LaunchBox Community Forums

Exiting Teknoparrot from BigBox

GepettoZHog

I've found a few threads that START to answer this question, but I'm still not finding an answer that works. Ultimately, I'm looking for a way to exit Teknoparrot with my existing "exit game" hotkeys that I use with BigBox already. Attempting to use the exit hotkey does nothing (but works fine with all other emulators like Model 2, MAME and Retroarch)

Current exit hotkey: Button 7+Button 8

(I am aware that there are some issues with using combinations to exit games, but given that it's a 4-player cab, I don't want to use any of those buttons to exit the game when they're used in MAME...etc).

Have also tried adding this on emulator Exit Script (per other thread):

$Esc::
{
 WinClose, ahk_exe {{{StartupEXE}}}
}

Doesn't make a difference, exit command is ignored with Teknoparrot. Not running it as admin either. Any suggestions?

• Like 1

Just tried that, no change. The inputs are clearly working as global key settings through Big Box (the individual keys are mapped to volume control in all games), but when pressed together do not quit the game.

Any other ideas? Does running Teknoparrot windowed vs fullscreen matter?

8 minutes ago, GepettoZHog said:

Just tried that, no change. The inputs are clearly working as global key settings through Big Box (the individual keys are mapped to volume control in all games), but when pressed together do not quit the game.

Any other ideas? Does running Teknoparrot windowed vs fullscreen matter?

I know you said exiting works with other emulators but can you confirm in BigBox which option do you have your exit keys mapped to?

Do you have it mapped to the option for "Exit" or "Close Active Window"?

2 minutes ago, Retro808 said:

I know you said exiting works with other emulators but can you confirm in BigBox which option do you have your exit keys mapped to?

Do you have it mapped to the option for "Exit" or "Close Active Window"?

This is what I have in the Game Controller settings.

image.thumb.png.aa52353a5c9051031c3b0551b2481a78.png

I'm not seeing an option to change from "Exit Game" to "Close Active Window". Am I missing something?

1 minute ago, GepettoZHog said:

This is what I have in the Game Controller settings.

image.thumb.png.aa52353a5c9051031c3b0551b2481a78.png

I'm not seeing an option to change from "Exit Game" to "Close Active Window". Am I missing something?

Apologies. I was thinking BB not LB. 

Does this affect all TP games or just some? Have not messed with TP in a while but those are the same buttons I mapped to exit. 

1 minute ago, Retro808 said:

Apologies. I was thinking BB not LB. 

Does this affect all TP games or just some? Have not messed with TP in a while but those are the same buttons I mapped to exit. 

All TP games. FWIW, I am talking about BB, not LB. Is there a BB-specific setting I should be tinkering with?

4 minutes ago, GepettoZHog said:

All TP games. FWIW, I am talking about BB, not LB. Is there a BB-specific setting I should be tinkering with?

Yes. They each have their own settings. In BB you need to bind your exit combo to the option for "Close Active Window". NOT the "Exit" option.

Had some mapping difficulties, but was able to get the Close Active Window command to work (yay!)

However, I get a system error popup now. It's dismissable with spacebar (and it DOES take me to BB after that), but was wondering if there was a way to skirt that altogether?

@GepettoZHog and @Drybonz try this and see if it helps? place this into the "running script" tab of the emulator

Esc::
Process, Close, TeknoParrotUI.exe
Run, taskkill /im "TeknoParrotUI.exe" /F

I've seen that same wall of text error that comes up after exiting a game. For me it actually seems to always go away without user intervention, I just wait a couple seconds and it closes. If I remove that specific script I just shared that error will be triggered. Perhaps more is going on, but using that script eliminates the issue for me.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

• 1 month later...
On 3/13/2023 at 5:36 PM, skizzosjt said:

@GepettoZHog and @Drybonz try this and see if it helps? place this into the "running script" tab of the emulator

Esc::
Process, Close, TeknoParrotUI.exe
Run, taskkill /im "TeknoParrotUI.exe" /F

I've seen that same wall of text error that comes up after exiting a game. For me it actually seems to always go away without user intervention, I just wait a couple seconds and it closes. If I remove that specific script I just shared that error will be triggered. Perhaps more is going on, but using that script eliminates the issue for me.

thank you so much! was dealing with this for a long time and couldn't figure out the cause (process of elimination let me to realize it was a teknoparrot update at some point that caused this)

your help is great!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, Omegasis said:

@skizzosjt Thanks man! Your script works great!

I def didn't write it, just the messenger but not the author. I think I lifted it right out of a Sinden Lightgun script for launching the game and all the support stuff and this was used at the end to close it. I don't even have Sinden Lightguns lol just like poking around in  others scripts to learn more and stumbled onto that.

with that said I got curious after seeing this post again. I'm pretty certain now the script isn't doing anything special really. It is just force closing the program before the error has a chance to display. So this does not resolve any sort of root cause of the error, but instead kills the program before the error can be thrown. Also after taking just a few seconds to really think what this script is doing.....using these two lines is pointless. Both of those lines do the same exact thing, which is killing/ending the process. I just tested this theory, and removing the Process, Close line does not do any harm, the error still doesn't display at exit. Or alternatively remove the taskkill line and leave the other. So it can be shortened to one line and work just as effective.

Esc::Run, taskkill /im "TeknoParrotUI.exe" /F

OR 

Esc::Process, Close, TeknoParrotUI.exe

• Like 1

6 hours ago, skizzosjt said:

Esc::Run, taskkill /im "TeknoParrotUI.exe" /F

OR 

Esc::Process, Close, TeknoParrotUI.exe

I also don't have a Sinden Lightgun but I'm thinking buying one or two depending on the experience 🤔 

The error on exit that was getting with TeknoParrot doesn't happen with all my games. Actually, only happens when I play Initial D Arcade Stage 6 AA and only when I use LaunchBox/BigBox. If I use TeknoParrot directly then I get no error. Very strange 🤔 

I will test the short version of your script today and give you an update. Anyways, thanks for the script again. That error was very annoying and I just wanted to get rid of it 😅

• 2 months later...
On 3/13/2023 at 3:25 PM, GepettoZHog said:

Had some mapping difficulties, but was able to get the Close Active Window command to work (yay!)

However, I get a system error popup now. It's dismissable with spacebar (and it DOES take me to BB after that), but was wondering if there was a way to skirt that altogether?

@GepettoZHogWhat mapping issues did you have exactly? I think I may be experiencing those issues in the mapping process. I got to the "close active window" setting in big box options and have set to the 7 + 8 button and that is still not working. I even set the ahk tab in launchbox with the right script mentioned earlier and still nothing.