LaunchBox Community Forums

RetroFresh 1.3

(15 reviews)

15 Screenshots

About This File

This theme was designed to add as little overhead as possible, while giving a clean and simplistic view of the content. RetroFresh works with your own media and uses them as its centerpiece. Hope you guys enjoy.

This theme was ported over to the COMMUNITY Theme Creator, and is the only version still supported. Both the theme and the Theme Creator files are supplied, just in case you would like to make any changes with the theme.

Installation Instructions

1. Extract 'RetroFresh - Theme.zip' LaunchBox/Themes folder.
  2. Open Big Box, go to Options/Views, select the RetroFresh theme.

Video Demonstration

The views I made are as follows:

RetroFresh

Spoiler

Platform Wheel View 1
This platform view was designed to get out of the way of the full screen platform videos made by all the wonderful people contributing to LaunchBox. The platform videos are the focus here, as the wheel's transparent background let's the video shine through.

RetroFresh.PlatformList.Example1.jpgRetroFresh.PlatformList.Example2.jpg

- Platform Wheel View 2
This is a vertical version of Platform Wheel View 1. It was designed to get out of the way of the full screen platform videos made by all the wonderful people contributing to LaunchBox. The platform videos are the focus here, as the wheel's transparent background let's the video shine through.

RetroFresh.PlatformList3.Example1.jpgRetroFresh.PlatformList3.Example2.jpg

Platform Wheel View 3
This view's focus is on the platform theme videos, along with displaying their descriptions. It's all tied together with background platform images.

RetroFresh.PlatformList2.Example1.jpgRetroFresh.PlatformList2.Example3.jpg

Game Wheel View 1
This game view let's the box art and game video take center stage, while the blurred background image allows for the transparent UI elements to take on its color property.

RetroFresh.GameList.WheelLeft1.2.jpg

Game Wheel View 2
This game view is the same as the first, except the wheel is on the right.

RetroFresh.GameList.WheelRight1.2.jpg

Game Wheel View 3
This view keeps the same focus as with the Vertical views, while also providing space for more game details.

RetroFresh.GameList.HorizontalWheel1.jpg

Game Wheel View 4 - Experimental
This experimental view is designed specifically for game theme videos. It's a bare bones view with the main focus on the game video.

RetroFresh.Sleek.GameList4.GamThemes4.jpg

Game List View
This game view substitutes the wheel for a text list. This view will help on lower end systems, while the essence of theme remains intact.

If anyone finds any issues, please let me know.

RetroFresh.GameList.TextList-update.jpg

RetroFresh.Detailed.GameList.TextList1.jpg

RetroFresh.Detailed.GameList.WheelLeft.jpg

RetroFresh.Detailed.GameList.WheelRight.jpg

RetroFresh glass.png

What's New in Version 1.3   See changelog

Released

• This theme is 3D Box Model ready: All relevant views have had their hard coded box image element replaced with the main image transition.
  • Like 33
  • Thanks 7
  • Unusual Gem 2

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

beautiful Theme, but recently i experienced a problem with the Device Image Fading / Vanishing and not appearing again, i already turn off the transitions and didnt work, i think with the others themes there are not problems. Please i need help, i want it to work again, mainly 'cause all my set-up its build with this theme in mind with those views and images.

i Have:

Theme: RetroFresh Detailed (1.5.1)

Start-up View: Platform Categories

Platform Wheel 3

(btw retrofresh 1.11 works normally but doesnt have the games details that i want)

Screenshot (13039).png

Edited by Danmage

19 minutes ago, Danmage said:

beautiful Theme, but recently i experienced a problem with the Device Image Fading / Vanishing and not appearing again, i already turn off the transitions and didnt work, i think with the others themes there are not problems. Please i need help, i want it to work again, mainly 'cause all my set-up its build with this theme in mind with those views and images.

i Have:

Theme: RetroFresh Detailed (1.5.1)

Start-up View: Platform Categories

Platform Wheel 3

(btw retrofresh 1.11 works normally but doesnt have the games details that i want)

Screenshot (13039).png

Hi @Danmage.

At this point, I would say the issue is with the theme itself, as it's definitely getting long in the tooth. I can attempt to recreate it, which should solve whatever issues you are seeing with it.

I'll add that to my list to do, but may take some time.

• Thanks 1

@faeranThank you so much, this amazing theme has been one of the best themes and still, i think a lot of people agree with me, thank you for taking care of the theme. 

Edited by Danmage
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Banduck said:

Is there an option to disable the video stretching so that they are displayed in the correct aspect ratio?

grafik.thumb.png.2515453b9614027b485b762a58d5053e.png

If you load up the COMMUNITY Theme Creator files, there's a property on the video that adjusts the video stretch.

Alternatively, you can open up the xaml file in the Themes\RetroFresh\Views folder and search for the property "StretchVideo" and change it to false.

Based on your screenshot, you'd want to make the change inside of the horizontal view file.

• Thanks 1

Released December 2, 2021

At this point, I'm only supporting the COMMUNITY Theme Creator version of this theme. The following has been updated:

So, this means download 'COMMUNITY Theme Creator Files.zip' as you're only updating this one?

4 minutes ago, Serpent said:

So, this means download 'COMMUNITY Theme Creator Files.zip' as you're only updating this one?

That meant I removed the older version of the theme that was created outside of the CTC.

The COMMUNITY Theme Creator Files are for if you want to load them into the CTC to make changes to it.

You can either download the Theme files, or download it from inside Big Box if you want to load the theme into Big Box.

5 minutes ago, faeran said:

That meant I removed the older version of the theme that was created outside of the CTC.

The COMMUNITY Theme Creator Files are for if you want to load them into the CTC to make changes to it.

You can either download the Theme files, or download it from inside Big Box if you want to load the theme into Big Box.

Thanks for clarifying. 😄 joe-dirt-im-new.gif

Hey @faeran -

RetroFresh is by far my favorite Big Box theme.  One quick question: what Clear Logo pack is shown when you are watching the Theme preview in Big Box?  I can't seem to find it anywhere, and it looks to be exactly what I want.  Thanks in advance for any help!

Edited by Nick4222

13 hours ago, Nick4222 said:

Hey @faeran -

RetroFresh is by far my favorite Big Box theme.  One quick question: what Clear Logo pack is shown when you are watching the Theme preview in Big Box?  I can't seem to find it anywhere, and it looks to be exactly what I want.  Thanks in advance for any help!

Thanks @Nick4222. I believe I made them for myself a bunch of years back, but never released them. I only made about 80 of them, if I remember correctly.

I really like the vertical wheel 2 games view but I would like to also have game details included instead of just the name and date. Any way I can do that?

4 minutes ago, DanCue said:

I really like the vertical wheel 2 games view but I would like to also have game details included instead of just the name and date. Any way I can do that?

It would require you to make changes to the theme, either within the theme files itself, or you can download the COMMUNITY Theme Creator files and load them up into the COMMUNITY Theme Creator.

Ok. Thank you. Theme looks awesome. I was really looking for something like the RVGM theme in Batocera and this is the closest I saw. Thank you!

1 minute ago, faeran said:

It would require you to make changes to the theme, either within the theme files itself, or you can download the COMMUNITY Theme Creator files and load them up into the COMMUNITY Theme Creator.

@faeran Thank you for providing this awesome theme. 

I noticed on 1.3 that clear logos are not scaling properly anymore within the game lists wheels. If you have a large resolution clear logo it will show outside of the selection rectangle on the wheel.  This seems to be happening on all three game list views and seems to have just started happening in this version. I verified this against my really old version and 1.2.  I attached terrible photos but I think it shows what I am talking about.  

*Edit: version number information

IMG_9717.jpg

IMG_9715.jpg

Edited by SrfrBoyBobby

17 hours ago, SrfrBoyBobby said:

@faeran Thank you for providing this awesome theme. 

I noticed on 1.3 that clear logos are not scaling properly anymore within the game lists wheels. If you have a large resolution clear logo it will show outside of the selection rectangle on the wheel.  This seems to be happening on all three game list views and seems to have just started happening in this version. I verified this against my really old version and 1.2.  I attached terrible photos but I think it shows what I am talking about.  

*Edit: version number information

IMG_9717.jpg

IMG_9715.jpg

Yeah, I can think of some ways to fix that, although may take some time.

It's possible you could solve it yourself by clearing your image cache in Big Box, although I can't remember if that trick still works or not. It's possible it doesn't.

22 hours ago, faeran said:

Yeah, I can think of some ways to fix that, although may take some time.

It's possible you could solve it yourself by clearing your image cache in Big Box, although I can't remember if that trick still works or not. It's possible it doesn't.

Cool, thanks for the suggestion. I’ll check that trick out. 

Look nice. I'm tempted to try this theme but i'm too used to vertical right wheel for categories and platforms and it seems this theme lack it.