LaunchBox Community Forums

Nasty Emails

Jason Carr

Every once in a while (maybe once every couple of months), I get a nasty email like this:
Spoiler
I've been doing emulation since 1997. This is the ONLY site I can remember that actually requires an e-mail to get a download link! What's the value add for me? ZERO. In fact I have a few extra hoops to jump trough jsut to get the file. So my net balance is in fact negative. For you? Who know what you are doing with our emails... Sell them to the Russian mafia so they can spam me to death? The point is, trying too hard is always detrimental to your objective. I suppose you want to instill some sort of loyalty so you can send your newsletter or something to try to sell the premium version. That's a huge mistake to try to impose, force my hand and shove down my throat your stuff. I should be minimally able to opt-out and ideally to opt-in and that would have been totally different. If your service/product offering is not good enough to stand on its own, if your product can not generate the necessary appeal all by itself, if you must resort to some questionable tactics or to use force to enroll people, then you are doing it wrong. Very, very, very wrong. For all those reasons, I have uninstalled launchbox and will never use it again. Until I can freely download it and freely subscribe to a news letter with my e-mail IF and WHEN I want. It's very sad because it is otherwise a great product. Until then, good luck.
I refuse to acknowledge/respond to these people directly. The last thing I want to do is anger someone further into some sort of stupid retaliation. Just posting it here as a coping mechanism really. Here's how I'd very much like to respond:
Spoiler
Ha, good luck to you then. My objective is to be able to work on this full time, so that I'm able to devote all my efforts towards this to benefit the product and the community as much as possible. Thanks to the email requirement, we're getting closer all the time. The email requirement has *enabled* me to take this to the next step, and has grown traffic by at least 300%. So, though people do find it annoying (myself included), you're alone in your own little bitter party over there. I get what you're saying, but unfortunately business is business, and you're wrong. Like it or not, people respond much better when reminded. We don't live in a perfect world where marketing isn't needed. So good luck to you. Nobody really cares whether you use the app or not. Nor does anyone really care that you've been doing emulation since 1997. While you're in the corner throwing tantrums, LaunchBox gains 100+ new users every day, without you or your approval.
But I'll refrain from responding like that. (Nevermind the fact that I just did.) ;)

You can't really please everyone, but you know this. Ironically too, once you have the download as long you keep updating, you never need to do it again. xD Don't let it get to you too much, I appreciate you and your efforts. So much so that I do a lot of things for the project. Quite a few people here do. You fostered a community that several of us love. Be more proud of what has spawned of this website rather than one person who is mad for a very small reason.

I totally agree with SentiaBrads sentiments it is sad that individuals like that think they have absolute right to put demands on a person. i for one never minded the fact of supplying an email address, its required on social networks and lots of emulation sites, try using Facebook without one see how you get on? @Jason dont let it dwell inside too much it is really not worrying over people like that are never happy and always have a gripe with something. We all her appreciate what lengths that you go to both with LaunchBox/BigBox as well as here on the forum always answering. And also the people on here are always willing to help as well. So just chalk it up as one for the spam box and know that we appreciate what you do and that also includes you giving out your email without a quibble when we need help which i might add the individual didnt care to mention.

Thank you guys. Martin, ha, that's a good point. Yeah, I know all that; every once in a while someone just gets on my nerves and makes me want to curse them into oblivion. I guess what gets to me the most is that these people really think that I care *that* much about *them in particular* using the app that I would change everything just for them. They must think I'm desperate or something lol. No harm done, just shaking the dust off my feet.

That cats a d0uc#3 b4g the internet is full of them (the real world to for that matter). Its better that you just stay professional and don't respond to that type of BS. For one he sounds crazy since he was falsely accusing you of having some hidden malicious intent I think that maybe his tinfoil hat was on just a little to tight.

Jason I think you're doing a great job. I have to say I've never come into contact with any application that gets updated as quickly as this one. It's obvious there is constant work going into this from you and the other contributors, I really appreciate that. Every once in a while I get an idea of something that could make this better and before I even have a chance to suggest it you've already added it. Thanks for the hard work.