LaunchBox Community Forums

LaunchBox Merch T-Shirt Design Contest!

Jason Carr

Hey everyone, this week we introduced a shiny new Merch store! We're looking to flesh it out with a few more interesting, hilarious, and/or unique t-shirt designs, so we need your help! Submit your original designs here, and if we use your design, we'll send you the completed t-shirt for free, as well as a free premium license! Feel free to share ideas and/or collaborate as well; we’ll make sure everyone involved in the final design gets a free shirt and a premium license to keep or give away to a friend. Keep in mind that we are not setting a limit of any kind on how many designs will be approved. We'll pick the designs based on how unique, funny, and well done they are, and if there are lots of great designs, then we'll have lots of different t-shirts available! Please make sure that all submitted designs are original and are not stolen from anywhere else, as we will need the rights to the design in order to be able to reproduce it on t-shirts. Upload your designs in PNG format right here in this thread. Please make sure that the design is large enough to print on the t-shirt as well; designs should be at least 800 x 800 pixels large, but may need to be even bigger depending on how much of the t-shirt the design will cover. If you have an idea but are not an artist, feel free to share your idea and someone else in the thread can help with the design...and you'll both get a free shirt! Thanks to all; we can't wait to see what everyone comes up with. :)

Been using launchbox for a while now and I really enjoy the software, but I had to make an account to post here with regards to your contest. I know you're not some big company with megabucks to spend, so a contest seems like a great and cheap way to get some "free" design work done, but you're seriously devaluing both designers out there and your own product. Expecting people to put in time and effort for free, or at best, for "potential" compensation, means you're going to get hobbyists (or horribly naive younger designers) and an overall lower quality of submissions. I apologize if this comes across as nagging, but I realize that most people out there don't realize how these contests tend to harm new professional designers from getting work contracts and folks like yourself receiving a better quality of design. If you care to, this website can explain everything in better detail and with more eloquence than I can, so feel free to give it a gander. It's geared towards bigger companies to some degree, but the overall message applies here as well. http://www.nospec.com/ With that said, I hope to see launchbox continue to evolve and improve. Whatever decision you make regarding this contest, I hope it pans out for you as well!

Hi @dhobo, I understand your point of view; we're not looking for professionals here, only for hobbyists to have some fun. Frankly, there's nothing wrong with that. If anyone views this as work, then please don't do it. For what it's worth, I don't buy the whole "NEVER DO ANYTHING FOR FREE" mindset. I am a developer myself (of course), and I've spent over 10 very successful years in the industry, which I am very grateful for. I still enjoy it and I enjoy screwing around with stuff like this from time to time. It is your choice to participate, and there's nothing wrong with having a little fun with it.

Yea, we could have paid someone, but that wasn't the point. We want to involve our community in a lot of facets of what we do and this is one of them. Transparency is our goal and including the people here in Contests, Giveaways, Video's, Interacting with them on a personal level, etc etc etc, will never stop. There is a reason why we grew so fast and we won't stop being who we are. That said, someone could come up with a great design that we can then take to someone professional to flesh out, I do know professional artists I could contact to pay, but again this isn't the point. We have technically all we need, this is meant to be more fun than just purchasing someones time. We're not devaluing anything, the look and logo of the Kodi when it re-branded from XBMC came from the community, and I don't think the person was a professional who won, just a bit of time and a little know how. A lot of people have great ideas and great minds out there but don't feel comfortable sharing or comfortable putting them self out there. What if a young kid wants to get in to creating art and he started here? Unlikely but again, we want to include our community in something and that wont ever change.

In regards to a design. I am not very good at computer based design but still would like to say what my idea is for a t-shirt. I would like the box you currently use in centre of t-shirt , then a rocket coming out of it with sparks coming out of bottom of the box. Then above the rocket in an arc shape the words Launch Box in a Modern Font. I would choose red for the rocket. Sorry not very good at explaining things sometimes lol but I have tried. Cool

Okay, since people in Colorado sometimes think 'differently' (must be the thin air Wink), I was thinking on these lines (for my first pass): You're looking over the left shoulder (a few feet back and somewhat elevated) of a cartoonish looking person in front of a screen that has BigBox on it, and the top of the Gamer's skull is missing, and instead of a regular brain, it looks like a LaunchBox mini-Rubik's Cube is their brain. Laugh And, of course, this Gamer will be wearing a T-shirt with that picture on it, so in theory, you'll get the 'infinitely smaller picture' thing going. Laugh

Hola! Soy argentino, y he hecho dos modos del mismo logo, es que depende del modo en que se ponga el logo. Si se pone en el centro, en grande convendría mas el primero. En cambio si se pusiera en una esquina superior de la camiseta, convendría el segundo. / Hi! I am Argentine , and I've done two ways the same logo , it is that it depends on how the logo is placed. If you set in the center, but the first big should . However if you put in an upper corner of the shirt, should the latter. 1° Logo-Launchbox1.pngLogo-Launchbox-2.png Gracias por mirarlos / Thank you for looking at them

Thanks for the reasonable responses, it's a touchy subject amongst professional designers as design "contests" get to be more commonplace and hurt the design industry as a whole. I too don't subscribe to the "never do anything for free" mindset, I am a firm believer in donating my time and efforts to support people and projects that I feel are deserving who could use it! I also agree the idea of getting your fanbase involved in the process, as it helps foster a great community. If people are fine with donating their time so you can sell merch based on their efforts, then great! That's their decision to make and I fully support that. If you're interested in a relatively low-cost alternative in the future that still gets the community involved, consider paying some small-time designers with portfolios you like to do some concept work for you and then have the community choose the designs they like best and take it from there. You get the best of both worlds this way.

Its like this really if Jason isn't going to pay for a designer to do the work anyway because that isn't really feasible then no designers have lost out on anything. Like if I torrent a movie that I was never going to pay to buy or see then to some I've stolen someones property but to me you weren't going to get my money anyway so what have you really lost. At this point Jason can't even be sure that any of these shirts will sell at all so I could see not wanting to put out the cost of the designer to something that may not fly but if the merch idea was to take off and then you have made some money but you need new shirt ideas then maybe getting a designer to help out wouldn't be a bad idea but not when you are just trying to see if there is even any interest in the product yet.

Yeah, the merch, to be honest, at this point, has not (yet) been a hit. I'm not against hiring a designer, that's for sure. But it's hard to go to a designer and say "I don't know what we need but make something cool." Lol. To be honest, I feel like there's more value in an idea than a design. So if we come up with an excellent idea or two, I'd be very happy to go have it designed. More than anything, though, I'd love to come up with some hilarious, unique t-shirt *ideas*.