LaunchBox Community Forums

Non-installed Steam/GOG Galaxy/Origin games import feature

CliveBarker

I'm going to bed soon, it is quite late/early here, but I will try it tomorrow if you still need help. I still have a few days off and not too much to do. Though I really should be playing some of these games while I have the chance.

Jason Carr said Ugh, that sucks, John. Congrats on your Fusion though. I'm gonna work on a debug version here in a few minutes that I'll upload here and everyone can try. It should be up in less than an hour.
Thanks, Jason, The Fusion is a nice car, but I'll miss my convertible. This one has a sun roof though, so my girlfriend thinks it's a compromise. :) We're just getting home and getting something to eat , then bed...got 2 hours sleep last night. In the morning though, I'll put the new beta through its paces!

Sounds good guys. So here's the deal...this isn't an official beta release, or really an official release of any kind, so please don't use it for your real collection. Just download this EXE, put it in a new, empty folder, and run it. It should come up with a brand new LaunchBox instance. Run the wizard to import your Windows games, up to the point where it lists all the games that it will import. At that point, you should have a new "ImportLog.txt" file in the same folder where you put the EXE (where you ran it from). Upload that ImportLog.txt file here, and hopefully that will make it easy to see what's going on. It'll be really, really long, so we'll want to upload it instead of just pasting the contents here. Hopefully this'll help us get it fixed. Thanks guys. :) https://www.dropbox.com/s/luy33ik26kz68ef/LaunchBoxTroubleshootingBuild.exe?dl=0

Jason Carr said Sounds good guys. So here's the deal...this isn't an official beta release, or really an official release of any kind, so please don't use it for your real collection. Just download this EXE, put it in a new, empty folder, and run it. It should come up with a brand new LaunchBox instance. Run the wizard to import your Windows games, up to the point where it lists all the games that it will import. At that point, you should have a new "ImportLog.txt" file in the same folder where you put the EXE (where you ran it from). Upload that ImportLog.txt file here, and hopefully that will make it easy to see what's going on. It'll be really, really long, so we'll want to upload it instead of just pasting the contents here. Hopefully this'll help us get it fixed. Thanks guys. :) https://www.dropbox.com/s/luy33ik26kz68ef/LaunchBoxTroubleshootingBuild.exe?dl=0
Hi Jason, for some reason is not generating the log for me, there is no ImportLog.txt file anywhere in the folder, if you need me to use join.me for you to check it, tell me.

Alright guys, I put out a new beta version. In Clive's case, the issue was that for some reason Windows is telling LaunchBox that he doesn't have access to his Start menu folders, which I don't understand. Why wouldn't a user have read access to their own Start menu? Anyways, I've changed it to at least handle that situation gracefully. I'm curious how this latest version works for everyone. Also, feel free to try the LaunchBoxTroubleshootingBuild2 release above and send me the ImportLog.txt file; that may help as well. Thanks again, folks. Bed time for me finally.

I'm sorry for you to wake up to bad news, Jason, but on running 4.9 beta 1, I received error messages: Error When I closed that window it hadn't found anything to import. I then installed the second testing version and it did a scan but didn't find anything. It appears that the only thing it's scanning is the Start Menu. It's picking up dead shortcuts (which I've verified are, in fact, dead), but it's also not finding the ones that actually work. Log is attached. I hope this helps.

It worked for me. Found both .lnk and .exe files. Also picked up Dolphin and PuTTY. Capture-1.png I used this one:
Jason Carr said Try this one instead now guys: https://www.dropbox.com/s/q1ni7ov0t2uarfh/LaunchBoxTroubleshootingBuild2.exe?dl=0

Hippyshake said Ok, now I'm even more confused. I have Battlefield 3, Bejeweled 3, and Dolphin installed. Why isn't it seeing them for me?
Beats me! Maybe Jason could shed some light when he returns from slumber.

bd000 said
Hippyshake said Ok, now I'm even more confused. I have Battlefield 3, Bejeweled 3, and Dolphin installed. Why isn't it seeing them for me?
Beats me! Maybe Jason could shed some light when he returns from slumber.
LaunchBox is trolling at this point.

Hippyshake said Congrats, Clive! Is that v 4.9 beta 1?
Yeah, its 4.9 beta 1. I am not sure why is not working for you, but by reading your error box I can tell that you don't have the same issue as me, my error box said something about unauthorized access, and yours say null reference exception, and, since I am no programmer, I don't really know what that means.

Alright, I put out a new beta already. @Hippyshake, I'm hoping it solves your error, so you should see results again. I think what happened in John's case is I stupidly made a last-ditch change to look up to the parent folder another level when looking for GOG game shortcuts, and didn't check to make sure that folder actually existed (heh). So I'm hoping that's fixed now. Per Clive's issue, yeah, that's a completely separate issue. That one's more frustrating too, because I'm not sure there's anything I can do about it. From what I can tell though, it doesn't appear to be a typical situation. Still, I have no idea why Windows has his Start menu with those permissions. Does anyone else have Windows 7? Let me know if you see any more errors. It's also helpful to list the games you have in your Start menu that are missing from the list, and games that show up that aren't games. Thanks folks. :)