LaunchBox Community Forums

Simple Detailed Startup 1.0.6

(0 reviews)

8 Screenshots

About This File

Hello all, here is my first contribution to this community. I have enjoyed so many countless hours of fun as a result of Launchbox and everyone here and I have always wanted to give back so here you go. I made this originally after being inspired by @Palada. He made a Beautiful startup theme to go with my new favorite BigBox theme by @viking, called Colorful. At first I just wanted to add more platforms but you know how it goes. I went a little crazy. Anyway I hope you all like and enjoy this theme.

Versions:

1. Simple-Detailed-Startup-ml.zip - This one Uses Platform Logos from a folder in this theme that were made by ME.
  2. Simple-Detailed-Startup-yl.zip - This one uses Platform Logos that were set up by YOU in Launchbox.

I am using assets from both @Palada and @viking  and of course all over this community. Please give credit to both for making this possible. Once i got going though I ended up with very little that I did not make on my own. I am not sure of the proper way to give credit, but if anyone has an issue with anything I have posted, let me know and I will take it down immediately.

This was designed for a 1080p big screen TV. That is where my set up is and all my kids play on it. I tried this on my laptop and it all looked good but if you have any issues with layout or other please let me know. I will do my best to fix it.

IMPORTANT: Please make sure your Launchbox image priorities are set or no images will appear and the theme will look boring. I recommend setting:

• Background Priorities to: Fanart-Background and Screenshot-Gameplay in that order
  • Screenshot Priorities to : Screenshot-Gameplay and then what ever you want after that.

What Is It?

• OK, this is a startup and shutdown theme that is unique for every platform. It includes a controller silhouette, game art game details on startup plus it has an animated GIF loading icon as well as a GIF closing icon.
  • Every platform has its logo displayed. I had to make all of these so that they would fit. This means that some may be missing, but there is currently 77 platform logos and I plan to add more as time goes on.
  • The controller silhouettes are also all custom and may be missing a few but it has 77 currently as well. (some are the same for multiple platforms)
  • It also has a favorite icon in the bottom right corner that will be red if your game is Favorited.

How to use it:

• This is my first upload, but you should be able to unzip it to your Launchbox Startup Themes Directory and Then select it from within BigBox.
  • Please make sure that all of the *.xaml files in the root of this addon match EXACTLY to your platform names or they will not work. FIXED

If you have any requests or problems please drop me a comment, I will do my best to stay on top of it.

I hope I am not forgetting anything, Please enjoy and thank you all for the many years of fun. Keep on Gaming!

PS: I have also made a Pause Theme to match and complete the whole setup. (this is a remake of PausePie by @faeran)

What's New in Version 1.0.6   See changelog

Released

Added 2 new platforms:

• Commordore 64
  • Sega Mark III

Also updated some of the controller images and made some more little tweaks here and there to improve the overall look and flow.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1
  • Game On 1

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

Nice one @cemfundog!
Only things i'd suggest for you to change is to adjust the padding for the game logo, and to show them on a white background instead of the green one. Maybe keep only the game image on the box and move the logos on top of the right row.

45 minutes ago, Palada said:

Nice one @cemfundog!
Only things i'd suggest for you to change is to adjust the padding for the game logo, and to show them on a white background instead of the green one. Maybe keep only the game image on the box and move the logos on top of the right row.

Thank you for the comment and yes the padding needed to be fixed. I have uploaded a new version with that corrected. Not sure about moving the logo but I can see what you mean. The green makes it harder to see. I will seriously consider it, and again thank you @Palada!

I see what Palada says about the green coloring; it feels awkward as a background color for clear logos that are not black and white.

Thinking out loud, you could use the same format as you did in the rest of the game data for the clear logos (white bg and a green square on its side with an image according to the field; for example a ROM chip?). Nevertheless, great work done in this file as well! Keep it up :)

Edited by Kondorito

Nice to see a new startup theme, and it's really cool! One thing I've noticed so far is that none of the themes are really taking advantage of all of the metadata information available... For example, I modified GridBlocked's theme to also display "Play Count" and the "Last Played" date. I find these really useful when loading up a game, I was just curious if I'm the only one that cares to see that info... or if it's not well-known yet that it's an option. But anyway, good job with the theme!

Thank you For the comment. And, I agree, it would be nice to see more use of the data. In my case I just wanted to keep it clean but I bet we will be seeing far more options soon.

14 minutes ago, Ba6yhulk said:

I love this, but I think the latest version is missing a default startup theme.

Your right, it is missing a default for startup. I did not make one because I intended to use this as platform specific only but now that you point it out I realize, I should have included one. Thanks for the comment and I will upload a new one shortly. Happy Gaming!

3 hours ago, cemfundog said:

Your right, it is missing a default for startup. I did not make one because I intended to use this as platform specific only but now that you point it out I realize, I should have included one. Thanks for the comment and I will upload a new one shortly. Happy Gaming!

Sounds great! Is there a way to code the theme to display the controller images based on the platform dynamically? That way, there would only be a need for one default xaml. I was able to tweak my own default. Xaml to pull the platform clear logos from the launchbox directory, but I'm having a hard time figuring out how to get it to select a controller image. If you coded it like that, all you would have to do to update the theme is add new images for controllers.

Edited by Ba6yhulk

16 hours ago, Ba6yhulk said:

Sounds great! Is there a way to code the theme to display the controller images based on the platform dynamically? That way, there would only be a need for one default xaml. I was able to tweak my own default. Xaml to pull the platform clear logos from the launchbox directory, but I'm having a hard time figuring out how to get it to select a controller image. If you coded it like that, all you would have to do to update the theme is add new images for controllers.

That is a great idea but unfortunately it is beyond my knowledge. I love the idea but I have much to learn here. i did however figure out a way to offer the option to the user regarding Platform Logos. Thanks for the idea. There are now 2 downloads for this theme, one uses my logos and the other will use the ones installed by the user.

Making the controllers is the longest and most tedious part of this, it would be nice to have them auto populate. I will keep looking for a way.

2 hours ago, cemfundog said:

That is a great idea but unfortunately it is beyond my knowledge. I love the idea but I have much to learn here. i did however figure out a way to offer the option to the user regarding Platform Logos. Thanks for the idea. There are now 2 downloads for this theme, one uses my logos and the other will use the ones installed by the user.

Making the controllers is the longest and most tedious part of this, it would be nice to have them auto populate. I will keep looking for a way.

Honestly, this startup theme inspired me to start messing with it. I spent a couple hours last night trying to figure how to make it work. No luck so far. The colorful theme is perfect, and your themes have it a cohesive experience. I tried using the main colorful theme as reference, but I couldn't figure out where the code was to use them provided clear logos. That could probably be altered for the controller icons. No luck finding it yet though. 

The startup theme looks great, but I can't seem to get it to work.

I select the theme from within LaunchBox, load a game, and it adds a blank window. That's it; the game never plays, nor does the screen ever close.  

7 hours ago, HutOnChickenLegs said:

The startup theme looks great, but I can't seem to get it to work.

I select the theme from within LaunchBox, load a game, and it adds a blank window. That's it; the game never plays, nor does the screen ever close.  

I have no idea of what would be causing your issue. Can you give me some details like what platform is causing the problem or is it all platforms. Also, does it do this every time. I will try to figure it out but it works on my end so I need some more info.  The more the better, what screens size and resolution are you working with?

I seem to have the same issue as HutOnChickenLegs. When I enable the startup theme and then launch a game from within LaunchBox a blank window is added and LaunchBox freezes. From what I can tell the game never loads when looking at the task manager. This happens on all platforms. I also seem to lose the mouse cursor and have to restart the computer even after closing LaunchBox. Unticking hide mouse cursor on startup screen settings doesn't seem to fix that. In general when using this startup LaunchBox freezes on my system. I have a 1080p display if that means anything. Every other startup I have installed works. Not sure what the issue is on my end. I use your PauseTheme which looks great alongside Colorful theme. Will keep trying to get this to work on my end. 

Edited by Buliwfy

5 hours ago, Buliwfy said:

I seem to have the same issue as HutOnChickenLegs. When I enable the startup theme and then launch a game from within LaunchBox a blank window is added and LaunchBox freezes. From what I can tell the game never loads when looking at the task manager. This happens on all platforms. I also seem to lose the mouse cursor and have to restart the computer even after closing LaunchBox. Unticking hide mouse cursor on startup screen settings doesn't seem to fix that. In general when using this startup LaunchBox freezes on my system. I have a 1080p display if that means anything. Every other startup I have installed works. Not sure what the issue is on my end. I use your PauseTheme which looks great alongside Colorful theme. Will keep trying to get this to work on my end. 

Man, I am sorry about the trouble you are having. I am trying to duplicate it on my end but it is working fine so am not sure what to fix. I will look into a fix and upload a new one as soon as I can find the problem.

Edited by cemfundog

3 hours ago, cemfundog said:

Man, I am sorry about the trouble you are having. I am trying to duplicate it on my end but it is working fine so am not sure what to fix. Here is a new version I have made though. This is one i made for my Theme that i am working on. It is very similar but I think nicer over all. Try it out if you don't mind and let me know if you have any problems. If you do not get errors, then maybe that will help me figure out the problem with this one.

How funny, not 2 minutes after posting this I figured out the problem. I have updated the files and now everyone will get the fixed startup themes.

So sorry to everyone that has had problems, the error was on my end and extremely stupid. Bit it is fixed now. Please download again and get the updated versions.

Edited by cemfundog

On 11/22/2019 at 5:02 AM, cemfundog said:

How funny, not 2 minutes after posting this I figured out the problem. I have updated the files and now everyone will get the fixed startup themes.

So sorry to everyone that has had problems, the error was on my end and extremely stupid. Bit it is fixed now. Please download again and get the updated versions.

The startup theme works like a charm now - thanks!

EDIT: Compared to the rest of the layout, the platform logos look really small (way smaller than in the screenshots above). Is there a way to increase these in size? I have a 1080p display, by the way, and am using your logos.

Edited by HutOnChickenLegs

Thanks cemfundog. Its a great startup theme. One question though, how do I use gameplay screenshots instead of the generic image that was included with the theme. Was not sure what lines to edit in the xaml.

On 11/23/2019 at 2:42 AM, HutOnChickenLegs said:

The startup theme works like a charm now - thanks!

EDIT: Compared to the rest of the layout, the platform logos look really small (way smaller than in the screenshots above). Is there a way to increase these in size? I have a 1080p display, by the way, and am using your logos.

I am not sure, can you send me a screenshot. I need to see what you mean.

6 hours ago, Buliwfy said:

Thanks cemfundog. Its a great startup theme. One question though, how do I use gameplay screenshots instead of the generic image that was included with the theme. Was not sure what lines to edit in the xaml.

The way this works is LB or BB will automatically use the screenshot or fanart image for the game selected but the xaml file needs to match exactly to the platform name as it appears in your LB set up. 

Example: if you platform name is 'ABC Game Console' and the xaml file in my startup theme is  'ABC Games Console' then it will not work and it will use the generic image only. (notice the 's' in Game or Games is different)

Solution. Go into the startup theme and rename all the xaml files to match exactly to your platform names and this should fix the problem. Let me know.

Happy Gaming!

Edited by cemfundog

So all of my xaml files match the platform names exactly. It is still only showing the generic image. Its pulling the screenshot from Screenshot - Gameplay folder correct?

Edited by Buliwfy

1 hour ago, Buliwfy said:

So all of my xaml files match the platform names exactly. It is still only showing the generic image. Its pulling the screenshot from Screenshot - Gameplay folder correct?

give me an example of a platform that you are trying out? I know it is more than one but lets focus on one. I am testing on my end with the Arcade platform, which is MAME for me. What happens if you try the same platform?

53 minutes ago, rexryan said:

mine does the same also no screenshots.

give me an example of a platform that you are trying out? I know it is more than one but lets focus on one. I am testing on my end with the Arcade platform, which is MAME for me. What happens if you try the same platform?

Tried Arcade platform and every game launched uses the generic image. The Clear logo/controller appear and both are correct for all the games. When closing the game it shows the clear logo but also the generic image.

Edited by Buliwfy

30 minutes ago, Buliwfy said:

Tried Arcade platform and every game launched uses the generic image. The Clear logo/controller appear and both are correct for all the games. When closing the game it shows the clear logo but also the generic image.

ok, do you see a background image behind the frame? In other words, this theme uses an image for the overall background as well but it fades it out quite a bit. Do you see this or is the main background just solid white?