LaunchBox Community Forums

Some features still missing.

Jason Carr

Hi @wirtual82, unfortunately I can't make any promises as to when anything will be ready. I do my best to add the features/functionality that is most requested first. Unfortunately, while those items are important and are on my list, they are currently not the most requested additions. Rest assured that I'll get to them as soon as I can. What do you mean by gamebase import feature?

• 5 weeks later...
Hi @wirtual82, currently you are able to multiple filter things by using a combination of the sidebar filters, the search box, and Arrange By. To be honest, I don't see us heading in this direction because it seems much better suited for things like music than games. Still, thanks for opening up the discussion. I'd be curious what everybody thinks; if the community agrees that we should head in this direction I'd definitely listen.

Per the list view, both of those features are planned but will not make it into the 5.3 release. Sorting favorite games at the top is only for Big Box, and it's in the Big Box Games List options. Have you been getting error messages for those crashes? It's always very helpful if you can report them. I did get one report yesterday that I'm looking into. I believe I do have half-star ratings and multiple tag selections on my list. I'll add arrow buttons to the list. :)

The custom filter window is due for a revamp, indeed. I'm guessing the issues with the "crashes" you're seeing are just due to the time it takes to populate the drop downs. For very large collections, this can be an unfortunately long time, and LaunchBox appears to crash while it's working. This is more of an issue with Windows combo box controls, but of course I need to come up with a solution. I've noted all the other requests. :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
wirtual82 said Another thing I will find very useful: Tagging games and searching them by tags. Greetings!
A lot of that could be achieved with custom filters though. As long as the rest of the metadata like Genre, developer and other default metadata is uniform and consistent it should work the same way you are describing. Maybe a tag's field can be added to the Edit view of a game and the Custom Filters but this is more or less what you're asking for right?

Nathan DiYorio said Tags would be useful for giving a game specific search terms without adding any new fields to the navigation pane... it makes LB more useful and also reduces screen clutter.
Yea that's how I thought of it, but I still have to always check and ask if so and so meant this or that. Sometimes people don't realize the features that we do have. Tag's I can see being very useful, but I wonder how much more useful if / when we have our metadata more uniformed through the LaunchBox Games DB.

As for images, as long as they're the name of the game you can just drag and drop them in to the folder, but it probably could use expanding. Knowing about the Database though you see why it wasn't a priority. Custom Fields, Tags and Filters, like anything else, can always use expansion. If you have a decent sized library and some drop down menu's and especially custom filters are giving you lag and then crashes, I am not surprised. That needs a performance upgrade. If you are trying to change the custom filters, change it and try to wait a min before doing anything else. I lag during that myself with 15k items in my library. That's a known bug we need to fix. Because it's crashing too is probably the reason why nothing is saving. If you have any feature requests you're more than welcome to use the "Feature Request" button at the top of any forum page. I ask that you try to search first to see if your request already exists and vote on that ticket instead. Same goes for bugs. If a ticket exists sort of, and you want to expand on it further you can leave a comment on the ticket.

wirtual82 said
SentaiBrad said As for images, as long as they're the name of the game you can just drag and drop them in to the folder, but it probably could use expanding. Knowing about the Database though you see why it wasn't a priority.
Re-naming images would be very tedious, though, I must say, I used a re-namer app to make things faster. Anyways, I think Launchbox should support such basic functions in the future. Speaking of filters, I think there should be an ability to select a few filters at the same time, which would exclude all other fields automatically. Currently, you can choose only ONE filter.
Even if you don't manually rename it, edit a game and click it's image icon then select the image. It imports it and renames it. A renaming function in theory is a good idea except that it would require a lot of work from the user anyways, there isn't a good way to run an automatic re-namer like that. It is different from FileBot because you still have to tell it the show name before it goes through and fixes it up. It either guesses the show name or you input it, then it parses what season and episode it is based on the information it can read on the files then renames everything. Except in this case there is no basis or starting point. With the open Database though it is going to be less of an issue. We hope for that to be way more filled out then it is so that most users don't have to manually find images. this will hopefully solve that problem for everyone. As for expanded custom filters, I am sure that has been suggested on BitBucket. https://bitbucket.org/jasondavidcarr/launchbox/issues?status=new&status=open&q=custom+filters&sort=-votes Anyone can search for these things, vote and leave comments. If something you want doesn't exist you can create it, then others can vote and comment on it.

• 2 weeks later...
The issue is that the data we have is from the GamesDB, which was pretty lacking for Amiga. Jason is working hard on the LaunchBoxDB, and when it is ready to accept new data, which shouldn't be too long, then we will be able to add every missing platform and game. I too am hanging out for Amiga, but it won't be long now.