screen, you are essectially trying to load the emulator twice, and this will probably break things.

1 hour ago, neil9000 said:

In your second image you have -L folder/core name, that is not needed there as its already set at the Associated platform screen, you are essectially trying to load the emulator twice, and this will probably break things.

the custom command line is filled because i use scummvm_libretro core for this game instead the default core for Retroarch ms-dos that, in associated platforms is set a dosbox_pure