LaunchBox Community Forums

There a reason we can't scrape from IGDB.com???

Sprinklezonk

I love Launchbox, but I am pretty disappointed in the scraper. I am trying to make a Virtual Reality platform (I have hundreds of games) and there are SOO many games that lack the media and information in the Games DB for Launchbox. Steam and especially igdb.com have almost all of the ones I am looking for. Is there any way to scrape from there? Any help would be appreciated.

Yes, I know I can add them myself, but that takes a lot of time (and I have done many in the past as well as approved and curated hundreds of others).

I would guess that at least half of the 338 VR games I have, half of them scrape wrong, or are not in the database. Even popular titles like, Same & Max: This Time It's Virtual! are not in the DB at all?!? That seems crazy and highly inconvenient to me.

Edited by Sprinklezonk
  • Like 1

I've never heard of IGDB, but this sounds like a great addition to improve game data in Launchbox!

I see they have an API https://api-docs.igdb.com/#getting-started Maybe it could be added to the import step like EmuMovies, or a plug-in that can be run, or even directly importing into the LaunchBox DB? I guess to keep it non-commercial, the plugin idea might be best, where people could set up their own API?

On 7/15/2023 at 2:58 PM, Sprinklezonk said:

I love Launchbox, but I am pretty disappointed in the scraper. I am trying to make a Virtual Reality platform (I have hundreds of games) and there are SOO many games that lack the media and information in the Games DB for Launchbox. Steam and especially igdb.com have almost all of the ones I am looking for. Is there any way to scrape from there? Any help would be appreciated.

Yes, I know I can add them myself, but that takes a lot of time (and I have done many in the past as well as approved and curated hundreds of others).

I would guess that at least half of the 338 VR games I have, half of them scrape wrong, or are not in the database. Even popular titles like, Same & Max: This Time It's Virtual! are not in the DB at all?!? That seems crazy and highly inconvenient to me.

Am not sure if this will ever be a thing. It is a good idea. I am all for ease-of-use.
But, in the meantime....

If there is a way you could get together a list of all the games you have that are missing?
Ill gladly get to work on adding them to the DB. If we don't add them they wont be in there. 

Edited by JereBear
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

I came back to launchbox recently (have a legacy premium license) and was disappointed by the game metadata. Specifically, I assumed launchbox would be able to tell me if a game has controller support. If this information isn't available from steam or other platforms api (which would be strange because I see "portable" information is imported) then IGDB would provide it along with a wealth of other helpful info. +1 for this suggestion!

51 minutes ago, hob said:

I came back to launchbox recently (have a legacy premium license) and was disappointed by the game metadata. Specifically, I assumed launchbox would be able to tell me if a game has controller support. If this information isn't available from steam or other platforms api (which would be strange because I see "portable" information is imported) then IGDB would provide it along with a wealth of other helpful info. +1 for this suggestion!

I'd be curious to know what version you are running that you DON'T see controller metadata as we have it for most platforms. Also we DON'T ever check the "portable" box so something isn't quite adding up.

1 hour ago, C-Beats said:

I'd be curious to know what version you are running that you DON'T see controller metadata as we have it for most platforms. Also we DON'T ever check the "portable" box so something isn't quite adding up.

image.thumb.png.f9175c40e646f19ad632403d292f8ede.pngimage.thumb.png.9112638516cc02a2b628bf299a276231.png

Thanks for the reply. Hmm something must be wrong. Here is what I'm seeing in my launchbox. My steam profile is private if that matters. Also, although I have a legacy premium account it is expired so I am on the free version for now until I decide to upgrade to a lifetime one.

Edited by hob