LaunchBox Community Forums

RetroArch Mame input issues

spyksaturn

This one could get long so I'll try and make it short and sweet without cutting out the important info and elaborate on a different paragraph. 

Short explanation: controls in mame work fine. Controls in mame through RetroArch cores (any) are horrid from the start in that some buttons perform two functions and others nothing. Mapping not working properly when trying to change them in mames options after loading through RetroArch. 

Elaboration: Silly me for wanting to set up retro achievements for arcade games. I should have known the rest of it went way too easy including the conversion from stand alone to RetroArch. So to elaborate before messing with any settings and testing out on shmups we had issues such as down was causing my character to go down and shoot, button one was causing to both shoot and use bombs. These sorts of actions carried over to any game of the genre. I went into the UI for mame in RetroArch to change the controls and boy what I found there. When trying to map a directional input it would hit multiple different inputs. Buttons seemed fine as far as mapping goes so the only thing I can think of there is the inputs from both RetroArch and mame are trying to go through and possibly in that order. This how ever would not make sense with a directional button firing as I've never set a directional button to fire. So I doubled back to my stand alone mame to verify it worked, input mapping worked and no other issues existed that I may have been experiencing with RetroArch. No issues there. I was thinking of possibly going into the script for that core and manually copying the settings from the stand alone mame to that one, but as I felt my blood pressure get higher and not wanting to worsen it, I logiced that out and am thinking it won't make a lick of difference if the reading aren't showing up correctly when trying to map them in the first place. If it helps I'm using an 8bitdo fight stick but again I don't see that being the issue if it's working fine in the stand alone. There again if I can't figure this out what do I know🤣. Appreciate you all and all your help.

5 minutes ago, spyksaturn said:

controls in mame work fine. Controls in mame through RetroArch cores (any) are horrid from the start in that some buttons perform two functions and others nothing. Mapping not working properly when trying to change them in mames options after loading through RetroArch. 

Yup, the main reason i avoid MAME on retroarch like the plague. Retrorch and the MAME core are fighting each other for control, as soon as you try changing anything from the default it becomes a complete shitshow. Stick to actual standalone MAME.

Edited by neil9000

RA Mame core controls suck, this is why we always recommend using stand alone Mame.

Typically the RA core devs remove all the controller code from emulators and let RAs controller layer take over. But for some reason or another they do not do this with Mame, I am sure they have a valid reason for it but in any case they 2 controller layers fight.

Just now, neil9000 said:

Yup, the main reason i avoid MAME on retroarch like the plague. Retrorch and the MAME core are fighting each other for control, as soon as you try changing anything from the default it becomes a complete shitshow. Stick to acyual standalone MAME.

I was afraid of that. I suppose there are no ways around RetroArch for the achievements through mame? I've looked myself and that seems a hopeless endeavor.

• 5 weeks later...
15 hours ago, TommyTomorrow said:

So, what should I do to prevent LB from using Retroarch to launch MAME roms? Do I need to use Retroarch for MAME roms to be able to submit a high scores in MAME games? I have some input issues in MAME launched by LB but everything is fine when I play games directly from MAME.

LB will launch the selected game through the default emulator assigned to that platform or to that particular game if setup as such. Right now I would believe you set it up so Retroarch is your default emulator for Arcade platform. Assuming you have already added MAME as an emulator in your emulator list, simply make MAME the default emulator for the Arcade platform by ticking the checkbox in the Edit Emulator window.  I'm not sure about the high score stuff because I haven't tried out this feature yet.

image.thumb.png.46e9ac4f106541d3c75db19a1e6f5ad9.png

MAME settings

image.thumb.png.a088aab8180fc6320835179e1e0f3794.png

Here are MAME emulator settings. These default command line parameters are made by LB and I don't know if I should change/delete them.

image.thumb.png.d91579c2baaf2c7fa4f22f9f70684086.png

Retroarch settings

image.thumb.png.41d9d3c3d1a19c3d6af386bfd5cae5c5.png

----edit---

OK, I've read MAME tutorial for n00bs then I've unchecked all checkboxes and I've deleted all command line parameters and now LB launches MAME directly.

Edited by TommyTomorrow