LaunchBox Community Forums

Can't get Saturn games to launch in LB

GlassMonolith

This was actually one of the first things I did to try and correct it because I noticed WHILE it was working (originally with Yabause), that it was loading the first .bin file. After swapping RetroArch to Beetle and correcting the .cue files, it no longer opens anything. I even tried switching it back to the .bin files and nothing.

Development in the issue: When I delete all the catalog info and just let it scan the whole folder again, it brings the .bins back and tries to launch the#1 bin file with Yabause still. I don't have Yabause, but it's still opening the console somehow? It black screens after the Sega/Saturn logo.

1 hour ago, GlassMonolith said:

Development in the issue: When I delete all the catalog info and just let it scan the whole folder again, it brings the .bins back and tries to launch the#1 bin file with Yabause still. 

When using bin/cue files you cannot scan the folder and import. LB does not know which file is the main file an emulator needs to launch so it is not going to select just the .cue file.

You need to either open the folder and select all .cue files and drag and drop into LB or in the wizard use the import option that allows you to select files and then select only the .cue files that way and import. 

1 hour ago, GlassMonolith said:

I don't have Yabause, but it's still opening the console somehow? It black screens after the Sega/Saturn logo.

This is likely because you may have set Yabause as "Default" for the platform. When you do that any subsequent import of rom files will use the emulator you set as default. In LB go to >Tools >Manage> Emulators and edit Yabause look in the Associated Platforms tab and see if you have the box checked for "Set as Default" 

So as per my previous posts; I had it pointed to just the .cue and it wasn't working. I decided to re-scan for it to show all files and it was ABLE to try
and use .bins & Yabause, and it was actually trying to start up games again.

My issue is that with it pointed to only .cue files, using RetroArch directly as the emulator (As far as I can tell, I've only had it set to this) and RetroArch internally only having
Beetle, it simply does NOTHING when I launch the game. The only emulator in Tools>Manage>Emulator is the RetroArch.exe.

HOWEVER, if I go in to edit the RetroArch.exe emulator and go to Associated Platforms, every console has a list of cores that I do not have?

image.thumb.png.ed3db05593ab58fd37402b1e324c6f1f.png
image.thumb.png.d265c84fbf3b14919e4ea275678b7651.png

Edited by GlassMonolith

I read what your initial posts stated that is why I was clarifying some things for you. 

If you do not have those cores and are not using those for the platforms then you need to assign the correct core for each platform you intend to use. In the "Core" sell click on it. It is a drop-down box that allows you to select the correct core. 

Also you need to make sure LB is pointing to the .cue file for the game. If it is pointing to the .bin it will not work. Right click and edit a game. Look in the "Launching" tab and make sure it is pointing to the cue file. Then in the "Emulation" tab check that it is pointing to Retroarch. 

I've had the files pointed directly at the .cue. It was only changed to try a different method in my troubleshooting. It has also been set to RetroArch
the entire time. I do honestly appreciate the help, very much. I just feel like we're on the 4th time of me stating that I have these things set.

That being said; I had NO IDEA those cells were clickable! Seems a bit unintuitive. That feels like exactly the fix though (I'm hoping) but unfortunately, Beetle Saturn doesn't
appear to be on the list? Is it possible to manually add it?

39 minutes ago, GlassMonolith said:

I've had the files pointed directly at the .cue. It was only changed to try a different method in my troubleshooting. It has also been set to RetroArch
the entire time. I do honestly appreciate the help, very much. I just feel like we're on the 4th time of me stating that I have these things set.

That being said; I had NO IDEA those cells were clickable! Seems a bit unintuitive. That feels like exactly the fix though (I'm hoping) but unfortunately, Beetle Saturn doesn't
appear to be on the list? Is it possible to manually add it?

The actual core name is mednafen saturn, its only called beetle in the retroarch UI, the actual file is mednafen_saturn.dll.