LaunchBox Community Forums

Error on launch after the latest 13.9 Update

Gryzor1363

Hello everyone,

happy LB user for almost a year now, and ever since the latest update that I downloaded and installed a couple minutes ago, I sadly can't launch LB anymore.
Error pops as follows : 

image.thumb.png.4e8e99b36ec9691e7886de4debf75816.png

Any help would be greatly appreciated... thanks in advance.

PS : if that's of any value, I'm still using Windows 7 , 64 Bit edition. I felt the need to share that information as the error seems Chrome related, and as such attracted my attention, as I know that legacy OS has stopped receiving Chrome updates since January this year.

Cheers,

-G

Edited by Gryzor1363

Are you running a virus scanner? New installs tend to trip some because there aren't a high level of installs yet. The CEF files tend to trip overzealous AV files. I'd temp disable AV and then run the installer again (will be in your updates folder) over the top (make sure you aren't installing to \\LaunchBox\LaunchBox) and then see if it opens then.

Hi C-Beats,

and thanks for the quick reply.
Indeed I found older topics related to this kind of errors and I cut Avast entirely and tried again. Yet, still no luck and the same error pops upon launch :( 

PS : Sorry my bad, Hadn't read I should INSTALL again. Time to learn how to read properly.
I'll do that and come back here.

Edited by Gryzor1363

Ok I followed your instructions, turned off every single Avast agent during reinstall of 13.9 : exact same error... I really wonder what is suddenly so broken in my system for the software to launch...

Reverting to 13.8 makes LB usable again, which gives credence to some of the latest Chromium libraries being incompatible with win 7 maybe ? I might well be completely off believing that of course, still, I can't help but to notice the "culprit" behind the crash on 13.9 being related to the integrated Chromium client here.
I'll try on a Win 10 platform this weekend anyhow and provide update here.

Edited by Gryzor1363

Tried again by principle, no luck... Anybody else experiencing this ? I found online that installing the latest C++ Redistributable runtime sometimes solved similar errors in other software using the same library, but in my case, it did not either.

Thanks again for ideas.

Edited by Gryzor1363

On 12/15/2023 at 8:00 PM, Gryzor1363 said:

Tried again by principle, no luck... Anybody else experiencing this ? I found online that installing the latest C++ Redistributable runtime sometimes solved similar errors in other software using the same library, but in my case, it did not either.

Thanks again for ideas.

I have the same problem, and an other user too on another thread on the forum, it seems to be due to Windows 7 (64 Bit). Here's hoping the LB/BB team have a fix coming for us people.

Thanks for the update @vince16. I am due to move on to Win 10 soon anyways, but if LB can confirmed this is a OS-specific issue and can provide a workaround for my current install that I intend to keep separately in the future, that would be great, but this is clearly not their responsibility to do so for an obsolete OS imho. 

I beg to differ, It kinda is, in mine, considering among the people who purchase the lifelong license I'm sure there are quite a few who are still on Windows 7. Gotta love the irony that a software that aims to make your collection of old arcade, adventure & console games from the 70s, 80s & 90s look good and all gathered in one place would require absolutely the latest Windows OS and not the one that came out in 2010 and is just what, a little over a decade old.

Plus, come on, as stated by the guys behind LB/BB, it's to "beautify" your games collection. It's hardly NASA tech you're gonna need in there...

Edited by vince16

7 hours ago, vince16 said:

I beg to differ, It kinda is, in mine, considering among the people who purchase the lifelong license I'm sure there are quite a few who are still on Windows 7. Gotta love the irony that a software that aims to make your collection of old arcade, adventure & console games from the 70s, 80s & 90s look good and all gathered in one place would require absolutely the latest Windows OS and not the one that came out in 2010 and is just what, a little over a decade old.

Plus, come on, as stated by the guys behind LB/BB, it's to "beautify" your games collection. It's hardly NASA tech you're gonna need in there...

I understand and adhere to your point. I was speaking assuming one uses the free licence without access  to Big Box, let alone a lifetime licence. On a finished product that I pay for, things might indeed be different in my mind as well, if there is a technical possibility to go around that limitation to begin with (which I am bent on believing true, like you, although I'm not a dev let alone at the discretion of LB's code dependencies).

Nvidia for instance counts among the few big companies still offering Windows 7 64 bit support on their list of compatible OSes to this day for their cloud gaming client Geforce Now, without any announcement hinting at an impending end to it, as customers using outdated hardware with most likely partly obsolete software is often the very reason why they are willing to pay a monthly fee to access to completely up to date remote virtual machines rather than relying on their physical computer, so suddenly cutting them off would not bode well for the provider.

Similarly to the above, LB is often meant to be deployed on a standalone , dedicated machine used for retro alone hence without too steep requirement in terms of processing power, one can assume the same goes for the OS modernity, your points are absolutely valid in my view.

Then again, I personally wouldn't venture too far without having even a clue on the code and technical implications related to the latest update or at all, so I would wait to possible workarounds and fixed kindly provided in due time by the dev team, that I use the opportunity of this post to thank again for the great work.

Edited by Gryzor1363