LaunchBox Community Forums

DarkRoom 1.0.6

(7 reviews)

58 Screenshots

About This File

Intro

DarkRoom is a theme for BigBox that relies heavily on 1120x1080 fanarts / game illustrations and has been influenced by CoinOps design.

It has been designed for a 16:9 ratio, 1920x1080 resolution, and I know for sure that it displays correctly at 2560x1440.

This theme covers most home systems (around 10 still to be done) + windows indies + a few candy cabs for arcade specific playlist

This theme has :

- 1 platform view, which presents a delayed video with random games from the current platform/playlist. That means this theme doesn't need generic platform videos (except for meta category like Arcade, Computers, Consoles, etc ...); also, non auto-populated playlists will not display any video for now.

- 2 game views: a wheel view and a text game view

Configuration Files

In "Launchbox\Themes\DarkRoom\Views\Configurations", there are several xaml files (1 for each supported system).

In case one of your system has a different name from the one the theme is using (Example: "Arcade SNK Neo Geo MVS" instead of "SNK Neo Geo MVS"), you can just:

- copy the xaml file and rename the copy with the name from your collection (or directly rename the original), but from an evolutive point of view, it would be better to create a xaml file "Arcade SNK Neo Geo MVS.xaml" with that inside (to simplify, the content makes it so that "Arcade SNK Neo Geo" inherits "SNK Neo Geo MVS" system)

<ResourceDictionary xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/winfx/2006/xaml/presentation" xmlns:x="http://schemas.microsoft.com/winfx/2006/xaml">

<ResourceDictionary.MergedDictionaries>
        <ResourceDictionary Source="pack://siteoforigin:,,,/Themes/DarkRoom/Views/Configurations/SNK Neo Geo MVS.xaml" />
    </ResourceDictionary.MergedDictionaries>    
</ResourceDictionary>

- change the name of the platform fanart / clear logos located in "Launchbox\Themes\DarkRoom\Images\<Platforms or Playlists>\<Fanart or Clear Logo>"

Performances and cash management

Due to the animation handled by the theme, performance issues had to be addressed to somewhat mitigate them (I personnaly don't have any problem now).

A cash manager has been added to the theme to handle fanart sliding transition

You can configure it (WheelGameView.xaml and PlatformWheel4FiltersView.xaml) by modifying the following lines:

<rs:ImageSliderControl.ImageManager>
    <rsm:GameImageManager CashEnabled="true" Quality="85" ProcessorCount="4" CashLimit="500"/>
</rs:ImageSliderControl.ImageManager
>

- Set CashEnabled to false to disabled it

- Set Quality to your liking (under 50 it becomes ugly, and more that 85 will raise RAM usage significantly)

- ProcessorCount shouldn't be changed. I let it for testing purpose but will probably suppress it at some point. But if you do, set an even number, less or equal to your physical processor count (AKA without hyperthreading)

- Set CashLimit (Mo) to your need. Depending on your fanart filesize, you may need to raise it. For my need I will probably raise it to 1000Mo (that should be around 6000 fanarts given the average size of mine).

Also note that cash is cleared every time a new gameview is entered, so you need to set its limit according to the system that has the most games (provided they each have their fanart - for me it is the ZX spectrum).

Video

Files in Download sections

- DarkRoom.zip contains main theme files.

- Fanart - Pack 1.zip, that contains "full" pack of fanarts for the following systems:

Spoiler

- Amstrad GX 4000

- Atari 5200

- Atari 7800

- Atari XEGS

- Casio PV1000

- Examu Ex-Board (TTX)

- Funtech Super Acan

- Konami E-Amusement (TTX)

- Namco System ES3 (TTX)

- NESiCAxLive (TTX)

- Nintendo Sufami Turbo

- Nintendo Wii (not full pack)

- Sega 32x

- Sega Europa -R (TTX)

- SNK Neo Geo CD

- Sony Playstation 2 (not full pack)

- Windows Indie (not full pack)

I will add more as time comes ...

Special Thanx

@Rincewind for his time in helping me fix an issue with the theme. I would not have been able to figure out what was wrong alone.

Edited by RedSnake

What's New in Version 1.0.6   See changelog

Released

- added GameViews for Sega Arcade, Capcom Arcade, Magnavox Odyssey 2, Philips VideoPac+, Sega SG-1000, Epoch Super Cassette Vision, SNK Neo Geo AES, Ps3, Xbox 360 and Xbox platforms.

- fixed release date display. Now it takes into account cultural info

- user settings taken into account for fanart slide speed, video volume, and game filters

- improved performances (or so it should)

• Like 13
  • Thanks 6
  • Unusual Gem 4

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

Hello RedSnake. First of all, sorry for the language. I use google translate. I hope you understand me.
You see, I'm already desperate, probably because of my zero knowledge of programming. I just wanted to know where to find the list of games that you base their id on.

2141766081_listaid.thumb.jpg.1a04d13cc41ac4a987e504aaa900f177.jpg
Example. If I make a LIGHT GUN platform with a custom cabinet (I know it looks very basic but it serves as an example) Then I include "Alien 3 - the gun" on that platform and with that specific cabinet but in the end it doesn't put my cabinet, to unless I manually change the real name: "Alien3: The Gun" for "Alien3 - The Gun".

So, yes it works but if I want to put the game in a list and not a platform, then it goes wrong again.

1032454718_Sinttulo.thumb.jpg.bb0f876aaf0f64ca1a970be429c79517.jpg

I have tried everything. Visual studio. Microsoft Visual C ++. I opened the dll with "Resource Hacker" I do not like to bother about anything. But I really am lost and frustrated. Definitely. Where could I see that list that you use to put custom cabinets for each game? Thank you.

PD: OK. One minute after writing this comment I just found out. I'm definitely stupid XD.

revelation.thumb.png.aef4ea48d6c5141a00a7b31f646a4e7c.png

Edited by REI AYANAMI

Hi,

Yes it is exactly what you have to do to add specific cabs.

Just as a side note, you shouldn't do what you are doing because at some point I will add these kind of cabinets, so your work will be wasted. (But if you are that impatient, then yes this is the way to go ^^)

• Like 1

I agree. I'll wait for your work first. It is very worked. I am a bit bad making art design, I never used more than paint.net. Maybe gimp cheer me up. Anyway any suggestions we will see you here. Nice to communicate with you. Greetings!

1 hour ago, Ninjaman said:

this is a cool theme

btw can you post the CTC 

community theme creator files for this theme thanks

Thanx,

This theme wasn't made with the CTC sorry.

You will have to edit the xaml files yourself if you want to change anything.

15 minutes ago, Ninjaman said:

I dont have the skills for that

But i can use CTC

Then you can try taking all the assets from this theme and try to rebuild it from scratch in the CTC yourself.

Sorry for asking a likely silly question, how do I install the Fanart pack..? It contains a lot of zipped files which I have no idea where to extract to.

28 minutes ago, Ninjaman said:

Camaxide 

you can drag it in to LaunchBox\Themes\DarkRoom\Images\Platform Categories\Fanart

No

I think he is talking about game fanarts, not platforms/categories/playlist (which are delivered within the theme).

You have to unzip them in "\Launchbox\Images\<your system>\Fanart - Background"

What's up Snake? How are you?
I can't wait to see the new platforms you are preparing. When will the update arrive? Thank you. And don't feel pressured, please, I just love your theme.
Also, if you can fix that when using the pause-themes with your theme in use. The music of the video of the game does not stop listening.
I would also like if you could make the wheel as similar as possible to the CoinOps Original.
With more curvature than it has now and the logos a little closer together.
And nothing more. Sorry, English is not my native language. I am from Spain. If I can help you with something. With fanarts or whatever. I would be happy to help. Greetings

3 hours ago, REI AYANAMI said:

What's up Snake? How are you?
I can't wait to see the new platforms you are preparing. When will the update arrive? Thank you. And don't feel pressured, please, I just love your theme.

Hi Rei,

I don't know when the update will come. I have done 10 more home systems and 3 handhelds so far.

There were a couple of things that happened recently in my life that made me slow down on the theme.

Also, if you can fix that when using the pause-themes with your theme in use. The music of the video of the game does not stop listening.

I am not sure I understand what you mean whith the music issue tough. I will see what I can do if I can reproduce the problem, but videos are managed via the pluggin, and as a consequence, there are various situations where it isn't notified when it must be stopped. That may be one of those cases.

I would also like if you could make the wheel as similar as possible to the CoinOps Original.
With more curvature than it has now and the logos a little closer together.

I can't really do that, as coinops curvature seems to be managed in a different way that BigBox does.

For the record, I have suppressed the wheel pointer.

And nothing more. Sorry, English is not my native language. I am from Spain. If I can help you with something. With fanarts or whatever. I would be happy to help. Greetings

That's ok I understand you very well.

I don't really need any help, but thanks for the offer.

Greetings

• Like 1

Of course. Personal life is more important. I'm glad to hear you're still here. Slowly. There really is no rush. I also have a lot to fix in my collections. It's really a great job you do. Keep it up. Lots of health and happiness to you. Greetings!

Great work, this theme is awesome!

I dont know if you are still updating it or not, but if its not too much to ask, can you release the unedited art files? so we can do minor tweaks?

Or at least a nice clean TV art to replace the "theme/platform/device/_Default.png" and "theme/system/device/_Default.png" files without the "under construction tag".
Even if you wont update this theme its a big help.

thank you in advance!

• Like 1

Hello. Thank for the great theme. In my games i see a launchbox logo behind the game wheel. Not those great pics you have. How can i find them?

Imo the best launchbox theme but unfortunately abandoned and without ctc files to follow the project

Any chance someone has the background art from the game list files?
I mean the background art without the television or console/cabinet. The bookcase and window.

The best theme, abandoned, sad