LaunchBox Community Forums

Additional Apps vs Additional Docs

Special T

For Star Fox 2 on the SNES, Nintendo created a website that serves as the games manual. I saved the website as a chm file so it can be viewed offline. 

I'd like the file to show up in the "Media -> Additional Docs" section but when I add the chm file as an additional app it will show up under "Additional Apps -> chm file".

I tried creating a bat file to launch the chm but the bat file also shows up under "Additional Apps -> bat file".

Is there a way to choose where the file shows up i.e. "Media -> Additional Docs" instead of "Additional Apps"?

Star Fox 2 (Official Manual).chm

Edited by Special T

I do not believe you can manually set a chm file to show there. You might be able to drop it in the Manuals folder. That's the exact same manual that can be downloaded from within LB that gets placed in the \Manuals\Super Nintendo Entertainment System folder and shows up in >Media when you right click the game. 

Thank you for the quick response and for the suggestion.

The pdf is not as good as the chm file because the chm file includes animations for example the first page and the characters page.

Also the pdf cuts a few things out (see included screenshot) #6 is missing which is the L button.

image.thumb.png.720df4f049a1656488679ec68be0c48c.png

LB will open the chm file but you either have to have it shows as an "Additional App" or just drop it in your SNES manuals folder and name it exactly as the game is named "Star Fox 2.chm" and it will show up in the display manual submenu.  

If it were a pdf you could add it as an additional app and LB would then show it in the "Additional Documents" menu. I do not believe the additional documents supports other file formats.  

Screenshot 2023-08-08 at 8.33.48 PM.png

For wondering how to manually put a file into Media > Additional Documents

Looks like you just need to have those files be PDF format? I have for instance a couple PDFs for GTA2, the game manual, and the game map. I've named them both as I see fit, for ex "Grand Theft Auto 2 - Game Map.pdf" and added them as an additional app. They end up being a selection in Additional Documents though and do NOT actually show up under Additional Applications. Their name can be whatever you want file name wise since it's manually being linked up. Their name displayed in the menu is what you use for their "Application Name" in the additional app window. I think this because if I were to change the extension of these PDF files to anything but PDF, the file ends up in the Additional Application menu rather than the Additional Document menu. So seems like LB says "hey a PDF....you go over here instead" and then other file types go to Additional Applications

I also made a third file which is just a 2nd copy of the GTA2 Manual PDF. This one I name accordingly being the game's title since that is normal link that LB looks for. Like what Retro has mentioned, doing it like this will make the doc designated as the game's manual and can be easily accessed with a hotkey. You can still access the other additional docs from LB/BB Pause Screen if you have that enabled.

image.thumb.png.9533615570b9ff7caf3ac1cb56aee2ce.png

image.thumb.png.69462afe96801c88008989a77cd0960d.png

image.thumb.png.16a9a0ef94b232c6bb6fbd8208216a4b.png

image.thumb.png.f1546c55bf322bcc33ffaf07368b9b7e.png

• Like 1

3 hours ago, C-Beats said:

As of right now we look at the file extension of the additional applications application path to determine if the app is a "document" or not. As eluded chm hasn't been added to the list of extensions for that to occur with.

Thank you for the explanation. To clarify for me, is PDF the only file extension currently treated as a document or are there others? If so, I'm wondering what other file extensions are treated like a document?

47 minutes ago, skizzosjt said:

Thank you for the explanation. To clarify for me, is PDF the only file extension currently treated as a document or are there others? If so, I'm wondering what other file extensions are treated like a document?

We have quite a few extensions it's based on. Most of the extensions are file extensions for image, document, web page, and digital comic file types.