LaunchBox Community Forums

Non-installed Steam/GOG Galaxy/Origin games import feature

CliveBarker

SentaiBrad said Saddly, I don't think steamdb.info can help... It might, but the problem isn't knowing the name, its picking the correct game from the two places we currently scrape games from.
Perhaps a popup offering the user the option when a game with more than one similar title exists? For me, the problem exists with games that are not found in the TheGamesDB database. For example, trying to import the Daedalic adventure game "1954 Alcatraz" into Launchbox returns the choice of an Infogrames title from 1992 simply called "Alcatraz," or "Project Alcatraz" which, if I remember, is a third-person shooter published by 1C. Otherwise, it doesn't exist. Yet, it's found easily on Steamdb.info.

Hippyshake said
SentaiBrad said Saddly, I don't think steamdb.info can help... It might, but the problem isn't knowing the name, its picking the correct game from the two places we currently scrape games from.
Perhaps a popup offering the user the option when a game with more than one similar title exists? For me, the problem exists with games that are not found in the TheGamesDB database. For example, trying to import the Daedalic adventure game "1954 Alcatraz" into Launchbox returns the choice of an Infogrames title from 1992 simply called "Alcatraz," or "Project Alcatraz" which, if I remember, is a third-person shooter published by 1C. Otherwise, it doesn't exist. Yet, it's found easily on Steamdb.info.
It's found there because it's most likely the only canidate where-as the scrapers we currently use have to attempt a catch all. Ultimatly if we can use something like SteamDB as a scraper, that could be a good idea but we need to make sure its something we can use and download through LB with fair use. It's the reason we only have two locations right now and thats because they offer up their data completely free under their license. It's a hard fact we have to deal with. :( Curiously, is it found correctly on Wikipedia? Again, there isn't too much we can do to narrow it down. When it comes down to it we can make exceptions, like the accented e on Pokemon, so that it's searched correctly; But essentially making it go the other direction is a lot harder.

Yeah, if the data at steamdb.info can't be used because of licensing reasons, we as community will have to fill those entries at TheGamesDB.net, I will do this for my game collection. One positive thing about this, is that you can upload your own screenshots and art and they will be used by other members.

CliveBarker said Yeah, if the data at steamdb.info can't be used because of licensing reasons, we as community will have to fill those entries at TheGamesDB.net, I will do this for my game collection. One positive thing about this, is that you can upload your own screenshots and art and they will be used by other members.
Yea, I added several dozen for DOS. It's a bit laborous. If you guys make additions to TGDB, we can pull that data off later. If we create our own DB, we could have users upload from directly in LB instead of a website.

SentaiBrad said It's found there because it's most likely the only canidate where-as the scrapers we currently use have to attempt a catch all. Ultimatly if we can use something like SteamDB as a scraper, that could be a good idea but we need to make sure its something we can use and download through LB with fair use. It's the reason we only have two locations right now and thats because they offer up their data completely free under their license. It's a hard fact we have to deal with. :( Curiously, is it found correctly on Wikipedia? Again, there isn't too much we can do to narrow it down. When it comes down to it we can make exceptions, like the accented e on Pokemon, so that it's searched correctly; But essentially making it go the other direction is a lot harder.
Ah, that makes sense. Better to be safe, then. :) I had forgotten to check Wikipedia but, sadly, no; it's not there yet. I'll make an entry on theGamesDB for it, but I have somewhere in the neighborhood of 800 Steam games and around 150 of them aren't cataloged. I guess I'll need to set aside some free time this weekend. :) Thanks for the great program, and the reply!

Hey guys, thanks for testing and the feedback. The biggest issue is that matching up the games between Steam and TheGamesDB is a challenge, because of the obvious possible variations in the names of games. I wonder if differences in languages makes the issue worse, too (if some game titles are in Spanish and TheGamesDB has them in English...). I definitely see far better than 50% for my own collection, more like 90%. So perhaps that's an issue to deal with. Grabbing data from SteamDB is actually a good idea, as it could replace TGDB for Steam games, to a certain extent. Though I don't think SteamDB has things like fanart, but I could be wrong. I just put out a new beta with a Windows game search as well. Any testing you guys can do on that would also be appreciated. :) Clive, I need to send you new language files here soon.

Jason Carr said Hey guys, thanks for testing and the feedback. The biggest issue is that matching up the games between Steam and TheGamesDB is a challenge, because of the obvious possible variations in the names of games. I wonder if differences in languages makes the issue worse, too (if some game titles are in Spanish and TheGamesDB has them in English...). I definitely see far better than 50% for my own collection, more like 90%. So perhaps that's an issue to deal with.
Right now, I'm at 81.25% cataloged, but those are unchecked for errors (as I have found errors in my MS-DOS collection). In any case, a percentage is pretty useless as a gauge; if I had a collection of 100 correctly cataloged games, I'd be at 100%. It's down more to the database than Launchbox from what I've seen so far.
Jason Carr said Grabbing data from SteamDB is actually a good idea, as it could replace TGDB for Steam games, to a certain extent. Though I don't think SteamDB has things like fanart, but I could be wrong. I just put out a new beta with a Windows game search as well. Any testing you guys can do on that would also be appreciated. :
You've got it! :) EDIT: Posting over on the Beta Test thread.
SentaiBrad said Yea, I added several dozen for DOS. It's a bit laborous. If you guys make additions to TGDB, we can pull that data off later. If we create our own DB, we could have users upload from directly in LB instead of a website.
I've added 1954 Alcatraz last night, and I have a few quiet hours this morning, so I'm going to add as many as I can. If either of you can just PM me a list of games you need added, I'll get to them as soon as possible. Once I get them in, I'll delete them all from LB and see if it finds them correctly. After ruminating over the night about it, I still think using SteamDB is a good idea but not having it right now is forcing us to create entries in theGamesDB that will benefit future users of LaunchBox, and that's a very good thing, imo.

Hippyshake said Back on topic, I'd like to add a request that Desura be added as well, please. I'm a bundle junkie and, for me, the potential for LaunchBox to allow me to finally see all of my collections at once is huge.
Does Desura implement DRM to their games? It can be a good implementation, but I think Jason said that every game platform is kinda different and not everyone store your game IDs in your computer, I don't really know anything about this subject. So far we got Steam and that is a huge one, there is a small list of those who can be implemented but I don't know if its possible from a technical perspective, those are: -Desura -Origin client -Uplay -GOG Galaxy (its not even released yet, but since GOG is DRM-free I think it will be no problem in implementing an import feature) Oh, and Jason, you can send me those new resource files to my gmail or hotmail anytime!

CliveBarker said Does Desura implement DRM to their games? It can be a good implementation, but I think Jason said that every game platform is kinda different and not everyone store your game IDs in your computer, I don't really know anything about this subject. So far we got Steam and that is a huge one, there is a small list of those who can be implemented but I don't know if its possible from a technical perspective, those are: -Desura -Origin client -Uplay -GOG Galaxy (its not even released yet, but since GOG is DRM-free I think it will be no problem in implementing an import feature) Oh, and Jason, you can send me those new resource files to my gmail or hotmail anytime!
I'm not sure about Desura's DRM or database, but we can at least import installed games (the way Steam used to work within LaunchBox). I believe the default location is C:/Desura/Common As far as GOG goes, it might be worth talking with the company now about working together, while their client is still in its infancy. There is still a LOT of work to be done on Galaxy, and it's not even recognizing all of their own catalog at the moment (although it looks as if they've almost got that fixed). I can also drop a message on the forum if it would help.

Hippyshake said
CliveBarker said Does Desura implement DRM to their games? It can be a good implementation, but I think Jason said that every game platform is kinda different and not everyone store your game IDs in your computer, I don't really know anything about this subject. So far we got Steam and that is a huge one, there is a small list of those who can be implemented but I don't know if its possible from a technical perspective, those are: -Desura -Origin client -Uplay -GOG Galaxy (its not even released yet, but since GOG is DRM-free I think it will be no problem in implementing an import feature) Oh, and Jason, you can send me those new resource files to my gmail or hotmail anytime!
I'm not sure about Desura's DRM or database, but we can at least import installed games (the way Steam used to work within LaunchBox). I believe the default location is C:/Desura/Common As far as GOG goes, it might be worth talking with the company now about working together, while their client is still in its infancy. There is still a LOT of work to be done on Galaxy, and it's not even recognizing all of their own catalog at the moment (although it looks as if they've almost got that fixed). I can also drop a message on the forum if it would help.
We have talked about every service in the past. If Desura has an API they offer up for free then it wouldn't be too hard. I do know that Desura games are handeled a bit more efficiently than Steam, so it might actually be easier. GOG is going to be a lot harder. I personally put all my GOG games in one folder so its just a matter of searching it, but I want to call it GOG and once it searches up it will be PC. The same could be done for Desura games I would assume... we would really only need a specific search for the games if we could launch it similar to how Steam currently does it which is handy. I would want that labeled Desura though, not Steam. Or.... back to our badge system Jason and I have been kicking around. A Gog, Steam and Desura badge could fix that all, and I wouldn't mind all of the games being in a PC category.

I am hoping that the new Windows search will help to find a lot (if not all) of the GOG, Desura, Uplay, and Origin games. I could use some reports on how many of those games it finds, and games that it doesn't find. That would help me to adjust it to find more games. I'm hoping that the Windows search will just find them all. I haven't looked in too much detail, but I doubt GOG, Desura, Uplay, or Origin have APIs that could be used to find all games that you own, instead of just your installed games. But I could be wrong, let me know if anyone knows about any APIs for those platforms.

Jason Carr said I am hoping that the new Windows search will help to find a lot (if not all) of the GOG, Desura, Uplay, and Origin games. I could use some reports on how many of those games it finds, and games that it doesn't find. That would help me to adjust it to find more games. I'm hoping that the Windows search will just find them all. I haven't looked in too much detail, but I doubt GOG, Desura, Uplay, or Origin have APIs that could be used to find all games that you own, instead of just your installed games. But I could be wrong, let me know if anyone knows about any APIs for those platforms.
I could do that for you tomorrow morning. Also, I'd like to cast my vote as well for separating game folders as we'd like, instead of them all going under "PC." :)

Thanks, Hippyshake. I organize my collection that way too (Windows, MS-DOS, etc.), so that's one thing I'd like to see too. Unfortunately, though, we're still somewhat limited by TheGamesDB, as they currently only have PC. I'm hoping that this all will be solved eventually with a new metadata/images system.

Jason Carr said Thanks, Hippyshake. I organize my collection that way too (Windows, MS-DOS, etc.), so that's one thing I'd like to see too. Unfortunately, though, we're still somewhat limited by TheGamesDB, as they currently only have PC. I'm hoping that this all will be solved eventually with a new metadata/images system.
Can't we do something post scan. Ask the user after its all done if they would like to rename or mass alter something from what was just edited? This could solve the problem. I import GOG games, let them all get found then when its done edit just those games system back to GOG?

SentaiBrad said
Duckeenie said No disrespect to yourself or LB but Scarlett Johansson is over-rated in my view. Morena Baccarin is clearly a goddess though :)
... huh?
Your reply is amusingly ironic. I was relating to the OP's opening paragraph.