LaunchBox Community Forums

Is launchbox "portable"

DaveC1964

I want to know if I can set up LB on my desktop and then move the launchbox folder to the offline arcade PC easily.  Does LB "spray" misc files all over the installed PC directories  hidden from me when I move the folder?  Or are the files self contained in the LB folder?

58 minutes ago, DaveC1964 said:

I want to know if I can set up LB on my desktop and then move the launchbox folder to the offline arcade PC easily.  Does LB "spray" misc files all over the installed PC directories  hidden from me when I move the folder?  Or are the files self contained in the LB folder?

Yes, it is portable if you have the base files needed to run LB. Otherwise you have to run the installer one time on the new PC setup.   However, each specific emulator will vary on their ability to be portable.

1 hour ago, sundogak said:

Yes, it is portable if you have the base files needed to run LB. Otherwise you have to run the installer one time on the new PC setup.   However, each specific emulator will vary on their ability to be portable.

Ok where are these base files located?  Are they all in the LB directory or in various different places on the PC?

34 minutes ago, DaveC1964 said:

Ok where are these base files located?  Are they all in the LB directory or in various different places on the PC?

DirectX SDK, and depending on Windows version NET library components LB runs on top of.  Simplistically, rerun the installer and point to same path as original setup, any settings specific will not be overwritten but any missing base files will be installed.

I have not seen LB files in other places apart from the directory I installed it to. However, your standalone emulators would normally put system files in the %appdata% directory. This is why I also make sure my emulators are in portable mode as well.

• 1 month later...

So is it possible to just do the install on a portable HDD and then just move it to a new computer? I mean install it from the EXE and add all the ROM's unplug from main computer and take it to another. I dont can't install it on my bros computer(it is a work computer) but it is allow to run programs from a USB.

26 minutes ago, Dyamic Disassembly said:

So is it possible to just do the install on a portable HDD and then just move it to a new computer? I mean install it from the EXE and add all the ROM's unplug from main computer and take it to another. I dont can't install it on my bros computer(it is a work computer) but it is allow to run programs from a USB.

yeah, the app is portable. As long as the copy/paste doesn't break the relative pathing it'll work just fine.

• Thanks 1