LaunchBox Community Forums

Adding overlays for every game at once instead of when I load them? (Retroarch)

PedgeJameson

16 minutes ago, PedgeJameson said:

Is this possible?

yes. goggle the bezel project. it can download the media needed and create all the proper config files. in other words, automates the tremendously tedious process of doing it all manually. Retroarch has no setting to do this so you need to use some 3rd party tool as a result

oh I forget that I always download bezel project from their github. but it is also incorporated into LaunchBox, though I haven't ever tried using it that way. Comes up as one of the steps in the import wizard, so you just make your selections there. doesn't matter which method, download from github or use the incorporated method, they both would give the same result.

Posted (edited)

I downloaded the Bezel project in Launchbox, but I have to always do it manually for each game in retroarch.

Also, when I manually add them, they don't stay, and I have to set them all over again.

Edited by PedgeJameson

then try this. open Retroarch. do not run a game. go into where the overlay options are (Settings > User Interface > On-Screen Display > On-Screen Overlay), turn them ON, and then go save your main Retroarch config. I found that the bezel project turns overlays OFF after it is ran

1 hour ago, PedgeJameson said:

Also, when I manually add them, they don't stay, and I have to set them all over again.

you need to save your changes

37 minutes ago, PedgeJameson said:

That path you gave me was not right, but I found it. TY

it is correct. Retroarch changed it at some point though so you're on an different version is all. You must have a version that uses Settings > On-Screen Display > On-Screen Overlay.

that was the whole problem correct? that you had overlays off? overlays should automatically load up now with games that have them as long as overlays are turned on in your default config.

37 minutes ago, PedgeJameson said:

And what changes for game overlays do I need to save?

that comment was me trying to say unless you're using the "save on exit" option (not recommend from me, personally I turn that OFF because you will at some point accidentally save a setting you didn't want to change) then anytime you make any changes you need to save them before exiting. but at this point you shouldn't need to make any saves or changes as the bezel project would have created all the proper config files and overrides etc. essentially I was saying if you selected the specific config to have the game overlay display, you would have needed to save an override so it automatically loads on future boots of that game. otherwise as you already know you would need redo it every boot.

Just figured that I would mention this specifically if you are using the stand alone Bezel Project as I ran into this a lot... When you download and "install" the bezel packs, It does properly assign the bezels and sets them up properly but most of the time it disables the overlays system wide. To fix it just open RetroArch by itself (with no rom loaded) and go to settings/display/overlay and just enable overlays again and then just save the default configuration. All the paths to the bezels that Bezel Project downloaded are still set up and work fine.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Retro_Rage said:

Just figured that I would mention this specifically if you are using the stand alone Bezel Project as I ran into this a lot... When you download and "install" the bezel packs, It does properly assign the bezels and sets them up properly but most of the time it disables the overlays system wide. To fix it just open RetroArch by itself (with no rom loaded) and go to settings/display/overlay and just enable overlays again and then just save the default configuration. All the paths to the bezels that Bezel Project downloaded are still set up and work fine.

Thanks for posting this solution so others can benefit.

I only recently started receiving comments the Bezel Project App was turning off overlays. I knew it didn't originally do this, so I was baffled what could be doing this. It took a deep dive through my source history and versions of Retroarch to figure it out. Initially, I had to make several assumptions about Retroarch and its configuration parameters. Everything was fine until relatively recently. As the Retroarch devs are wont to do, they changed and added many overlay-related settings. The fix is simple, but I'm in the middle of refactoring all my code, so not sure when a new version of the Bezel Project app can be posted, but I'm aware now, and a fix it in the pipe, so to speak.

Thanks again.

• Thanks 1

On 6/17/2024 at 9:35 AM, Retro_Rage said:

Can you give me a simple rundown on where to grab install these files, how to set them up? These things come had to me.

Thank you so much in advance!!!!

26 minutes ago, PedgeJameson said:

Can you give me a simple rundown on where to grab install these files, how to set them up? These things come had to me.

Thank you so much in advance!!!!

Well the bezel project is actually included by default in Launchbox. It's the pretty borders that can cover the black bars on the sides when you play a game. When your importing games in Launchbox, one of the last screens ask you if you want to download bezels. What he was refering to here is if you manually install bezel project, you can download the windows installer from https://github.com/thebezelproject/ and follow directions in the app. Like I said above though it might disable system wide bezels so you would just have to re-enable them. 

7 hours ago, PedgeJameson said:

IM stuck at "Please select an option from the select list".

What does that even mean?

Thanks.

Could you please post a pic showing this text string and explain what you are attempting to do?

You seem to be missing a screenshot that would be displayed after selecting the OK button on the first screen. I am also assuming you have already installed a bezel pack? If so, you don't need to enable it as that is done automatically during the initial install. If you have installed a bezel pack, then later disabled it using option 3, then the missing screen shot should have shown all the installed bezel packs and their current status. If you don't select which bezel pack to enable, then you will get the popup shown in the popup with the red X on it.

Can you show the missing screen so I can further diagnose the status of your bezel installations?

9 hours ago, PedgeJameson said:

Is there a video for this? Because this is acting really weird.

Seems all the videos are for pie.

Easiest way I would think is to use the option within the LB game import menu to let it download and set-up Bezel Project. I do not use bezels and never messed with it.

But a quick Youtube search found this person's tutorial from about 4 months ago and it was easy to follow. 

This is doing bezel project direct from their download and not from within the LB set-up options. 

The Bezel Project app from the Github site does not interact with the Launchbox ability to install the same bezels. They are two ways of accomplishing the same thing. If you are a user of Launchbox, it is best to use its built-in logic to install the bezels. The separate app was written first and is intended to help others who use different front-ends to install the bezel packs into their installation of Retroarch.

Since you never really answered my questions, I can't help much beyond this point. The overall sequence of using the app is to install it, configure the paths and preferences, select option 1, select which installation method to use, ie, native MAME, Retroarch, Rocketlauncher, then select which bezel packs to install on the subsequent screen by clicking on the system names presented in the combo box list. Option 2 and 3 are for advanced users and normally aren't used in normal operation, but are provided as an assist if you want to disable, then enable a bezel pack later, for whatever reason.

I hope the video you found has helped you out. If you have any further questions, please be specific in your questions providing what you want to do and for what system.

• Like 1