LaunchBox Community Forums

Nintendo Gamecube/wii emulator build - New

nmc

Hello all, It has been a long time since i´ve posted here, but life got in the way. For those who dont know there´s a new dolphin build that can run every single game without lag/stutter or graphical issues on low end pc´s. Now you can play your copies with almost zero issues. You can grab it here: https://forums.dolphin-emu.org/Thread-unofficial-ishiiruka-dolphin-custom-version Just don´t forget to create a blank text document "portable.txt" inside the emu, this will save all your configs inside the document.

Ok, so I finally had time to look at your link. This is an unofficial port of Dolphin, that is based on an older build. It works, but it isn't perfect. I still had issues with this one. It however can play some games that Dolphin can't really well, but Dolphin can play some games better. However, its still a really damn good option. I just want everyone to know that this isn't the normal Dolphin Emulator.

At a certain point, no amount of speed hacks can make low end PC's run certain emulators. The general rule of thumb is that the system needed to run the emulator at a full to decent speed needs to be 3-6x more powerful than the machine you are emulating; and the Gamecube was more powerful than the PS2. The PS2 was the weakest of the 3 consoles that generation. 485 MHz x3, x4, x5 etc. This emulator achieves its higher frame rate and speed by a lot of speed hacks. Code shortcuts. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, but its compatibility can be just as bad and if there is a 32bit version it doesn't take full use of modern 64bit API's. Specific game fixes and speed hacks make certain problem games run, others not run. Emulating is not easy what so ever. Not that anyone said this, just a statement. It's still a good emulator fork, but its just an alternative.

Ok I usually only run it on two of my computers one is a Core i7 4770 with a GeForce 750 TI which Dolphin works very good on and the other is a core i5 3330 using the integrated graphics (slim case PC with ridiculously weak mini PSU so no room or power for a graphic card) which seems to handle most things ok.

Welp, I tried that build with Sonic Colors on my son's PC, which had been running with a slight drop in frame rate as compared to on the actual Wii. For whatever reason, it actually ran slightly worse. Had more hiccups and such, and seemed to be slower in general. So I went back to the official version and changed the internal resolution to be 1x, which means to use the actual original Wii resolution, and surprise, surprise, runs as smooth as the Wii itself. So that was good to know.