LaunchBox Community Forums

ability to relocate game directories yet?

retropwned

I've been using it for a few years and had issues with individual disk but not the software. Its very highly regarded in the home server community. I have 4 MediaSonic ProBox 4 bay drive enclosures these are working good now after I updated the firmware for a while they had issues with the drives disconnecting if you tried to use them over USB 3.0 but since the newer firmware they are solid too. The ProBoxes are only a $100 on Amazon (I use the non-raid version). Program isn't free but has excellent support. If you were to go the multibay drives I'll let you know from my own experience if you crack open an enclosure and disconnect the drive from the enclosures controller card your computer won't recognize the data it will report the drive as RAW. You have to copy all the data to another drive before removing it and then reformat afterwards.

The only hang up I have over the software, and even the setup that I posted about, is when a program or game's files are split between two or more drives. If one crashes and the files are gone it's now more hastle to figure out what broke. Unless you made a backup of each drive and / or the entire drive bay / array. That would require double the drives though.

If one drive crashes its not a problem as long as you have folder duplication setup this doesn't protect against two drives failing but you can even change the amount of duplication you wish to use. It also has features to enable per folder file placement so if you have a folder say with 29 RAR files you can set that folder to duplicate on the same two drives so all of your files are still together. That said I do have a second server that only has 1x duplication set up (so no duplication) and that has a copy of most of my data (I haven't updated it in a while). I would like to find some good syncing software but haven't really gotten around to doing so yet. Too much time spent fiddling with LaunchBox. @Cadscott I actually forgot that the pool parts are hidden folders I always set Windows Explorer to show hidden folders since I'm a big boy and won't go around breaking stuff (mostly).

I don't have the money to buy the External Drive Bay I want, let alone drives to fill it with (I might take the externals I have now to save on space, + one of the cases is super old and broken) but then I also don't have the money to buy duplicate sized drives to then back everything up. xD

DOS76 said If one drive crashes its not a problem as long as you have folder duplication setup this doesn't protect against two drives failing but you can even change the amount of duplication you wish to use. It also has features to enable per folder file placement so if you have a folder say with 29 RAR files you can set that folder to duplicate on the same two drives so all of your files are still together. That said I do have a second server that only has 1x duplication set up (so no duplication) and that has a copy of most of my data (I haven't updated it in a while). I would like to find some good syncing software but haven't really gotten around to doing so yet. Too much time spent fiddling with LaunchBox. @Cadscott I actually forgot that the pool parts are hidden folders I always set Windows Explorer to show hidden folders since I'm a big boy and won't go around breaking stuff (mostly).
I actually use a combination of DrivePool's mirror syncing and another program called SnapRAID for parity syncing of data that is less important (Movies and TV shows). SnapRAID is really easy to setup, reliable and it is free!