LaunchBox Community Forums

Sort by Raster/Vector

Drybonz

LaunchBox doesn't store display type information about Arcade machines.  So it can't be filtered.  In fact, there isn't really an up-to-date definitive list that sorts by display types for MAME.  

I think your only option might be to create a Playlist for each one.  You'd 1st need to manually generate a list for each display type (see attached).  The Arcade Database can help you with that using their Additional Filters and then exporting the results to an ini file(s).

MAME Raster.ini    MAME Vector.ini

Next, install the plugin that can create playlists using these ini files and follow the How to use instructions.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Drybonz said:

The raster/vector info is listed directly in MAME.  If you open MAMEui64, look at the "type" column.  Is there any way to use this info to update LB with these categories?

Ahh... you're right. MAME -listxml does list the display types for each machine.  <!ATTLIST display type (raster|vector|lcd|svg|unknown) #REQUIRED>

So the only thing the LB developers would need to do is add a new element to their metadata when they parse -listxml and add a new field the UI.  Then adjust any other methods that are affected by this.  Including Search, Filters and Arrange By.  Sounds simple enough. ;)

Because this unique to just the MAME/Arcade platform, it'd probably only happen by an upvoted Feature Request and then a "popularity vote" on the Community Poll.  I've recall people asking about Arcade display types once or twice (or more?) since I've been here, so it may already be on BitBucket.

It's a pretty useful field for sorting when it comes to arcade though.  Especially if you are working on bezels, etc...  It used to be available through the long defunct Lightspeed mod, which of course no longer works.  I can understand if you don't want to add it, but it would be useful in LB as a organizational tool.  It's unlikely people will upvote organizational features over things like 3D box images, etc...

Edited by Drybonz

As stated you CAN do this, it just isn't something that is in the native app. There are resources available to you to add that metadata to your collection so that you have the data point you want. Short of having a license (required for custom fields) there is nothing stopping you from doing this now with the instructions given to you.