LaunchBox Community Forums

Severe lag, please help

killa7977

Well mate, if there was an hardware related issue how come It only happens using launchbox for sometines Just few minutes and sometines after half AN hour? Really, i play intensive CPU and GPU games like Battlefield, for hours and nothing happens. Same with wondershare filmora that Is pretty heavy. Do you really think scrolling a frontend Will out a sistem on his knees due to an hardware failure? I dont think so. BUT, i'm sure that Is something triggered by lauchbox that my PC doesnt like. But i cannot get what It Is. I have tried so many times that im sick and tired. My PC Is okz hardware side, but there Is something else that launchbox, sometines, does not like. 

2 minutes ago, killa7977 said:

Well mate, if there was an hardware related issue how come It only happens using launchbox for sometines Just few minutes and sometines after half AN hour? Really, i play intensive CPU and GPU games like Battlefield, for hours and nothing happens

Well this IS how buggy things on your system would manifest, not every game or program is coded the same way, in fact they are VERY VERY different, so one bad program/driver absolutely can only effect selected programs. For example Launchbox could be the only program on your PC that uses .NET Core, and you have another buggy program that breaks .Net Core, therefore breaking Launchbox. These things are 100% possible, just saying i play games and they work means nothing, you need to actual help here with some actual troubleshooting of your own too, as all i have seen you saying is its a Launchbox issue, but if it was that simple every single person using Launchbox would also be complaining of the same issue, but this obviously is not the case, so the issue does indeed lay elsewhere, we just need to narrow down what that issue is.

I dont get what are you mean mate. If i was having problem with, let's Say wondershare filmora, i Will be on wondershare tech support for help. But the problem in my case Is launchbox. What do you mean saying that? It Is a fact that launchbox Is not working properly on my system.... And i dont know why, It has been weeks that i tru different things and i'm almost done with It. I have posted debug logs, so what Is goin on? Can i have AN official reply or i have to go forward try this and that forever? I dont know nothing about programming, i'm an electrician. I dont't know if It Is net framework or whatever else causing this problema. It Is not my field. I'm 46 yrs old, been on PC since my First 486dx2, and i have never had to surrender to a program that Simply doesnt work well (to me). I dont want to uninstall launchbox because of this problem, neither i want to format my PC for It. Today i Will try a fresh build an see what happen. But still, i dont like this situation

Sometimes it is a combination of software on a users pc affecting other software or even hardware. That Corsair issue did not affect all users. Another one is Nahimic (known to cause LB graphic issues), but not all users were affected. The best we can do is keep chipping away at it.  Just offering things to try that I have seen other users as well as myself do. I am confident if it purely was just a LB software issue our 2 devs would likely be able to replicate it. Sadly the vast ocean of hardware builds with numerous different configurations of loaded software is not easy for a 2 person dev team to problem solve for. 

Seems like your problem isn't launchbox but something else going on in the background. I know it seems like its LB because of how this lag manifests, but it most definelty seems like a problem elsewhere. Launchbox doesn't have that kind of support you are referring to btw, it's not a 50 person team. There is no tech support to fix all your problems while you sit at your desk. In this case if you want your pc to work correctly again your going to need to put in some effort on your end, or as you say, stop using launchbox. Although I will state clearly, with confidence, that it seems like a problem outside of Launchbox. I noticed the bitorrent on the desktop, that can be risky to use on your main rig because its a very easy way to get malware/virus. I'm not telling you not to use it or that you have one, just that its a common way to catch a virus if your not getting clean torrents from reputable places. I would never use it on my main rig, lag like that "could" be caused by malware hiding itself deep inside your OS files and launching when it thinks you wont notice it's taking extra ram/cpu. I would run a thorough malware bytes scan on all your files to make sure you don't have any dirty files. Also did you try reverting back to the version you claimed worked just fine? Did you try a fresh build? Did you check Event Viewer to see if your getting any errors in there? If there is a driver conflict/hardware issue the evidence would show itself in the Event Viewer. I've had a case or two over the many years I've been building pc's and can say for sure that could be a driver conflict/corruption causing that kind of lag. I've also seen that more than once with a faulty RAM stick or CPU. I would run memtest overnight and see if it finds errors. These errors DO in fact manifest in this way, some apps can work fine and others can cause lag if there is file corruption, breaking installs of apps as retro stated, these are all real issues that can happen. If you had a broken .net install, your wondershare or whatever isnt using .net then it would seem to work just fine, then when you launch LB which DOES use .net suddenly the issue arises because it's using a corrupted install. I want to help you, but you are refusing to see the problem may lie outside of launchbox and are choosing to not help in narrowing it down. This is the task of a tech, narrow it down until we have a few options that can be the issue.

Edited by KingSlayer420

6 hours ago, killa7977 said:

Retro 808 so what should i do? Trash everything and forget about lauchbox? 

If that is what you want to do that is your choice. I am just trying to throw some ideas out the see if I can help any. I know you are frustrated, but did you just completely overlook I mentioned the best we can do is keep chipping away at it to find the problem? You had time to make a video of what you said was this issue, but honest that was not needed. No need to see what is happening your description was clear enough. Time would have been better spent at least trying what I mentioned. Did you even try a fresh install on another drive or folder? Better yet, any chance you have another pc or even laptop to try and install on those to see if you still have the same issue. 

I think we are spending way to much discussing and should focus energy more on testing things out. 

I would also recommend shutting off all the other unnecessary crap running (antivirus, torrent software, etc..) and see if anything changes. It is going to come down to a process of elimination.  

• Like 1

Yeah, i Will try a fresh install as soon as possibile and report here. I shoot the video before trying a new launchbox because i thought you should see what Is happening. In the while that im going to work, and replying to the mate above your post, i know that games and many other app are not running net framework and so the problems doesnt occur. But how can i know if the problem with launchbox Is related to net framework? Is there a way to know what Is launchbox Is using so i can re install It? One more thing, i have no viruses, It Is scanning system each week, qbitrorrent in not running in background, only when i launch it. You can see on that task manager. Regarding the fresh launchbox install, i have added since now something about 350 PC games manually. It was a bit of a pain, so my question Is. Is there a way to Mass change the directory launchbox searchs for exes? 

4 hours ago, killa7977 said:

Regarding the fresh launchbox install, i have added since now something about 350 PC games manually. It was a bit of a pain, so my question Is. Is there a way to Mass change the directory launchbox searchs for exes? 

There is, yes. However, first just add LB and then import maybe 2 or 3 games. Then move around in the LB a bit and then boot BB and see if they lag occurs. This may still have the issue but at least you would have tested and confirmed it still happens on a new build from a different drive. If ya get lucky and no issue, maybe something in your old build is corrupt. 

Since last time you reported this issue you found it to be a USB device being plugged in that caused your issue I'd first go into LaunchBox and Big Box and disable the "Enable All Controllers" option and just use a dedicated controller and try that first. LaunchBox may be polling and waking up a device that is otherwise off and causing issues. If you have any software monitors that apply different profiles to your peripherals based on what software is open (most mouse and keyboard support software does this). I'd shut them off and try as well to make sure opening LaunchBox isn't changing a profile that is causing issues. Typically when you see Windows lag like that it's either your CPU getting locked up or the boot disk having read/write issues. LB could be making these worse by writing to the cache and making your drive have to index things after the fact and negatively impacting performance. This gets even worse if using an SSD over 80% utilization. Also in the future when you close LaunchBox process, make sure to go to the "Details" tab in Task Manager and ensure that all LaunchBox processes HAVE indeed closed. If your machine is lagging AFTER LaunchBox processes are closed you have something NOT LaunchBox related going on with your system. A good place to start is to vet your system files by running Command Prompt AS ADMINISTRATOR and running the following command "/sfc scannow" (without quotes) and seeing if it detects anything. Restart your computer after running it. Also ensure your drivers are all up to date. If you have a Razer mouse ensure you have Synapse running as their mouses are known to cause issues similar to what you're describing if the mouse can't communicate with synapse.

ok, i have tried everything you seggested. fresh installation on another drive: first time it started lagging after adding 3 windows games. the i reboot, added 15+ games, no lag. launched big box and it started lagging again.... reboot. tried sfc  scannow command and rebooted pc. launching big box and it starts lag right away. disabled enable controllers both on lb and bb. nothing changes, lags appears at random, i don't know what is triggering it. i have take a look at the details in task manager, i have 2 launchbox process running (is that ok?), but as soon as i close launchbox they disappear, so, i really don't know. my windows nvme has 170gb free out of 512 so it is not above 80%.... big box is on another drive. and i have a revoltec mouse plugged, a merc stealth keyboard and and xbox controller (turned off all the time). i think i have tried everything you suggested me. correct if im wrong. if you have any other ideas aside from formatting windows..... i would like to try one more thing, but i don't know how to do. rolling back to that old version I used for years before updating. but i don't remember what version is it. is there a way to know with wich version i started? and the last one i used before renewing subscription? this would be very helpful. with that version it was everything smooth, and at least if also that version cause lag, i will now for sure that there is something wrong with my windows (don't think is any hardware fault because before messing this evening with LB i watched netflix, played cyberpunk a bit and edited a video with filmora, no lag).

please let me know if some of the admin of the site can spot wich was the last version i updated before renewing my subscription

thanks guys

edited just a quick note, i was writing this after my last try on LB, and pc was still lagging. now that few minutes after i closed LB passed writing this, lag has gone and pc is smooth as usual

2nd edit omg i just found that in updates dir there are all the version of launchbox i used ;) with date too, let's try, finger crossed

Edited by killa7977

Hope it gets ya back to a butter smooth frontend. Something else to look into if it doesn't work out, before you do a re-format be sure to make a backup of the current OS with a disk clone software, plenty of free ones available. You said you played alot of PC games on that rig, the game saves are scattered everywhere in that case. don't want to lose any of those to the reformat. If you dont have space for a disk clone be sure to copy the main locations for game saves (My Documents, AppData Folders). I hope it doesnt come to that though, let us know how it goes.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that if you clone, and a reformat fixes it. Theres a higher chance it was a app/driver conflict or corruption. You can use the clone to go back and try to fix it by removing the offending app/driver and keep all your data intact. Might take a while, but I have no idea how much data you have or if it's even important enough to you to weed through and find it. Just trying to help.

Edited by KingSlayer420

UPDATE (kinda of fun and sad at the same time) 

Rolled back to launchbox 8.2 that was the one used before renweing and updating After years, It was 2018 if i am correct, but not sure. Guest what? Messed aroun for AN hour trying to make evey weird thing that comes into my mind, scrolling fast, changing themes, opening multiple Chrome Tab. Well, Guess what? Everything Is smooth like i Remember. Video incoming.... Now, what the hell Is going on? Any of you could try to explain? So, now im locked with the old version (that has a couple of irritating bugs)?