LaunchBox Community Forums

RetroFresh 1.3

(15 reviews)

15 Screenshots

About This File

This theme was designed to add as little overhead as possible, while giving a clean and simplistic view of the content. RetroFresh works with your own media and uses them as its centerpiece. Hope you guys enjoy.

This theme was ported over to the COMMUNITY Theme Creator, and is the only version still supported. Both the theme and the Theme Creator files are supplied, just in case you would like to make any changes with the theme.

Installation Instructions

1. Extract 'RetroFresh - Theme.zip' LaunchBox/Themes folder.
  2. Open Big Box, go to Options/Views, select the RetroFresh theme.

Video Demonstration

The views I made are as follows:

RetroFresh

Spoiler

Platform Wheel View 1
This platform view was designed to get out of the way of the full screen platform videos made by all the wonderful people contributing to LaunchBox. The platform videos are the focus here, as the wheel's transparent background let's the video shine through.

RetroFresh.PlatformList.Example1.jpgRetroFresh.PlatformList.Example2.jpg

- Platform Wheel View 2
This is a vertical version of Platform Wheel View 1. It was designed to get out of the way of the full screen platform videos made by all the wonderful people contributing to LaunchBox. The platform videos are the focus here, as the wheel's transparent background let's the video shine through.

RetroFresh.PlatformList3.Example1.jpgRetroFresh.PlatformList3.Example2.jpg

Platform Wheel View 3
This view's focus is on the platform theme videos, along with displaying their descriptions. It's all tied together with background platform images.

RetroFresh.PlatformList2.Example1.jpgRetroFresh.PlatformList2.Example3.jpg

Game Wheel View 1
This game view let's the box art and game video take center stage, while the blurred background image allows for the transparent UI elements to take on its color property.

RetroFresh.GameList.WheelLeft1.2.jpg

Game Wheel View 2
This game view is the same as the first, except the wheel is on the right.

RetroFresh.GameList.WheelRight1.2.jpg

Game Wheel View 3
This view keeps the same focus as with the Vertical views, while also providing space for more game details.

RetroFresh.GameList.HorizontalWheel1.jpg

Game Wheel View 4 - Experimental
This experimental view is designed specifically for game theme videos. It's a bare bones view with the main focus on the game video.

RetroFresh.Sleek.GameList4.GamThemes4.jpg

Game List View
This game view substitutes the wheel for a text list. This view will help on lower end systems, while the essence of theme remains intact.

If anyone finds any issues, please let me know.

RetroFresh.GameList.TextList-update.jpg

RetroFresh.Detailed.GameList.TextList1.jpg

RetroFresh.Detailed.GameList.WheelLeft.jpg

RetroFresh.Detailed.GameList.WheelRight.jpg

RetroFresh glass.png

What's New in Version 1.3   See changelog

Released

• This theme is 3D Box Model ready: All relevant views have had their hard coded box image element replaced with the main image transition.
  • Like 32
  • Thanks 7
  • Unusual Gem 2

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

I love the theme, thanks! 

I was wondering the platform video's used in the demo look so cool! (nes and genesis in particular). Can someone tell me where to find those gems because I can't seem to find them?

12 hours ago, jeemig said:

I love the theme, thanks! 

I was wondering the platform video's used in the demo look so cool! (nes and genesis in particular). Can someone tell me where to find those gems because I can't seem to find them?

Those are James Baker's platform videos, they are available to download from within Launchbox if you have the premium version. Just go to tools/download platform/playlist videos, they are the ones called Big Box Cinematix.

Screenshot (201).png

Thanks Neil! For some reason only those Big Box Cinematix wouldn't preview in launchbox for me but downloading went fine and have them now :).

• Like 1

I love the new frosted glass look. I do have a weird issue where instead of box art showing on the games view, it shows the clear logo in it's place. This only happens sometimes, and I can't find any reason. Does anyone know what's going on and how to fix it? Two clear logos on the screen is not as cool looking as one clear logo on the games wheel and then the box art next to it.

twoclearlogos.png

52 minutes ago, Holy2tack said:

I love the new frosted glass look. I do have a weird issue where instead of box art showing on the games view, it shows the clear logo in it's place. This only happens sometimes, and I can't find any reason. Does anyone know what's going on and how to fix it? Two clear logos on the screen is not as cool looking as one clear logo on the games wheel and then the box art next to it.

twoclearlogos.png

Sounds like you need to set a different Image Type in LaunchBox for GameCube games. Make sure the image type is set to what you would like to see in BigBox.

image.thumb.png.0a7c113c8b34649ada7e7e50404fd014.png

39017816_299744534106248_3318604118745939968_n.png?_nc_cat=0&oh=93b2400ae396f788849acf9ae64ef6bf&oe=5C09DF2F

My only problem is some background fan art doesn't stretch to the full screen in platform view. Any idea how to make it stretch? Cheers. Awesome theme by the way.

2 hours ago, sc0tt88 said:

39017816_299744534106248_3318604118745939968_n.png?_nc_cat=0&oh=93b2400ae396f788849acf9ae64ef6bf&oe=5C09DF2F

My only problem is some background fan art doesn't stretch to the full screen in platform view. Any idea how to make it stretch? Cheers. Awesome theme by the way.

Hey @sc0tt88. Thanks for the comment.

tried to recreate the issue on my computer, but couldn't, so I'll try to figure something out and send you a PM shortly.

Hi!!

I'm using text view on all my systems and have a little problem.

In some systems the clear logo of the system that appears on the left (at top of the games list) not appearing. Some systems works fine but not in others. I have my systems clear logos for all my systems.

Attached a screenshot to see what logo I'm talking about

Thanks.

2018-09-04_23h01_06.png

Edited by Daliant

I love the way this theme looks in the video but i am unable to get any art on wheel 1 like in the video. Can you help? It is just a black screen with the platform logos. I have attached a picture of what i am seeing. I have also tried refreshing the images after selecting the theme.

Capture.PNG

14 minutes ago, FoulSpud said:

I love the way this theme looks in the video but i am unable to get any art on wheel 1 like in the video. Can you help? It is just a black screen with the platform logos. I have attached a picture of what i am seeing. I have also tried refreshing the images after selecting the theme.

Capture.PNG

Those should be Platform videos in the background, if you have premium go to tools/download platform/playlist videos.

Hi @faeran I've two questions:

1 - Could be possible implement list box scroll center plugin to the theme?

2 - Many times I have slowdowns when exploring the list of games. When you are navigating through the list, sometimes stop browsing for a few seconds (even if you are pushing the joystick up or down) and then start up again. I do not know if this is a problem of Launchbox / BigBox or the theme itself, but the truth is that it is quite annoying to be browsing the list of games and not running smoothly. Do you think it could be solved in some way?

Thanks in advance and as always great job with this theme, for me is the best with difference.

11 minutes ago, Daliant said:

Hi @faeran I've two questions:

1 - Could be possible implement list box scroll center plugin to the theme?

2 - Many times I have slowdowns when exploring the list of games. When you are navigating through the list, sometimes stop browsing for a few seconds (even if you are pushing the joystick up or down) and then start up again. I do not know if this is a problem of Launchbox / BigBox or the theme itself, but the truth is that it is quite annoying to be browsing the list of games and not running smoothly. Do you think it could be solved in some way?

Thanks in advance and as always great job with this theme, for me is the best with difference.

Hi @Daliant. For performance, I would switch to the default theme and do a bunch of testing, see if it has the same problem.

This is one of the themes I'll be updating and adding to the new themes manager. I'll probably include the listbox scroll center plugin when I do.

Hi @faeran.

Tryied Critical Zone V2 theme and it works perfect on my system. Now the game list is very smooth and there are no slowdowns.

Could be a problem with some new features (cache related) in BigBox not implemented yet on your theme?

Thanks in advance.

Will this platform ever get an update?  It's great, and would be awesome to see it improved further with the newest version of BigBox.

On 8/6/2019 at 1:38 PM, KCJ101 said:

Will this platform ever get an update?  It's great, and would be awesome to see it improved further with the newest version of BigBox.

There was a time when I was working on freshening up this theme, but didn't see much interest in it. I may revisit it at a later date.

image.thumb.png.27f1adba95c86c2091a3389bb4314cb4.png

• Like 1

2 hours ago, faeran said:

There was a time when I was working on freshening up this theme, but didn't see much interest in it. I may revisit it at a later date.

In my opinion, it's one of the cleanest themes on BigBox.  I love the focus on the box art.  Here's hoping you decide to update it, I'm sure you could make it even better! 

7 hours ago, faeran said:

In my opinion, this theme is clean, simple and great just as it is. I think it just needs to be polished up a little with some new fonts and maybe a few extras

Hi @faeran, as I say before this is my favourite theme and is the one I use on my system.

Any possibilitie to add the list scroll center function and a clock to see the time?

I think with this 2 additions this could be the best theme ever created. Simple, clean and beautiful. Only need some little "functionality" to be the very, very BEST.

Thanks in advance.

8 hours ago, ea4492 said:

You should try and remake this with the theme editor, this is a really nice theme.

Updates on April 27, 2020

• Updated RetroFresh COMMUNITY Theme Creator Edition to version 1.1 - Made a minor change in Games Wheel 4 view, adjusting the height/width of certain elements.
  • Included the RetroFresh - COMMUNITY Project Files - This can be used to load into the COMMUNITY Theme Creator so you can create your own version of RetroFresh.

:D

• Like 1

When i use Game Wheel View 3, i am not getting all of the details of the game.  Specifically play mode so i can see if it is a two player game. I've tried a few versions of this to be sure and also completely reset big box including the config file.  Otherwise this is such a fantastic theme and i really love it!!  I also have the publisher listed twice, once above the game details and it is inside or behind the game title.