LaunchBox Community Forums

Steam Controller

bd00

Yes low latency Bluetooth. If you prefer a wired connection, you can connect it to your PC using the USB cable. Also, the API will actually allow up to 16 controllers to be connected to a single machine. Pretty pointless I guess, at least for 99.99% of situations, but who knows what the future will bring.

Nice! I personally don't have any issues with Bluetooth. I have a ton of wired controllers mostly Logitech F310's but I recently grabbed RetroLink controllers for Nintendo NES, SNES, N64, GC, Sega Genesis, Saturn and Atari I also have a pair of F710's a Logitech G27 racing wheel Logitech 3D Pro 2x Sabrent 12 button gamepad 2x Mayflash Arcade Fighting Sticks. I also have a Moga Pocket a Steel Series Free Ipega II and Ipega telescopic Bluetooth controllers. The Moga and the Steel Series don't work with any of my Windows PC's for some reason but I love both of the Ipega controllers especially the telescopic controller I am using it with a Razr Maxx (not my phone just an extra wifi device I grabbed cheap) and it makes an awesome handheld I am using it with a 32 GB micro SD card that has full ROM sets for NES SNES Gameboy (Advanced Colored and original) Sega GameGear SMS Genesis 32X Atari 2600 ColecoVision Neo Geo Pocket Color and Turbo Grafix 16. It also has MAME4Droid and PPSSPP. So despite having all of those controllers I am still looking for a nice Bluetooth controller that will work with Windows

Wow that is a lot of controller hardware you have there dos. I just use X360 for Windows pads these days. They are fully supported by Windows and work with the most games, out of the box, no configuration required. I have a bunch of old console controllers that I used to use, with those cheap Chinese converters (-USB), when playing emulators, but I don't bother these days. Maybe on occasions where I am feeling extra nostalgic. I love the idea of a mobile games machine like you described, it is something I have considered several times, but just never got round to it. Maybe one day. How do you find the emulation for Android? I have very little experience with it.

Most are right in the Google Play Store a few like Ataroid and Gearoid are from a developer who supposedly had his account revoked they are still available to download with a quick Google search I also think you may be able to grab them from Emuparadise.

My bad db000 it seems that I misread your question earlier. I find that the emulation is very solid for most consoles on Android but I am sticking with the more simple systems here. There a few N64 emulators but everyone I have tried render the graphics terribly so while I would love to emulate me some Mario Golf (more on my Android miniPC stick than on the phone) it just isn't playable. It does displays Mario Kart pretty well except if you set up a second controller the second player (again on the mini PC) window renders black and Mario Kart is way more fun when you get to shoot your brother with red turtle shells than by playing by yourself. Surprisingly the Android version of the PPSSPP emulator works very very well (its pretty sweet on Windows too when playing on a 50 inch TV) which is nice since even though it is a handheld system you get to play more modern style games.

Yeah, I imagined anything N64+ would have issues. Shame to hear it is so bad. Multiplayer Mario Kart is definitely what makes the game. My youngest brothers first (own, not a pass down) console was an N64 and every time I went round the first thing he would say to me was "Mario Kart or Goldeneye?" We had some great times on those two games and the best part was the whole family got involved, even Mum & Dad, they were just as addicted as we were. I even set up a pair of TV's linked to one console, blocked off half the screen on each with cardboard and we split into two teams so we couldn't see each others screens. Good times. I also was surprised when I first tried PPSSPP, I remember thinking "Wow, this is good!" it really does port well to the big screen, considering. @Jason Will report back when I get it. It is still a few months away though. Looking forward to trying it, I like the concept and really hope it 'is as practical'/'works' as stated. I have yet to find a decent (couch) replacement for the mouse/trackball and keyboard as of yet and my fingers are crossed that this is finally it. This is a big deal for Steam, this controller could literally make or break (or at least a great big dent) the whole Steam OS/Box thing. I am eager to see how this whole thing turns out.