LaunchBox Community Forums

Memories of Yesterday BigBox Theme 1.2

(2 reviews)

11 Screenshots

About This File

This is my first BigBox theme made entirely with @y2guru's fantastic, Community theme creator. I called it Memories of Yesterday (I suck with cool theme names). Many Thanks to @viking, for the Silver Ring Clear Logo set. @Mr.RetroLust (I cant seem to tag you for some reason) for the Marquee Screen Filler Magic, that I used on my arcade cabinet view. @nosh for the device images that I borrowed from the "Nosh on this Twice" Theme and Everyone else on the forums for all the code snippets, that helped me make this theme.! The theme is for 1920x1080 resolutions. If you have any issues, I would love to hear about them.

Cheers! 

Edit: Added video.

What's New in Version 1.2   See changelog

Released

Added a new platform view that allows you to set a custom background and a games view for the Nintendo DS, that fixes the issue with the video frame, that caused it to have black bars on the sides of the video.

Installation:

Copy files to "LaunchBox\Themes\MemoriesOfYesterday\Views"

Nintendo DS view.png

Platform with device image.png

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Game On 2

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

14 minutes ago, misterlamide said:

Awesome theme love the look! would adding Weather under the time be possible?

Happy you like it :) I can certainly look into that for you!

9 hours ago, y2guru said:

Great job Scooter! very clean and nicely organized :)

Thanks! I appreciate it :) Thanks for the great software as well!

Great theme! I like simplicity of the theme and the arrangement of items: box art, game name, type of game, etc.

Is it possible for you to create a View where we can use our own wallpaper?

I've noticed if I replace the "_Default Platform Background" or "_Default Background" pictures with my own wallpaper, the video and the box art gets completely covered!

Is there a way for you to show the video and the boxart ABOVE the wallpaper without cutting transparency on the background? 

Like this example?

example_view.jpg

On 11/17/2019 at 10:53 AM, misterlamide said:

Awesome theme love the look! would adding Weather under the time be possible?

@misterlamide I was looking around the forum for a weather plugin and the one that is available is currently not working. If something else does come up. I will add it in for you :)

20 hours ago, GodElite said:

Great theme! I like simplicity of the theme and the arrangement of items: box art, game name, type of game, etc.

Is it possible for you to create a View where we can use our own wallpaper?

I've noticed if I replace the "_Default Platform Background" or "_Default Background" pictures with my own wallpaper, the video and the box art gets completely covered!

Is there a way for you to show the video and the boxart ABOVE the wallpaper without cutting transparency on the background? 

Like this example?

example_view.jpg

@GodElite I will have a look into this on the weekend for you. I'm pretty sure I can make a separate view for that.

Edited by scooter1974

3 minutes ago, GodElite said:

@scooter1974 thanks so much man! by the way, congratulations on this theme. amazing work! I'm using it right now, can't wait for the custom wallpaper view ;)

No worries at all! Happy you like it :)

@scooter1974 Thank you so much for the update bro! Now it's amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ??

I've just tweaked it a little bit - use the video frame from the game view on the Main Platform view too. I've set the variable "StretchVideo="true" and it looks very good. However for Nintendo DS and Nintendo 3DS it doesn't work very well as it stretches those vertical videos.

Is there a way to put an "IF" clause on the view code? 

Like:

If platform="Nintendo DS" or platform="Nintendo 3DS" then StretchVideo="false" ELSE StretchVideo="true"

Sorry to keep bothering you but this is my favorite theme so far and I would love it to solve these small "issues" to make it perfect ;)

Also, is there a way to include the "DEVICE_ART" on the Main Platform view? I wanted to show the device art for each platform, and also the Overview text as well. It would look very nice (see example pic)

Once again, can't thank you enough for having the effort of creating this custom view!! You're the best!!!

And sorry for my suggestions, it's just that I really love your theme lol! ?

stretched_video_DS.jpg

example_device_overview.jpg

@GodElite So happy that you like the theme and no worries about the suggestions, it helps me learn more about theme making and I enjoy the challenge. I made the updates you have requested above. My coding skills are lacking, so I just made a new view for the Nintendo DS platform and it will change automatically when that platform is selected. Unfortunately I don't have the Nintendo 3DS installed but you should be able to go into "Views\Wheel3GamesView\" and make a copy of the Nintendo DS.xaml file, and rename it to Nintendo 3DS.xaml. Hopefully that works, as i'm assuming the video snaps are roughly the same size. You also shouldn't have to stretch the game snaps now as I have resized the video frame to match. I hope that's what you were looking for :)

Edited by scooter1974

@scooter1974 Once again sir, you've outdone yourself!!! You did everything I wished for on a theme! It looks amazing now!! Thank you so much!

I've customized my theme with some little changes. If anyone wants, I can upload this.

MAIN MENU VIEW:

- Reshaped the video frame back to the proportion of your first version (doesn't look as flat now the video)

- Arranged the bottom right elements: increased X position of Clear logo and Total Game counter.

- Added my custom 'Device' media

- Removed the green button on the digital clock

PLATFORM VIEW - WITH DISC/CART ART:

- Centered the Box Art and Cart/Disc elements to be more balanced on this view

- Arranged the bottom right elements: increased X position of Clear logo and Game info.

PLATFORM VIEW - NO DISC/CART ART:

- For platforms that I don't have the Cart/Disc media, I've removed the extra image that shows this element. Because if you don't have the Cart/Disc media, the theme showed a repeated smaller cover image. Looks cleaner this way in my opinion.

- Arranged the bottom right elements: increased X position of Clear logo and Game info.

- Did the same above for the Nintendo DS custom view.

MAIN_MENU.png

PLATFORM_DISC.png

PLATFORM_VIEW1.png

PLATFORM_VIEW2.png

Wow, I have to say that I went through tons of themes and because of the customization this one clearly takes the cake. It is now my default theme. Did make a few small tweaks that I just thought that I would share. I have had all my "device" images added as banner images so I simply changed platformwheel3FiltersView.xaml to show it. Just scroll all the way to the bottom and look for <!-- Device Image -->

Then look for the line <Image Name="CustomBannerIMG"

and I changed the source= to {Binding Path=ActivePlatform.BannerImagePath}

I also just changed the yellow text (just don't like yellow at all) to light blue (just search for yellow in any view and change it to lightblue or whatever color you want)

Those as well as just changing the wallpaper made this into my perfect theme and is now my default. Btw, somebody mentioned adding the weather, dont do that. There is a plugin for it but I heard it adds a major lag to theme. Keep up the great work!

3 hours ago, Retro_Rage said:

Wow, I have to say that I went through tons of themes and because of the customization this one clearly takes the cake. It is now my default theme. Did make a few small tweaks that I just thought that I would share. I have had all my "device" images added as banner images so I simply changed platformwheel3FiltersView.xaml to show it. Just scroll all the way to the bottom and look for <!-- Device Image -->

Then look for the line <Image Name="CustomBannerIMG"

and I changed the source= to {Binding Path=ActivePlatform.BannerImagePath}

I also just changed the yellow text (just don't like yellow at all) to light blue (just search for yellow in any view and change it to lightblue or whatever color you want)

Those as well as just changing the wallpaper made this into my perfect theme and is now my default. Btw, somebody mentioned adding the weather, dont do that. There is a plugin for it but I heard it adds a major lag to theme. Keep up the great work!

Thank you for the comment! Happy you like it, Enjoy!!