LaunchBox Community Forums

PS2 - Compressed all my games as CSO's, 378 games = 669GB

SentaiBrad

So yea, compressed all of my PS2 games (it took a while) as .cso's with maxcso and it saved me about 300-400GB? I remember it being about 1TB or so. So it's not as much as them being 7zipped or rared (not as big of a gap as you might think actually) and load times are not perceivably worse. I also don't have to deal with unzipping or raring each time I want to play the games too. I am hoping this becomes a thing for PS1 games too. cue sheets can point at any type of file technically speaking.

Ah good to know! I've compressed all my GC and Wii games as CSO/GCZ and WBFS, it took a while too, but around 200go saved. Didn't know CSOs work for PCSX2. I think I'm gonna compress all my games in this format, thanks to you Wink. For PS1, I'm using PBP files. But like you, I don't like the zipping process. I don't like doing that when it affects performance.

You could actually use YACC (Yet another CSO compressor) that you use for PSP games on PS2 games, but they don't support large discs (4.8GB+). maxcso was written by some of the PCSX2 devs and supports everything. I had corrupted trying to convert some of my bin games to iso, but once I re-downloaded them and converted them properly (use MagicIso to open the bin and literally just "saved as" with the game name.iso) and then put iso in the name of maxcso and dropped the exe in to my PS2 games folder, I searched "iso" in the Windows search so it would open all my sub folders, then put that in to list view and sorted it by size. So maxcso was at the top with the smallest games first, and I just compressed a bunch at a time. I only ever did 3-4 at a time because it eats CPU and my work (LaunchBox and YouTube) requires my PC.

DOS76 said WOW! I have an insane PS2 library at around 3.58 TBs so this could probably save me an insane amount of space. Did you test the new files and make sure they worked.
I only tested a few, but yea they work. Load times don't seem to take much longer either, if at all.

Yea sometimes the savings are great, sometimes they're a bit on the smaller side. It'd be kind of the same with 7zip or WinRar, the games that can be compressed more will still have the biggest %'s taken off. The beauty about maxcso though is if a game doesn't play right you can uncompress it by dragging the cso back on to maxcso and it should go back to an iso.

Is there an easy way to change files extensions for an entire plateform in launchbox ? After being compressed, it's really boring to change manually and one by one every file extension for every game in Launchbox (ctrl+e > change name.iso by name.cso > ok > repeat).

Not that I know of. You can just change them on a need to basis or completely remove them and import your new files all of your data and images would be associated with the new file without having to download them again as long as you don't delete the folders.

• 3 weeks later...
Here's a guide, apparently you can compress/trim/all around reduce the size of PSX, DS, even GBA. https://www.reddit.com/r/emulation/comments/3g933n/guide_reduce_the_size_of_your_ps2_gc_wii_x360_ds/ I'll be testing some of this out in the near future as I filled up my 4tb external just recently.