LaunchBox Community Forums

Retroarch won't open from Launchbox (yet another thread)

Go to solution Solved by Lord Bobbymort,

What shader type do you have setup in RA ? Is it a vulkan supported shader or is it a GL shader ?
If it's a GL shader then that is likely the cause of the issue since you appear to be using the Vulkan display driver. When loading RA via command line you need to have a shader selected that is compatible with the video driver being used. This isn't an issue when just loading up RA and loading a game.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Lordmonkus said:

What shader type do you have setup in RA ? Is it a vulkan supported shader or is it a GL shader ?
If it's a GL shader then that is likely the cause of the issue since you appear to be using the Vulkan display driver. When loading RA via command line you need to have a shader selected that is compatible with the video driver being used. This isn't an issue when just loading up RA and loading a game.

Nothing has changed in my setup in RetroArch since last time successfully running anything about a month ago. If I remember correctly I set the driver to something within the RetroArch UI and then RetroArch would not even allow one or the other types of shaders, only showing what was compatible when I navigated into those folders. So in one core with one driver only shader files in the slangp folder would even show up, and another only glsl would show up.

I can only open RetroArch standalone, not through RetroArch, so I have to load a core, and then it doesn't act like it has any shaders set. I get to the quick menu after loading a core and Shaders are just set to Off. And when I turn Shaders on from that point there are no parameters set.

I reinstalled RetroArch (after making a copy of my config folder, retroarch.cfg, and retroarch.default) through LaunchBox and it opened the rom when launched through RetroArch. I replaced the config folder and retroarch.cfg and retroarch.cfg.default files with the backup and it goes back to not loading. Hahaha as I was trying to reisntall RetroArch again Launchbox updated to 13.15. 

On a fresh install of RetroArch I've opened it from Launchbox and added config files from my backup one at a time. I think I've boiled it down to the core-named config files within the config>core folders - so that would be mesen.cfg inside config > mesen. When I add my backed up mesen config to the new install it won't load.

I then started started taking out lines of mesen.cfg and the one that got it running was taking out "video_driver = "vulkan". This seems odd as the the shader files I used were slangp and I have a mesen.slangp file in the backed up config folder. For some reason trying to load using vulkan at all isn't working. I tried one more time, instead of editing mesen.cfg in notepad editing it in RetroArch UI and saving the core overrides file in RetroArch UI - I changed the driver from gl to d3d11 and it opened (and loaded the slangp shaders), then changed the override file back to vulkan and it won't load.

EDIT: Sorry for all the hassle to everyone who's been helping as it seems like a RetroArch issue with my hardware. I am running this on a Beelink SER5 with the AMD Ryzen 5800h. AMD Graphics drivers are up to date. Also, if run RetroArch standalone and change the video driver, save that config and try to relaunch RetroArch it will not open.

Edited by Lord Bobbymort

• Solution

EDIT EDIT: I GOT IT! After going through all these motions and boiling it all down to something else, maybe specific to my hardware, I did some more googling, specifically "AMD 5800h Retroarch will not launch using vulkan", and I came across this reddit thread: https://www.reddit.com/r/AMDHelp/comments/1aelvdm/mini_pc_ryzen_7_5800h_vulkan_suddenly_not_working/. The solution was going to Windows Settings and the Applications menu and uninstalling the application "OpenCL™, OpenGL®, and Vulkan® Compatibility Pack". As soon as I uninstalled that application RetroArch launched just fine with configs set for vulkan as the video driver.

On 7/1/2024 at 2:38 PM, NP88 said:

Hey there, I hope someone can figure out your problem as I am in the exact same situation as you are. 

Hey, check out what I just found that fixed my issue, maybe it will fix yours. Just see my latest post above.

48 minutes ago, rexryan said:

Nice...The Log helped Lordmonkus who is a pro nail it down with the Vulkan part....

LOL  I wish I could take credit for it. I only guessed at that and shaders because I have seen that issue before which is not what the issue was.

• Like 1

Just now, Lord Bobbymort said:

You left the right breadcrumbs, and for that I am forever grateful. May the sun shine upon you, fellow royalty @Lordmonkus

It's all in jest. However, Monkus truly does have way more knowledge than me. I am just a dude who likes to tinker and tries to help. 

• Like 1

I mean I almost gave up trying to get a log from RetroArch, but I figured it was important enough. And even after futzing around for at least half an hour with something that seemed like it wasn't going to work to get the log, it dumped an output that all seemed above board from my eye. So then just the mention of Vulkan (at least after exhausting all other options) it pointed me in the right direction.

12 hours ago, Lord Bobbymort said:

Hey, check out what I just found that fixed my issue, maybe it will fix yours. Just see my latest post above.

Thanks for letting me know.  I will try it tonight and hope that this is the fix that I need.  My only cautions are that I can launch a rom successfully in RA, but not in lunchbox.  ALso I am using a Nvidia graphics card, but none the less I am going to try this solution and hope for the best.  Thanks again!

7 minutes ago, NP88 said:

Thanks for letting me know.  I will try it tonight and hope that this is the fix that I need.  My only cautions are that I can launch a rom successfully in RA, but not in lunchbox.  ALso I am using a Nvidia graphics card, but none the less I am going to try this solution and hope for the best.  Thanks again!

Ok yeah I forgot about that part with your issue. The biggest part of my problem was that I didn't want all the configuration of my shaders to be deleted if I re-installed or updated RetroArch, but it wasn't that bad. If you go to the folder location where you have RetroArch installed you can copy the config folder which has all the configs for your retroarch cores and games as a backup. Then when you update or re-install RetroArch you can just replace that folder with your backup. You might need to just ensure that you download all the media for your ROMs/platforms again, especially if you use the bezels.