LaunchBox Community Forums

Big Box Marquee Video Stuttering Issue

izzishor

Yea, I've been having issues with video marquees and theme videos for a while now, haven't been active about it, because I don't usually complain, however it's been getting harder and harder to have a smooth experience.

To temporary fix it, I've updated the VLC (just downloaded latest x64 VLC from here Index of /pub/videolan/vlc/last/win64/ and copied over the older VLC in thirdparty/VLC folder)
And it seems to work a bit better and faster (hopefully it isn't placebo), but with every update the folder gets replaced and it runs worse again so I have to re-replace it, I have now set it to read only, hoping it will keep the updated VLC.

I'm really hoping a bit more effort will go into managing image loading and videos in the next updates ❤️

Otherwise I just love launchbox and couldn't have a home arcade without it :D

Edited by izzishor
Grammar

18 minutes ago, izzishor said:

Yea, I've been having issues with video marquees and theme videos for a while now, haven't been active about it, because I don't usually complain, however it's been getting harder and harder to have a smooth experience.

To temporary fix it, I've updated the VLC (just downloaded latest x64 VLC and copied over the older VLC in thirdparty/VLC folder) and it works a bit better and faster, but with every update the folder gets replaced.

I'm really hoping a bit more effort will go into managing image loading and videos in the next updates

Otherwise I just love launchbox and couldn't have a home arcade without it :D

Maybe let us know what the issue is you are having or provide a video of what is going on. We have not seen many users provide any feedback on marquee issues. It's going to be hard for the devs to fix issues or maybe refine the program without details. I have been using them since they were implemented many moons ago even with custom marquee theme views and do not currently see any hiccups. The ones that I did see were eventually resolved.

• Thanks 1

I run BigBox video marquees and theme videos for almost all my games (will also release more than 1k of my marquee videos for the community, just a bit more to do) 

Main issue Is that sometimes I have slow and laggy video loading, sometimes it loads a different video because it seems like 'it lost track of what game was selected' and needs a few seconds to recover and play the video for the current game, freezing the whole bigbox for a few seconds sometimes and then playing the marquee and theme videos.

What I did to try and fix it: 

-Changed everything related to images and videos in options (VLC, MPC, Lower res images, Higher res images, you name it, I've touched it and tested it)

-Cleared all caches,

-Optimized all the files from my media folders and cleaned them up

-Defragged the 2TB HDD

-Upgraded to a 2TB SSD thinking it will solve it, it did not

-Upgraded GPU to a RX580 8GB

-Upgraded my CPU to a i7 3770K

-Added more ram to 16GB of DDR3,

-Optimized and debloated windows (win10 with to day updates)

The only thing that seems to work is updating VLC in the thirdparty folder and it works okish untill the next update.

I have gone trough all troubleshooting steps on the forums in regards to speeding up bigbox, seems to work great for a while, then it just bogs down so to speak.

@izzishor Looks like you are using a custom marquee view xaml. Could be the way the code for that view was written. "Selected Game" binding versus "Active Game" binding can have a delayed affect difference. I am not hugely experienced in coding but as I learn and read feedback from some of our devs and better coding knowledge users a theme can be poorly optimized in its coding and create these types of lags. 

If you use the default theme and the default marquee set-up do you see any hiccups/lags? 

Thank you for the troubleshooting help,

That's what I tried first, thinking it has something to do with the custom themes.
I've tried it with all themes including the default one as well as without any marquee plugin.

Right now I'm running Pulse as a theme and the "Third Screen Plugin" because I'm planning to add a 3rd 'poster monitor'

Edited by izzishor
Added a link

@izzishor Ah...I do not use that plug-in and have never tested it out. Maybe I will give it a test. The custom views I use for marquee videos and animation affects are all standard line by line coding.

I would suggest asking about the issues you are seeing in that plug-in creator's support thread as well. I am doubtful our devs have used that plug-in and troubleshoot it against their LB development. 

• Like 1

It does the same with or without the plugin, it's a fairly recent plugin, but i've been having this issue on 3 systems so far, for about 2-3 years, I just thought it's how it is when you have a huge DB of games, now I'm shocked to find that everyone runs it smooth as butter, lmao :))

I'll keep researching it on my end and see what's going on in more depth.

My suggestion would be to update the VLC in the Launchbox installer to the latest one so everyone can use, it should without a hitch, vlc included with launchbox is 3.17 and latest is 3.18 I believe