LaunchBox Community Forums

New LaunchBox Platform Image Collection Thread

Jason Carr

Hey guys, @bd000 is contributing many platform images for use in the upcoming home theater view. Beyond that, we're looking for platform backgrounds and images for all platforms to be used as the default images in the app. If you have some to contribute, please feel free to post them here. :) Keep in mind that unfortunately we can't always just use other people's images found on the web, because we can't distribute them with LaunchBox. Feel free to still post them here for other people to use, but know that unless we have permission from the creator, or it's public domain, etc., we can't distribute the image with LaunchBox. Thanks guys! :)

BigBox Platform Images.

Dropbox Repository

I have uploaded all the images in this thread to Dropbox to make them easier to browse and quicker to find what you're looking for. Here is the link to the Dropbox repository!

Contribute and Share

Anyone who wishes to share their own images, please do. I will add them to the Dropbox repository with the rest. Image dimensions are 600 x 513 px. It is OK to go larger, but ensure you retain the aspect ratio. Don't go smaller.

Requests

If anyone would like to request an image to be created, please do so here.

I feel like we should set some design standards for the images. White background, logo placement, etc. I love the images that have been submitted, and unfortunately I don't have anything to contribute at the moment (just in from work and coming down with a cold, ah the life of a schoolteacher *sneeze!*), but I would be afraid that such a torrent of different images would go against the design. I'll help where I can of course, but I just wanted to introduce this into the conversation.

Very cool guys. Thanks a million bd, all look great. I agree that ideally everything should be uniform, but I recognize the difficulty of that between all the various platforms, so I figure I can't be too picky with that stuff for the initial default images. What are you guys using to work on these things? Photoshop? Perhaps we can share Photoshop PSD files so they can be easily modified/improved by the community?

Hi bd000 Here's a few not on your list. All 3 computer images and the Arc logo are PD. The rest is your's truly on Paint.NET. Acorn Archimedes http://i.imgur.com/Qt7RoqX.jpg BBC Micro http://i.imgur.com/WKkd0Hy.jpg Colour Genie http://i.imgur.com/6VUvZ8U.jpg

I actually prefer the images to be a representation of the platform, but that is just a personal preference. I absolutely understand that others will disagree and that is why I think it is important that users should be able to customize this. The images are very different, however I do try to keep a uniformity across developers. A little like cover art I suppose. I generally look at the box the console came in or promotional media (flyers and such) to get inspiration. Also, I am certainly not happy with all the images I created, but I am on a tight schedule and I see these as something that can be improved over time. There are some I really hate. I suppose it would be better to use uniform images to package with LB, I didn't really think about that. However, I don't have the time to start over. I will keep posting images, if you want to use them please do, if not, don't and don't feel bad. I get personal preference and it really makes no difference to me, I'm just trying to help out while creating my own set. As time goes on, I will change designs, add alternatives, tweak current designs and share them. But right now I just need to focus on getting a complete set out there. Everyone who is customizing to this level should join in and share. If you feel my creations are not what your looking for, then share your designs for other like minded users. I have a couple of chores to take care of and then the wife wants to watch Game of Thrones. After that I will get the rest created Jason. Nice Scree. Thanks for helping out Smile

I think bd000 designs are really great and will compliment any background colour well done looking forward to seeing them in project couch. All you need to do now bd is create a few seperate arcade one for Sega Model 1, 2, 3 and the Crystal System to go with emulators that people are using for them. ps: would love to see smaller versions of them for the sidebar in launchbox instead of the writing of what each platform is think it would look really nice as well if it was possible?

Maddoc1007 said All you need to do now bd is create a few seperate arcade one for Sega Model 1, 2, 3 and the Crystal System to go with emulators that people are using for them.
I couldn't decide how to tackle these. Here you go:
Spoiler
Sega-Model-1.jpg Sega-Model-2.jpg Sega-Model-3.jpg Crystal-System.jpg
If you had something else in mind or have a better idea, just let me know and I will make it a reality.