LaunchBox Community Forums

Xemu launching games with audio but black screen

LatersHaters2

Hey guys, so a few months ago i decided to buy the bigbox subscription. I've been trying to play some xbox games with xemu and some games won't work. The issue is the game will load, the sounds are all there, the game will respond to inputs but the screen will be black except for the toolbar for xemu at the top. Itll load the start up screen for xbox but that's it. The game I mainly want to play is need for speed most wanted 2005. I don't know which other games don't work but other people in my house have tried a few others and have had varied results with some working fine and others having the above problem. The computers running Microsoft Windows 10 pro with Intel corei7. Thanks to anyone who takes the time to read and to anyone who responds. Cheers!

10 minutes ago, C-Beats said:

I'd check the emulators compatibility page, it sounds like that game may just not run on that emulator. Xbox emulation is still in VERY early stages and isn't near as stable as other platforms so issues SHOULD be expected.

Thanks for the response! I'll definitely have a look into the compatibility list. That sounds as tho it's the most probable reason. I know its still in early stages so I expected that there may be some issues with stability but thought that maybe it was a setting or something along those lines that hasn't been setup properly on my end. I'll have to see if it isnt compatible yet, that if maybe it'll run on a different platform like ps2 or pc or something. Regardless tho, thanks for the tip!

New emulators tend to be pretty picky when it comes to what GPU you are using as well. Some emulators play better with Nvidia than AMD for example. I'm not sure if that emulator has that quirk or not but would be another thing to potentially look into.

30 minutes ago, LatersHaters2 said:

Thanks for the response! I'll definitely have a look into the compatibility list. That sounds as tho it's the most probable reason. I know its still in early stages so I expected that there may be some issues with stability but thought that maybe it was a setting or something along those lines that hasn't been setup properly on my end. I'll have to see if it isnt compatible yet, that if maybe it'll run on a different platform like ps2 or pc or something. Regardless tho, thanks for the tip!

You might want to check the compatibility list on Xemu's official website (link below). "Need for Speed Most Wanted" is marked as "Playable" by the way. A rather impressive 83% of the catalog is playable with Xemu, however it does require a fairly fast CPU and decent GPU from what I've experienced and heard as well. 

https://xemu.app/#compatibility