LaunchBox Community Forums

1 Screenshot

About This File

1296 SHMUPS!  Split playlists for arcade and consoles.

Download the .xml files and place them in your LaunchBox\Data\Playlists directory.

Here's how many games are in each playlist:

SHMUPS (Arcade):           501*

SHMUPS (Dreamcast)        24

SHMUPS (Game Gear) :       9

SHMUPS (GB/GBC) :           42

SHMUPS (GBA):                   21

SHMUPS (Genesis) :           70 (including Sega CD and 32x games)

SHMUPS (MSX):                144**

SHMUPS (Naomi):              18

SHMUPS (NES):                 132 (including Famicom and Famicom Disk games)

SHMUPS (PS1):                    69

SHMUPS (PS2):                    34

SHMUPS (PSP):                    24

SHMUPS (Saturn)                54

SHMUPS (SMS):                   20

SHMUPS (SNES):                 39 

SHMUPS (Turbo Grafx):     99 (including Turbo CD/PC Engine/PC Engine CD/SuperGrafx games)

SHMUPS (All-in-one)      1296

*2 games in the Arcade list, 'Pilot Kids' and 'Zero Gunner', will require a Sega Model 2 emulator for them to work.  These two games are made by Psikyo...quality SHMUPS.

**The MSX list still needs a bit of work, there are a few 3D/rail shooters that need to be edited out.  A future update will probably have less games in the list.

SHMUPS.thumb.png.dae62702fb4f482148a7920ac5d422bf.pngWhat these playlists have:

2D and 2.5D horizontal and vertical SHMUPS
Some classic fixed screen SHMUPS (Space Invaders, Galaga, Asteroids, etc.)
mostly No Clones  (These lists were handpicked. Lots of 'Same game, different name' games were filtered out)
No Run 'N Gun style games (Contra, Metal Slug, Turrican, etc.), but some hybrid games did make it on here.
No 3D Shooters (Afterburner, Galaxy Force II, Space Harrier, etc.)

What's New in Version 1.5.1   See changelog

Released

1.5.1 Update

6 more games added to the NES (and consequentially added to the All-in-one)

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2
  • Unusual Gem 1

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

Glad you guys are enjoying the list.  I may be updating it soon.  There were more that I have found.  I'm also making Shmup lists for NES, SNES, Genesis, and Turbo Grafx.

i will be combining the NES with Famicom and Famicom Disk  There are over 100 in that list.

I haven't started the TGrafx list yet, but I think the NES list might actually have more... we shall see.

@orac31

You can make your own playlist off the ones I provide here.  I'll be making another update maybe this week.  I'll provide an 'All-in-one' when I do.  Got a full list of Dreamcast shmups already made.  Still working on PS2.  I also found a few more NES/Famicom shmups.  I think I might stop after that.  

Hi MetalVinnie, I don't know much about how to edit an XML document properly. I have made a few playlists for every system I have and I would like to split it up the way you have for separate systems. I assume this is possible with notepad++  at least I hope it is? as I say I have very limited knowledge of how to manipulate an XML, could you tell me what command I should use if I wanted to split up every MAME game for example? Any help greatly appreciated.

@Levo_Stone

All the games in all the playlists I've posted were hand selected by me, one at a time, through Launchbox.  I really don't have any idea how to edit the actual xml files.  Sorry, I don't think I have the answer you are looking for.