LaunchBox Community Forums

(Bulk) Remove Additional Applications 1.2.1

(1 review)

1 Screenshot

About This File

(Bulk) Remove Additional Applications

(July 10, 2023)
This plugin is no longer supported. But [for now] still works.
Please see its successor: Bulk Add/Remove Additional Applications

The intent of this plugin is to Remove the same** Additional Application for all games in a given Platform, all at one time.

**Same is determined by the Additional Applications Application Name and Application Path.  If they match exactly, they are the ‘same’.

Why use this?   Quite possibly because you used the Bulk Add Additional Applications plugin and you clicked “OK” before realizing you forgot to add in the Command-Line Parameters or it's simply not needed anymore.

Setup:
Download and extract "BulkRemoveAdditionalApps.dll" from the zip file and place it in your Plugins subfolder of LaunchBox.

Right click the dll file, select Properties, and click "Unblock" (if it's there) and click OK.
image.png.3db5e9572f9aac018b3de7a950b3bf9f.png

Using the plugin:
-  Click Tools and select "Bulk Remove Additional Apps".
-  Click the dropdown box and select a Platform.
-  Click Get to show the Additional Apps for that Platform.***
-  Check the Remove box(s) for the Additional Apps you wish to delete.
-  Click Remove to delete/remove all occurrences of those selected Additional Apps.****

*** The plugin will 'combine' any Additional Apps that have the exact same Name AND App Path, and only display one of those.  When you remove that "one", all occurrences (having the same Name and Path) will be removed.

***Example:  You used the Bulk Add Additional Applications plugin to add an Additional App to 245 different games.  You named it “My Run-Before App” and set the Application Path to “D:\MyApps\RunBefore.exe”.  This plugin will only display it in the list once, instead of 245 times.  (Because they all “have the exact same Name AND App Path”.)

image.thumb.png.8333d6c6c27544612be876c75ace78d4.png

**** Once you click Remove, the apps you had selected will get removed/deleted forever.  There is no undoing this once OK is clicked! (unless of course you have your backup file that was created with the LaunchBox built-in Automatic Backup feature.)

Edited by JoeViking245
No longer supported

What's New in Version 1.2.1   See changelog

Released

v1.2.1
fixed - When checking Check All, if you had more than 11 Additional Apps listed, only the 1st 11 were checked.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3
  • Unusual Gem 2

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

This is great! Thank you so much for building and offering this plugin. It will be very useful for many of us. 

If I may, a feature request: Please allow Additional Commandline Parameters (or whatever that field's actually called) to be part of what the plugin considers a unique app (perhaps as a checkbox option which is unchecked by default). So if I have the same RunBefore.exe on 1000 apps, and I only want to delete the 45 that have a certain string in the additional commandline parameters, this extra filtering would support that. 

In my case, I use batch files a lot, and I feed it game-specific parameters via commandline arguments. So that one script would show up once in this current logic, but if I had this extra level of pattern matching enabled, I could single out a subset for removal. 

I have a real use case for this now, where I initially used Bulk Add to add a generic "starting point" additional app with the intention that I would later go through and edit the app to add a single keyword as an argument only on the games I ended up caring about / favoriting. I later changed my process and now would like to go through and remove only those with the missing keyword (which would all appear as the same string in the plugin). 

Example: 
My Run-Before App, D:\MyApps\RunBefore.exe, cfg\.ugc 
My Run-Before App, D:\MyApps\RunBefore.exe, cfg\frogger.ugc 
My Run-Before App, D:\MyApps\RunBefore.exe, cfg\mrdo.ugc 
My Run-Before App, D:\MyApps\RunBefore.exe, cfg\zaxxon.ugc 

This extra granularity would let me remove just the app that matched "cfg\.ugc"

24 minutes ago, megashub said:

Additional Commandline Parameters

I had thought about adding the Custom Command-Line Parameters.  But figured with Bulk adding addnl. Apps, it would have been redundant.  Also, that with Bulk adding multiple times, the apps Name would have been unique to each game [set]. Making these being displayed separately already.  But I see what you did there.

I had my team look into this and think we've come up with a solution.  A "check Box" (as suggested).

image.thumb.png.447fdf37e6cf40e6086333316dc2dcf5.png

- Select your Platform

- Check (or uncheck) Split By Commandline BEFORE clicking Get.

- If you select a Platform and click Get, then decide you want to see them 'sorted' by command line... click Clear, check the box and then click Get again.

Since there have been so many downloads of this plugin, could you please test this before it gets officially updated with the released Plugin?  It would be greatly appreciated!  Oh, and don't forget to Unblock the file, as before.  Thank you for your time, patience and consideration. 

BulkRemoveAdditionalApps 1.0.1.zip

Wow. That was blazingly fast! Thank you!! :) Yes, I will absolutely test this later this afternoon and report back.

59 minutes ago, JoeViking245 said:

I had thought about adding the Custom Command-Line Parameters.  But figured with Bulk adding addnl. Apps, it would have been redundant.  Also, that with Bulk adding multiple times, the apps Name would have been unique to each game [set]. Making these being displayed separately already.  But I see what you did there.

I had my team look into this and think we've come up with a solution.  A "check Box" (as suggested).

image.thumb.png.447fdf37e6cf40e6086333316dc2dcf5.png

- Select your Platform

- Check (or uncheck) Split By Commandline BEFORE clicking Get.

- If you select a Platform and click Get, then decide you want to see them 'sorted' by command line... click Clear, check the box and then click Get again.

Since there have been so many downloads of this plugin, could you please test this before it gets officially updated with the released Plugin?  It would be greatly appreciated!  Oh, and don't forget to Unblock the file, as before.  Thank you for your time, patience and consideration. 

BulkRemoveAdditionalApps 1.0.1.zip 8.81 kB · 0 downloads

This appears to function as intended. I did not encounter any odd behavior. 

• Game On 1

Hi viking! everything was working great but on the bulk remove app after 12.15 , i can remove stuff but the changes dont stick and revert after i close launchbox. is it a permissions issue of some sort?

2 hours ago, magicray1028 said:

Hi viking! everything was working great but on the bulk remove app after 12.15 , i can remove stuff but the changes dont stick and revert after i close launchbox. is it a permissions issue of some sort?

Thanks for letting me know.

It's not a permissions issue.  Something definitely changed between LaunchBox Version 12.14 (plugin works) and 12.15 (plugin no longer works).  I did do some quick testing and tried some changes, but nothing worked.  I'll need to get with my team of experts, dig onto it deeper and see what we can come up with.

Until then, you'll have to go "old school" and do it one-by-one.

If you are in a huge need of a Bulk Remove, as an option, you could go into ../LaunchBox/Updates/ and install 12.14 over the top of your current LB installation (a.k.a. a temp. 'downgrade'), run the plugin, then reinstall 12.15.  Not the most elegant solution, but an option none-the-less.

I can't give any timeframe on when I can fix this. If at all.  So please don't hold your breath. ;)

• Thanks 1

ah ok cool i knew i wasnt going crazy. no worries, i did end up having to old school it, strangely adding applications still works but removing no longer does. I did try downgrading as well but that also didnt work . only manually removing it from launchbox did. Let me know if it works! be happy to buy u a beer for ur trouble.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, magicray1028 said:

I did try downgrading as well but that also didnt work

Bummer.  I only tested by doing a fresh install [into a new folder] of 12.14 (vs. 'downgrading'), copying in a Platform with a bunch of Additional Apps, and it worked there.  I'll let you know if/when something gets figured out.  Thanks again.

On 10/3/2022 at 3:45 PM, magicray1028 said:

Let me know

Scratch everything I said about the plugin working or not working between different versions of LaunchBox.  I was wrong.

Interim fix:  After running the plugin, click on any game in the platform(s) that you did the bulk remove in. Click Edit, then click OK.

Permanent fix: The next release of LaunchBox (post 12.15) will permanently save the removed additional apps upon exiting.

Great Addon, thank you. Is there any way we could get a "Select All" or "Remove All" button? It's a tiny addition that could save a ton of time in some cases.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Flyojumper said:

Great Addon, thank you. Is there any way we could get a "Select All" or "Remove All" button? It's a tiny addition that could save a ton of time in some cases.

I won't give you a button, but I will give you a "Check All" checkbox. Check it to select (check) all. Un-check it to un-select all.

v1.2.0
New Feature - Added check-box to check/un-check all items

• Thanks 1